PAC, Big XII merger?

So essentially a conference of schools that the SEC and Big Ten don't care to invite then? Lol. Personal preference dictates that I'd much rather watch a Tuesday night MACtion game than Arizona State vs. Central Florida. But to each their own.

The article mentions talks with 4-6 schools. I’d assume they’re trying to grab Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and ASU at a minimum and an outside shot at Washington and Oregon…Or maybe they’re actually looking to include Oregon State and Washington State? Which would mean they expect Stanford, and Cal to go to the Big Ten and probably Oregon and Washington, too.

Big XII A
Cincinnati
Houston
UCF
WVU

Big XII B
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State

Big XII C
Arizona
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech

Big XII D
Arizona State
BYU
Colorado
Utah

Prefer divisions for scheduling variety. Rotate divisional "challenge" matchups (division vs division) every 2 years (gives home-and-homes). Example: 2024-2025 is A vs B and C vs D. Winners of each "challenge" goes to conference CG.

Last edited:
So who does he call for a media rights deal in his expanded league, PBS? ESPN/ABC has the expanded SEC locked up along with a 10 year ACC deal ESPN is desperate to hold on to. FOX/CBS/NBC/Apple Streaming probably getting the B1G in a mapped out manner. Say he does talk CBS into a deal it will still be at best a fraction of what the other two Mega Conferences get and in all likely hood they will have to work around the 3:30 slot that will be the B1G 2nd best game of the week with a lame CBS sports channel(s) package to pick up the lesser games. NBC already has ND along with a probable evening 3rd choice B1G game. That leaves table scraps from the ESPN/ABC package. Maybe think out of the box and get AMZ to over pay and just stream games on Prime?

NBC and CBS typically have the noon slot open (though NBC does have EPL soccer in the fall that’s sometimes that late). But it’s unclear if that will be the case going forward.

Thursday nights on ESPN. Try to get what noon games they can from CBS and NBC. Look to a streaming service in lieu of regional sports net coverage. Maybe start a Big XII network. There are options but they’re not going to get the premium dollars the Big Ten and SEC are getting.

Another interesting read from SI:

Takes more than just $s into account; basically shows that the B1G & SEC have all the top brands in the fold now with the exception of ND. Washington, Clemson, Stanford, and Florida State in that order would be next in line with UNC & Oregon just outside the top 20.

Last edited:
Seems like there is a hitch in regards to Utah appearing a bit hesitant to jump on board with this for the time being, which I find to be interesting as IMO they have very little to no shot at ending up in the Big Ten.

Among remaining PAC schools they're probably no higher than 4th or 5th in value (5th by the SI ranking), and I think you could argue them as being as low as 8th, only ahead of Wazzou and Oregon State. Utah has the best football program at the moment, but Colorado and the Arizona schools IMO have more long-term brand potential than Utah.

Last edited:
Seems like there is a hitch in regards to Utah appearing a bit hesitant to jump on board with this for the time being, which I find to be interesting as IMO they have very little to no shot at ending up in the Big Ten.

Among remaining PAC schools they're probably no higher than 4th or 5th in value (5th by the SI ranking), and I think you could argue them as being as low as 8th, only ahead of Wazzou and Oregon State. Utah has the best football program at the moment, but Colorado and the Arizona schools IMO have more long-term brand potential than Utah.
Big12 should add the four corners schools. Utah is probably balking at being associated with BYU....Nobody gets a special deal....No opt out for a Stanford, Oregon, Washington, or Cal if they come with the four corners schools, and the Big10 comes calling next week.

Big12 should add the four corners schools. Utah is probably balking at being associated with BYU....Nobody gets a special deal....No opt out for a Stanford, Oregon, Washington, or Cal if they come with the four corners schools, and the Big10 comes calling next week.
The no opt out/special deal would be why I think Utah is balking...IMO they probably have some dreamy eyed folks wishfully thinking of a future where they're getting paid handsomely more in the Big Ten. Anybody with hopes doesn't want to be tied down beyond the next couple years unless they absolutely have to.

I get the impulse to be aggressive in expansion when they just got poached of their two premium assets, but I don't think they need to do anything with the expansion moves they've already made to re-solidify themselves at 12. They have minimal risk of getting poached again in the near future, and I have doubts that the corners schools would increase their media share payouts much if at all.

From the SI ranking of Power 5 schools, the highest valued brands in the new Big 12 are going to be Oklahoma State (25th), Iowa State (27th), TCU (37th), and BYU (40th). Everybody else is between 44th-69th.

I have a hard time seeing more than two of those at most, if any, getting gobbled up (SEC?) when everything settles, and IMO the corners schools will likely still be there for them then.

The no opt out/special deal would be why I think Utah is balking...IMO they probably have some dreamy eyed folks wishfully thinking of a future where they're getting paid handsomely more in the Big Ten. Anybody with hopes doesn't want to be tied down beyond the next couple years unless they absolutely have to.

I get the impulse to be aggressive in expansion when they just got poached of their two premium assets, but I don't think they need to do anything with the expansion moves they've already made to re-solidify themselves at 12. They have minimal risk of getting poached again in the near future, and I have doubts that the corners schools would increase their media share payouts much if at all.
Would the Big10 have been wiser to take USC for LA, and either Cal or Stanford for the Bay area rather than two LA schools?

Would the Big10 have been wiser to take USC for LA, and either Cal or Stanford for the Bay area rather than two LA schools?
Good question. From the rankings above they are fairly equal and for the most part have similar strong and weak aspects, but Stanford does get you into another major market.

If or when there is another expansion, IMO Stanford will be the Big Ten's first choice in terms of adding another PAC school.

Good question. From the rankings above they are fairly equal and for the most part have similar strong and weak aspects, but Stanford does get you into another major market.

If or when there is another expansion, IMO Stanford will be the Big Ten's first choice in terms of adding another PAC school.
I agree, Stanford gives the B1G the best combo of new market plus the Presidents liking the academics of the expansion school. (Remember that the Presidents have the final say in expansion and not the athletic or business side of the shop.) They would pair perfectly with ND.

By the way here are the top 10 Universities per US News that currently field football teams in the Power 5 conferences:

Stanford
Duke
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Notre Dame
UCLA
Cal
Michigan
UVA
USC

This list also show why UCLA is so attractive, they are now the #1 Public University in the country and that buys them a lot of cred with these University Presidents. They also have over 31K undergrads, (Stanford 6K) that is a lot of alumni with probably great paying jobs when graduating. Everyone says they are not a football school and LA will never back them, well I say winning cures a lot of ills and if they were ever to be able to right that ship folks might not flock to the Rose Bowl but they probably will tune in for a big game and jump on a band wagon.

I would assume it was easier to convince USC to join the B10 with UCLA in tow.

I believe the B10 wish list is:
1) Notre Dame
2) Stanford
3) Washington
4) Oregon
* If ND says no, then either Cal, Colorado or Utah

This would give the B10 20 schools. If they would go to 24, I would love to see them add:
1) Miami
2) Florida St
3) Duke
4) North Carolina

The ACC buyout is extensive ($100 mil) assuming it is enforceable.