Pelini and YSU

falguin

Should Pelini be on the hot seat? Other than the playoff season, YSU has not been great. Pelini has also behaved poorly on the field. If he doesn't win this year, should YSU fire him?>

Sure,then who will they get to come to YoungsTown?...BAM!

I think there would be a lot of young coaches willing to come to Youngstown. The facilities at YSU are better than many FBS schools. If you haven't been to YSU's campus for twenty years or been to the downtown area lately, you will be shocked to see how nice the campus is and the downtown area. I'm shocked every time I go down to the campus because it has changed so much. I also think the area still has a good talent pool. Pelini just isn't doing the job.

Surprised Pelini isn't doing better. Especially since he got a bad deal at Nebraska... shouldn't have been fired from there to begin with. That playoff season did take them all the way to the national championship game, but back-to-back subpar seasons has got to be disappointing. Pelini being a Youngstown-native, it might take a little more than that to let go of him though. YSU is in a tough conference. The MVFC is solid. They're also a big outlier in that league. It's not a great fit for them, but FCS has little-to-no better options for YSU aside from the OVC. Nothing else is geographically close.

Surprised Pelini isn't doing better. Especially since he got a bad deal at Nebraska... shouldn't have been fired from there to begin with. That playoff season did take them all the way to the national championship game, but back-to-back subpar seasons has got to be disappointing. Pelini being a Youngstown-native, it might take a little more than that to let go of him though. YSU is in a tough conference. The MVFC is solid. They're also a big outlier in that league. It's not a great fit for them, but FCS has little-to-no better options for YSU aside from the OVC. Nothing else is geographically close.

Agree with everything you say. Having to travel to the Dakotas has to be a pain. When the closest league member is in Indiana, you will wrack up a lot of frequent flier miles. I did think that he got a bad deal in Nebraska, but winning there is easier than winning at YSU. Nebraska will have more than a few wins built into its schedule. All FBS teams from the major conferences play MAC like teams, which nine times out of ten, they will win. Then they will play one tough out of conference team. The worst a Nebraska team should be before conference play is 2-1 or 3-1 depending on how many out of conference games they play. Then once Nebraska got into BIG play, there are teams that they should beat because of tradition and money. Teams like Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois, and Minnesota are teams that Nebraska should beat on a regular basis. Then there are teams like Northwestern and Iowa who Nebraska will split with. Now the top teams (Michigan, tOSU, MSU, PSU) those are the teams Nebraska has a hard time beating and Pelini's inability to beat them got him fired. Basically, it should be pretty easy for a team like Nebraska to go 9-3 or 8-4 every year. Now try to play in a league that puts four or five teams in the playoffs every year. In YSU's league there is NDSU, SDSU, NIU, ISU, and Indiana SU all getting preseason top twenty-five rankings depending on the poll you look at. Then YSU plays a big FBS team like WVU or Pitt and it has a much tougher time getting to 7-4 or 8-3, which is needed to get into the playoffs. The loss to Butler last year was inexcusable. It was easy to watch the game, which unfortunately I did, and see that YSU was way more talented than that team. Plus, he blames the players for not executing on game day. That is his job. I hope he does better this year, but I have watched a lot of bad play calling, stupid antics on the sideline, and unmotivated play to think he should stay on. Even the one year they went to the playoffs it was a fluke that the starting QB was who it was. Injuries made Pelini play the QB who led them to the championship.

YSU is not ranked in any preseason polls. We didn't even get a team to watch reference. We are also picked to finish seventh in the conference. Things are not on the upswing. I hope that YSU surprises everyone, but I don't think it's going to happen. Pelini is 5-6. 6-5, and 4-7 outside of the one playoff year. The team always looks confused and flat. I was at the Butler game last year, and it was obvious that we had the better talent; but we were out of it. Losing to Butler might be worse than losing to Mount Union. Heacock and Wolford had too many 7-4 and 8-4 seasons. Back then those records wouldn't get you in the playoffs. Today they will and Pelini can't get there. Heacock and Wolford would have been in the playoffs multiple times if they were coaching today. Heacock won the conference one year and didn't get in. I just can't believe that the program is not getting any votes for preseason top 25. Three of Wolford's five seasons had seven wins or more. Heacock had five seasons of nine of seven wins or more. Pelini has one in four. Both Heacock and Wolford would never had been fired if they would have made the playoffs those years. Pelini should be fired after this year if doesn't get at least seven wins.

I have to agree with falguin.
For Pelini’s experience at Nebraska it sure is a let down not winning at least 7 games a year at YSU.
YSU’s conference is the best hands down not even close. I’m always torn whether they should stay or go.
And a 4-7 year is totally unacceptable.

Compare and contrast with what former Nebraska coach Frank Solich has done at Ohio U.

Solich has been consistently successful.

Sad sight for YSU. Started the season 4-0... although against generally subpar competition. Now, they've dropped to 0-3 in MVFC play and 4-3 overall. Clearly that weak out of conference slate didn't prepare them well. Although, the NEC might be a better fit... To their credit, two of their conference losses are against UNI and SDSU which are two of the better programs in the MVFC. However, this weekend they got blown out by a bad SIU team. Next weekend, it's a battle of basement teams with WIU and YSU going head-to-head. Not that the game matters much.

Terrible.. YSU needs to move on from Pelini. I guess YSU football is a has been. I get playing cup cakes to start the season. I think 4 is way too may however.

This is the annual YSU collapse. They look like they are going to do something and then they just get worse and worse while other teams improve. The SDSU game should have been ours, but players made bone headed decisions. It seems like this is a characteristic of Pelini's teams. I feel that YSU could be up 28 - 0 at half and still lose the game. It seems that other teams make all kinds of adjustments and YSU can adjust to them. Pelini had one good year and that was a fluke. Hunter Wells was on his way out the door when injuries caused him to play. He then led YSU to the NC. He got hurt the next year and YSU struggled. The thing is Pelini never would have started him even though he clearly should have. I think Pelini and his staff doesn't coach the players up, and when it comes to making the big plays, they always fall apart. He only needs to win seven games to get into the playoffs, and I don't think he will do it. ISU, SDU, Indiana SU, and NDSU are all tough games. We could lose all four. If Pelini doesn't win at least seven games, he should be gone.

I went to the NDSU game today. I really thought the YSU would give them a game or even pull off the upset. Nope, lost 56-17. If Pelini can't win the last three game and give the Guins a chance to get into the playoffs, he should be fired. I wasn't happy with the hire when it happened, and I am not surprised that we are losing. I did not think he did a good job at Nebraska, and this is what I thought would happen. This is just terrible. I don't know why tickets are $22. The should cut that in half. Then they need to fire Pelini and hire a winner from DII or a FBS coordinator from a winning program. We need someone who has been a part of big wins that they were not supposed to win. Pelini never had that many at Nebraska. Even the NDSU fans couldn't believe how poor we played. Pelini must go.

After this debacle, it's time for Pelini to go. I think he felt he would be able to walk into YSU win a couple of NC's and move on back up to FBS. After his tenor here, he will be lucky to get a job coaching special teams. Pelini's teams do not improve. That is the sign of a bad coach. Well-coached teams continue to get better, that is not happening at YSU. The team does not seem to have any fight in them. Two games are blown, and the team just dies. We might be able to beat SDU and ISU, but then we will have to play Illinois State with a chance for the playoffs. It won't happen. We won't win. If somehow things get turned around and YSU wins out, gets in the playoffs and wins a game or two, then Pelini should keep the job. If he loses any of these games, it's time for him to go. He seems tired and disinterested. YSU needs a young coach who is coming from a big time program that wins all the time. YSU needs somebody who is hungry like Tressel was when he got the job. Or they need a proven winner from DII who is looking to move up. I was at the game, and it was embarrassing. Even the NDSU fans were shocked by how little effort we put up against them. They were shaking their heads. That's when you know things are bad when your opponents' fans are dismayed at the state of the team. The one NC game was a fluke because Hunter Wells had no business being the QB because he would not have been because he only played because of injuries. Pelini wasn't even going to start him. These are his players, and they are not good. Short of winning out and winning a game or two in the playoffs, Pelini should be fired.

This should do it. How do you lose to a 3-6 team 56-21 when you still have a shot of getting on a run and getting into the playoffs. These guys have no fight in them. Pelini's teams never improve. I really think he wants out. Jobs like these are not for guys like Pelini. He was at the highest level in college football. He has been on NC teams and coached at Nebraska. Even if you have a love of Ytown, that does not mean that you really want to coach there after being on the biggest stage in college football. Plus, he has hired his buddies, and they are not good coaches. I didn't like the hire when he was hired because I didn't think he was that good of a coach. Strollo maybe needs to go because he has not been able to replace Tressel. Plus, they charge $22 for a ticket to those games. That is ridiculous. You can go to a Pitt game for less than that. The stands are empty because the team has not been good and the price of a ticket is too much. If you're going to charge that much, you better be playing for NC's.

I think we now know why this teams has not been at its best.
Bo can say all the platitudes he wants as he leaves. He lucked out in one season. All other seasons were terrible.
I hope Jim has a lot to say in the next HC.

LSU should never ever let this guy out of the booth, that way he can't kill his team with15 to 30 yards worth of unsportsmanlike penalties.

LSU should never ever let this guy out of the booth, that way he can't kill his team with15 to 30 yards worth of unsportsmanlike penalties.

That says it all. I hope they clear all of those guys out that he brought in. I'm afraid they will turn around and give the job to his brother. And he did luck out in the season they went to the NC. The QB that led there was going to leave when injuries forced him into action. The team never looked ready to play under him. Losing to Butler last year should have gotten him fired. He will probably be a good DC for LSU, but he was not a good head coach.

Wkbn is reporting possibly Vince Marrow. Good for recruiting- anyone know about his coaching abilities?

He's a good recruiter, and that is half the battle. He is an integral part of the UK football turn around, so that says something. I don't know if we want another Mooney grad at the helm after the issues with Pelini. Morrow I don't think is as volatile as Pelini. I am just afraid that he will keep a lot of the guys that Pelini brought in, and most of them have to go. I really want them to hire a top assistant from a team like tOSU or a DII guy who has won. Morrow doesn't have any head coaching experience, and that worries me.