'pausing the start of the winter sports season'

If we can save just one life.....
If postponing winter season why wait? These athletes have been practicing for a couple weeks not to mention conditioning for weeks leading up to practice. Fall sports went well with little to no spread. Yes we are seeing record cases but high schools seem to do a decent job of monitoring cases and preventing spread. Little to no fans can attend. Not sure how in January things get better.

actual cases isn't the problem ... It's those in Quarantine ... out 14 days, you could have your best player out for 14 days ... return and then go out again ... 14 more days ... lots of games will be cancelled ... It's going to be a mess ... probably should be put on pause

actual cases isn't the problem ... It's those in Quarantine ... out 14 days, you could have your best player out for 14 days ... return and then go out again ... 14 more days ... lots of games will be cancelled ... It's going to be a mess ... probably should be put on pause
Per @mikedyer at WCPO Cincy:
"New Richmond AD Doug Foote confirmed athletics will be paused from Nov. 23 to Dec. 7."---

--now athletic shutdowns in Hamilton, Warren, Clermont, Brown counties just in the past week due to COVID concerns in SW Ohio---just got to take it one day at a time, but the "pause" likely will happen once the surveys are returned to OHSAA today.

DeWine just said no pause, everything going as scheduled.

I don't think the pause was ever going to come from Dewine. It would come from the OHSAA. The OHSAA is the one who sent out a survey to all schools asking for their opinion on whether to carry on or pause. I would imagine the OHSAA will make a decision based upon responses to that survey.

If there is a pause, it will come from the Member Schools and Distrticts. OHSAA will work together/guide the Districts to decide the next step once they review the surveys. Multiple Scrimmages have been played and multiple have been cancelled. It’s literally day to day and hr by hr right now.

What is the purpose of pausing from 11/23-12/7 if a Team or School is not in quarantine? Virus gonna David copperfield in those 2 weeks?

Last edited:
How many schools/administrators are going to want to deal with the potential exposures, quarantines, postponements and rescheduling issues that are sure to arise? Thats the fundamental dynamic at play here. They may simply want to pause until, say January, to mitigate these occurrences. And then perhaps re-evaluate at that point? Hope thats not the case but . . . .

The quarantine guidelines are insurmountable. Teams will be dropping like flies and scheduling will be a nightmare. Push pause. Let teams start practicing after December 1 and reboot after the holiday. Several schools locally have had to quarantine and reschedule girls already. Its too much.

The quarantine guidelines are insurmountable. Teams will be dropping like flies and scheduling will be a nightmare. Push pause. Let teams start practicing after December 1 and reboot after the holiday. Several schools locally have had to quarantine and reschedule girls already. Its too much.

What will be different in January/after the holiday? Viral spread will be worse as the temperatures plummet even further. Go Day by Day, play as many games as you can, cancel the ones that need to be. Some teams may get to play 15 games, some teams may play 2.

Keeping it simple:

What are people hoping to accomplish through a 'pause'?

What conditions are the advocates of a 'pause' hoping will exist at the end of the 'pause' that weren't present at the beginning of the 'pause'?

What, in their daily routine during this 'pause', will the athletes/parents/classmates/families/society/etc. be expected to do differently than they are are doing now in order to bring about this change, other than not practicing/playing games?

Last edited:
I will give you the simplest of answers, NOTHING!
Play! Teams have conditioned and now are practicing/scrimmaging. The High Schools that need or want to pause or cancel, let them. The ones that see the need to move forward, allow it. If a program has an incidence, reschedule the game. It's really not that difficult. If schools cancel their season, find another opponent. That seemed to work fine during the fall sports seasons.
I read these posts and just think this is the helicopter society we've allowed to occur. My goodness, we all drive automobiles daily. The chance of an accident in some manner each second we are on the road.

I think once all the schools have gone back to remote learning that will help with being able to play. When you're remote learning you don't have to worry about your players being contact traced. That should think things will run smoother.
Jackson local is going remote now. I'm sure the other schools in Stark will will follow.

I will give you the simplest of answers, NOTHING!
Play! Teams have conditioned and now are practicing/scrimmaging. The High Schools that need or want to pause or cancel, let them. The ones that see the need to move forward, allow it. If a program has an incidence, reschedule the game. It's really not that difficult. If schools cancel their season, find another opponent. That seemed to work fine during the fall sports seasons.
I read these posts and just think this is the helicopter society we've allowed to occur. My goodness, we all drive automobiles daily. The chance of an accident in some manner each second we are on the road.

It won't be rescheduling "the game". It will likely be rescheduling 4-5 games if a team has to shutdown for 14 days. I am not saying that the season should or should not be paused, but the rescheduling in basketball will be more involved than it was in football.

cincyhoops-which actually makes it easier. If a program wants to play 2-4 times in a week they can do so. AAU players play multiple games in a weekend. This is their HS experience lets try to make it happen. I have no dog in the fight beside being a huge believer in the total student-athlete experience. Kids are all grown. Games can be shown with minimal fan interaction on live stream. It worked very well for the football/soccer season. Just hopeful.....

It won't be rescheduling "the game". It will likely be rescheduling 4-5 games if a team has to shutdown for 14 days. I am not saying that the season should or should not be paused, but the rescheduling in basketball will be more involved than it was in football.
If games cannot be rescheduled, then they just get skipped and replacements are found from those left standing. No need to have the primary focus on keeping the teams you were scheduled to play as the teams you actually play.

If there is a pause, it will come from the Member Schools and Distrticts. OHSAA will work together/guide the Districts to decide the next step once they review the surveys. Multiple Scrimmages have been played and multiple have been cancelled. It’s literally day to day and hr by hr right now.

What is the purpose of pausing from 11/23-12/7 if a Team or School is not in quarantine? Virus gonna David copperfield in those 2 weeks?

Because schools are scared of what is going to happen when students return from Thanksgiving break. I would assume any short term pause of that time frame would be to give a week after break to see what cases might develop from the Thanksgiving holiday.

Lol... I think its do funny how you can be on side or the other of this. I think the right side is about safety. So many schools are strapped with the quarantine guidelines it makes it impossible to run the day to day. I know of one district that had to send an entire grade level home because 1 teacher had tested positive. That teacher was in a grade level meeting with 5 other teachers. They all had to quarantine. No teachers in the building to teach kids. Its inevitable with the holidays coming this thing is going to keep spreading. Push pause... Get through the holidays, see where things are and then reboot. What can it hurt? Besides feelings of basketball junkies and folks who don't think this thing is real????

I know it’s real. I’ve had the virus. Not my point at all. Way too much fear in the name of being safe. Just a whatever.
Im an old man and none of the shutdowns has affected my job or what I do. The initial shutdown actually benefited our business tremendously so heck yes let’s stay home.

Ivy Leagues have cancelled their winter seasons......seems that the league that started last spring's decisions have made their choice.

While I'm sure there is a financial hit for these teams it could be argued that they have some of the smartest minds in our country making this decision.

Pot stirring
Ivy League has members who are ultra-liberal and love to socially signal.

Lol... I think its do funny how you can be on side or the other of this. I think the right side is about safety. So many schools are strapped with the quarantine guidelines it makes it impossible to run the day to day. I know of one district that had to send an entire grade level home because 1 teacher had tested positive. That teacher was in a grade level meeting with 5 other teachers. They all had to quarantine. No teachers in the building to teach kids. Its inevitable with the holidays coming this thing is going to keep spreading. Push pause... Get through the holidays, see where things are and then reboot. What can it hurt? Besides feelings of basketball junkies and folks who don't think this thing is real????
Guess you've left out the players in your considerations.

I think once all the schools have gone back to remote learning that will help with being able to play. When you're remote learning you don't have to worry about your players being contact traced. That should think things will run smoother.
Jackson local is going remote now. I'm sure the other schools in Stark will will follow.

Tell that to our district. We are on remote learning through Thanksgiving break and they refuse to allow us to even practice.

Nope, "in loco parentis" Adults should make the decision in the best interest of the students. I have a son that is playing ball. Sophomore in HS. I know he wants to play but he also is concerned about his grandparents, older aunts and uncles.

Like I said, it's easy to be on one side of the other of this. I just think putting a pause to it is on the "safe side". If you follow the science and believe in it, you can't say that playing winter sports at a time when cases are exploding across the state rural and urban it's the safest thing to do. My opinion.. Start in Jan, if the numbers have declined. Reduce regular season to 18-20 games and start the tournament as normal. "The Safe Plan"....

Last edited:
Toledo Public Schools announced Tuesday that they will be placing all winter sports on hold effective November 23. No practices, scrimmages, or games through December 17.