Pbr unsigned senior games

How are the PBR unsigned senior games whose been Andnor what have you heard ?

For the most part, it will be JUCO’s and smaller schools looking for last minute pickups...you’re probably not going to see Ohio State or Kent State there. But, as said before, if your son has progressed greatly over the summer or hasn’t had a large showing yet, it could be good. Just be realistic that there aren’t going to be big schools there, but a great performance could get some interest on a possible walk on spot or possible late addition depending on the performance.

The biggest challenge kids attending these events may face, is something they don't even think about. That being, is that there is more outside competition for those college roster spots than the high school kids realize in these events. You will find many D2, D3, NAIA transfers added to the mix, after their respective college seasons end in May. Most of these programs keep a certain amount of roster spots available for these transfers, as usually they can get more than a few athletes during the late spring and early summer, who they may have previously recruited the previous year. Some of these kids ended up red shirting, decide their current college isn't a good fit, or just want to get closer to home. it's not so much a factor at a D3 school, but for sure at the the other college levels. Many of these colleges may prefer a kid with some college experience, rather than an untested freshman. It can get pretty crazy at times in the world of college recruiting.

My son is a junior right now going into his senior year.

Top prospect games would be a more productive event at that point. If still uncommitted at summers end, you can then evaluate the need for unsigned senior games.

Top Prospects requires an invite, 123, which typically comes from previous exposure to PBR. Don't count on a PBR scout stumbling across your kid during game play somewhere and PBR coming to you cold if you want an invite to a Top Prospects game.

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/ohio-store/2018-ohio-top-prospect-games.html

Top Prospects requires an invite, 123, which typically comes from previous exposure to PBR. Don't count on a PBR scout stumbling across your kid during game play somewhere and PBR coming to you cold if you want an invite to a Top Prospects game.

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/ohio-store/2018-ohio-top-prospect-games.html

If you're interested in the Top Prospect games send an email to PBR and tell them about your son. Tell them who he played for last summer and what HS team he's on. Size, measurables, etc if you have them. They'll at least take a look. They know enough people that they likely can find someone who knows of or has seen a kid....and may invite him based on their recommendation. If you're interested....get in touch with them right away. They likely are pretty well filled for this year by now.

If you haven't spent a bunch a money with them already, it might be too late for your son. My youngest son went to one last year and did OK for his age and now they send us emails all the time to come spend more money. The thing you have to remember about this group is they base 90% of where they rank a player off what that kid does on one day, sometimes inside a building. You can't get a feel for game recognition, base running ability, or overall how a kid plays the game at one of these events. What I found interesting is how kids in every class seem to move up and down in the rankings seemingly based on the number of events attended (aka money spent) and the looks they are getting from school. I don't think we will be attending another event for a couple hundred bucks simply to boost his ranking, which at the end of the whole thing really means nothing.

So much of this is true with PBR. Also, the top rated kids usually are no brainers, so having them ranked as such is pretty much correct. But, I do love going over their pre season "All State' players, and getting more than the occasional chuckle. No names please, but seeing some kids who make those lists, and knowing that they don't even start, let alone dominate play with their summer travel teams, is ironic. But many times, they are numerous players at the various PBR camps staged throughout the years.

1. “The thing you have to remember about this group is they base 90% of where they rank a player off what that kid does on one day, sometimes inside a building.”

Not true. They have a bunch of guys, “scouts”, that follow hs baseball pretty closely. They attend hs games regularly. Some of them coach the summer circuit, some give lessons or small group instruction, etc. They also communicate with hs coaches. Is it possible that Pbr misses a talented player? Of course.

2. “You can't get a feel for game recognition, base running ability, or overall how a kid plays the game at one of these events.”

Depending on which event you attend, there is game play. I would highly recommend emailing or calling the rep from your area to discuss event format before you pay and attend. The guys running Pbr will answer your questions. It is a business so naturally they want their customers to be satisfied.

3. “What I found interesting is how kids in every class seem to move up and down in the rankings seemingly based on the number of events attended.”

Simply not true. There are ranked kids that have never attended an event. What is true, however, is the more Pbr sees a kid, the better equipped they are to judge the kid’s abilities.

The ranked kids who never attended an event are, as I posted, "no Brainers". PBR would simply look foolish and diminish their cred if they ignored those kids skills. If you need a list of kids who put up excellent show case numbers, were ranked high, and then saw their rankings fall after not attending another PBR showcase, yet continue to excel on the diamond, I can provide those kid's names for you. It's not that hard to research. Also, more than a few PBR showcases don't include any games played. It's just a series of stations collecting numbers for each kid, with opinions listed under the comment section.

The ranked kids who never attended an event are, as I posted, "no Brainers". PBR would simply look foolish and diminish their cred if they ignored those kids skills. If you need a list of kids who put up excellent show case numbers, were ranked high, and then saw their rankings fall after not attending another PBR showcase, yet continue to excel on the diamond, I can provide those kid's names for you. It's not that hard to research. Also, more than a few PBR showcases don't include any games played. It's just a series of stations collecting numbers for each kid, with opinions listed under the comment section.

Hit,

I too have seen this. I've followed PBR pretty closely for the last several years. I'd love to see your list of names and compare it to what I have seen too. You can PM me on here versus putting kids names out on the site.

You guys don't seem to understand how PBR works. Their showcases (even the indoor ones) are usually very well attended by college coaches. Yes, you get "numbers" and yes, you may get ranked, but it's being in front of the coaches that is the reason for attending. Their rankings are just that.....rankings....but there is nothing that says you have to attend a PBR event to get ranked. I can tell you that in least my part of the state, the PBR guy is at HS games nearly EVERY day. There are some kids that I could name that have never attended a PBR event...but are included (deservedly) in their rankings. Obviously they can't see every kid on every team in every league...so yes, you either need to 1) attend and event or 2) at least be known by their staff. My son got his first college calls after attending a winter PBR event. He was an "unknown" and did well compared to some of the better known guys there...and actually got an email the next day from a coach asking him to call and wanting him to plan a visit in the spring, which he did. Say what you want, but if your son wants to play college ball, you need to get him seen somewhere.....a couple hundred bucks isn't much if you consider that he may potentially be seen by a college coach willing to give him some scholarship money.

The kids who get that baseball "scholarship money" are few and far between. The vast majority of kids who attend most entry level PBR showcases need to concentrate on their academic scholarship, grants, etc rather than counting on any baseball scholarship money. Yes, there can be numerous college reps at any one PBR showcase, but more than a few times, especially during the off season at the indoor showcases, I have literally seen not one college coach present. The trend recently has been for the various top travel organizations to co-sponsor their own show cases, and invite these various college scouts, coaches, etc to attend, often times for no additional costs. In the early stages of this trend, PBR would show up, but made it clear that the players showcase results would not be "officially" recorded or counted in any PBR ranking. Initially, that made some sense, as PBR didn't sponsor these events. But, what we found was that more than a few PBR officials were in attendance, some even taking part in running the drills. Then PBR saw how many colleges came to these events, and they decided to get their fair share of the pie, and co sponsor these travel team showcases, ie: Ohio Longhorns/Ohio Elite, I.V.L, and I believe Brownlee and Warhawks. Numbers are numbers, showcase results, regardless of who supervises them, are what the college guys want to see. Many kids from these events have benefited from this type of plan. Lastly, the top kids always will get their due, and what little baseball scholarship money that is available. I just think when you see the same kids who go to showcase after showcase, without any significant improvement in their evaluations, get a realistic value for their money spent. But it is a business, and if parents want to continue to drop big bucks so little Johnny can be seen by these colleges and get that college baseball scholarship money, more power to them.