paddy, voinovich, and shumate

wrestlfan

The 3 that have signed major college full rides-
for those of us who get excited about oac titles
how many oac titles combined did these guys win?

This goes to show to NOT put much if any weight in the oac titles

might be off a little bit, but here is what i came up with
shumate places are 1,1,2,3,5
voinovich dnp,dnp,dnp, 2
paddy 3, dnp

The leaps in ability are amazing

Voinovich-JH-1, 2, dnp...GS-2, dnp, dnp, dnp
Shumate-JH-5, dnp, dnp...GS-5, 1, 3, 1, 2
Paddy-JH-4, GS-1, dnp, 3, dnp

I mean I only know one of those kids in person, so I am by no means defending or propping anyone up. But your "results" are missing quite a few, specifically maybe their whole OAC JH careers?

Did you forget that OAC has a JH tournament every year too?

i was just going with youth.
Im just giving credit to how hard they have worked to keep getting better!
I said might be off a little bit.
so happy for those guys that continue to push when they arent just winning the titles all the time getting started.

wait for it.....wait for it.....wait for it...…..here comes the holdback discussion.....

just kidding, your point is well taken. There is more than one path to success, but as I look at these athletes, I see three wrestlers who have not nearly tapped what their potential at the next level could be. All have tremendous upside and sometimes it's the adversity that fuels the fire and desire to be great.

I mean I only know one of those kids in person, so I am by no means defending or propping anyone up. But your "results" are missing quite a few, specifically maybe their whole OAC JH careers?

Gallagher won a JH OAC title in 2017

Would definitely give more weight to a JH championship than a grade school one, but even then we see guys fizzle out or stop altogether or make huge jumps in HS. It would be interesting to do a study on this, but that would take way more time than I would want to spend on it. :oops:

Happy for all mentioned though.

How'd Kharchla do in OAC? ;)

Kharchla didn't have to wrestle in oac as he had the best kids from all over come in his room to wrestle. What a great luxury he had. Many of us dont have those luxuries.

paddy.jpg

Paddy Circa 2013 far right. What a long way he has come!

Kharchla didn't have to wrestle in oac as he had the best kids from all over come in his room to wrestle. What a great luxury he had. Many of us dont have those luxuries.
Carson definitely had a unique training situation, but also his dad was deliberate in not having him compete as a youth/JH kid. In fact he preaches with his club kids to train rather than competing. In Russia- even at the highest levels- only compete a handful of times each year. A downfall of the US Youth system is that we equate success with winning and accolades rather than growth over time. We want success, and the trophies to prove it, and that's not necessarily wrong. I enjoy going back and exploring old OAC brackets, and it's fun to see familiar names who were dominating as 6, & & 8 year olds. Some kids dominate as young kids, and continue to build on their success as they grown, others fade. Early success can certainly build confidence, but training at a high intense level from an early age can lead to problems ( injury, burnout, complacency etc.) On the other hand, it can be challenging to keep interest in the sport for a young kid who isn't winning when his friends /teammates are enjoying success. If there was one clear roadmap to success, we would all follow it, but there is not. It's different for every kid.

carsons dad has a great business model for sure. Running camps and requiring kids to attend and pay is a great business practice and im sure has been very fruitful for the family. It is great that someone can put so much into the sport and then create a way of life for it. Honest question: Is it different to have kids from all over come into a practice room and go live with them as compared to go to a tournament and have kids from all over to go live with? Carson might not have been wrestling in gyms with scoreboards all along, but I feel confident that he was competing and wrestling well over 100 matches a year worth, just in his dads controlled environment. This is not a knock in any way! Kudos to them as it has worked out awesome. Kids that dont have the luxury of that have to go compete

I remember that night at Mirons when he decided to let Carson wrestle in middle school. Every parent and wrestler in the facility was so happy that Carson could finally have some live competition on a team. Jeanna, Miron's wife cried, needless to say Carson destroyed everyone he wrestled in Jr high, even signed up for OAC Jr districts that year, but I don't think he ended up going.

Like someone else said he wrestled amazing wrestlers all week and at all the weekend camps, so he was prepared for H.S.

i was just going with youth.
Im just giving credit to how hard they have worked to keep getting better!
I said might be off a little bit.
so happy for those guys that continue to push when they arent just winning the titles all the time getting started.
All 3 where youth Oac finalists and champs and JR high champs placer,so what's your point??? Tell all 3 of them that the hard work they put in as youth really didn't matter. And has no weight on there later development in the sport ....Maybe your post should have said my Kid has never placed at OAC STATE can he still go D1 in college?

There are a lot of young men that won OAC titles over the years that have went on to D1 colleges (Stiebers and Taylor comes to mind). If you are just wanting to talk about recent kids then I think Jake Evans will skew your theory once he commits. I believe he has 4 or 5 titles.

There are a lot of young men that won OAC titles over the years that have went on to D1 colleges (Stiebers and Taylor comes to mind). If you are just wanting to talk about recent kids then I think Jake Evans will skew your theory once he commits. I believe he has 4 or 5 titles.

Kaleb Romero, Ben Darmstadt, Dom Demas ,Drew Mattin, Alan Hart ,Kaden Russell ,Cody Surratt, and Corey Shie all did pretty good in the OAC days and are wrestling at D1 schools doing pretty good. ;)

All 3 where youth Oac finalists and champs and JR high champs placer,so what's your point??? Tell all 3 of them that the hard work they put in as youth really didn't matter. And has no weight on there later development in the sport ....Maybe your post should have said my Kid has never placed at OAC STATE can he still go D1 in college?
My son has given up 2 takedowns in 3 years of oac, won tulsa, won freakshow, 22-2 gold pool at vac, and i could go on. My point was simply tieing future success to accomplishing those things doesnt work. The post was meant to commend those kids for not having the huge high level success early and still being the 3 Ohio boys with major d1 full rides. Not everything has to be a knock.. smh

My son has given up 2 takedowns in 3 years of oac, won tulsa, won freakshow, 22-2 gold pool at vac, and i could go on. My point was simply tieing future success to accomplishing those things doesnt work. The post was meant to commend those kids for not having the huge high level success early and still being the 3 Ohio boys with major d1 full rides. Not everything has to be a knock.. smh

Very nice....its a great topic, I always love the OAC talks.

Easy bud, Obviously your kid still looking to win oac state because you keep bringing it up in like 10 posts.My kids never chase any titles, only focus on improving and there titles came along with it. And im sure your kid is good but 2 takedowns really at oac? The cream always rises to the top at all levels. Youth obviously helps towards the end result . And again all 3 had great success early on!

Kaleb Romero, Ben Darmstadt, Dom Demas ,Drew Mattin, Alan Hart ,Kaden Russell ,Cody Surratt, and Corey Shie all did pretty good in the OAC days and are wrestling at D1 schools doing pretty good. ;)
Exactly and those are just the tip of the iceberg of kids that have had tremendous careers in youth, JH, HS, and beyond.

Easy bud, Obviously your kid still looking to win oac state because you keep bringing it up in like 10 posts.My kids never chase any titles, only focus on improving and there titles came along with it. And im sure your kid is good but 2 takedowns really at oac? The cream always rises to the top at all levels. Youth obviously helps towards the end result . And again all 3 had great success early on!
His kid is a very good youth wrestler who has won multiple titles. Not sure why you would bring his kid into this?

There are plenty of examples of kids that won their whole way through. Just like there are plenty of examples of late bloomers.

No offense (some offense) but this post is stupid. Yes, some wrestlers do better later in their careers. Jordan Burroughs has more world titles than NCAA titles, and more NCAA titles than high school titles. On the other hand, David Taylor was a youth phenom, a 4x HS and Ironman champ, a 2x NCAA Champ and 2x Hodge winner, and a world champ with a good shot at being an Olympic gold medalist. People take different routes to win, they always have. There is no one trick to being successful, and everyone defines that in their own way.

The post was made to give kudos to those kids. Here is how this came up. We were walking up to Ross Thatchers house for a private (first one since Covid). We were talking out front and Ross says gotta tell you guys something. He said he was talking with Tommy the night before (tommy rowlands). Tommys son asked how many state titles he needed to win to be ready for high school. He was like none as long as you just continue to get better. Ross then said if you look at the 3 Ohio kids that have major d1 rides, they were very limited in the amount of oac titles they won, but they continued to get better and thats what its all about. I was like wow, thats pretty cool. I thought I would post it to congratulate those kids for just continuing to get better. Those making more out of it are just looking for an issue. If its a dumb post then scroll on. SMH

How it started ....." impressive how these 3 elite wrestlers have worked hard to improve and keep getting better ..."

How it's going..... "this post is stupid!"

...meanwhile they are basically agreeing on the same point.