PAC - 7 has three HC openings ...

sheldoncooper

Orville, Tuslaw, and CVCA all looking for new Head Coaches ... looks like CVCA has hired Futch from Buchtel ... whats going on at Tuslaw and Orrville ?

good coach for Orrville great guy. But Orrville is a whole different story. Lots of off court issues he is not used to and attitudes. Hope he can succeed and keep the discipline Sly tried but its a challenge everyday

I agree with you Chippewa, I think Coach Frizell is a good x and o's coach but he better realize quick Dalton and Smithville are different than Orrville.

Farnsworth, do you know who the other candidates were that applied?

I heard that they didn't really have an application process. called a few people and went down the line asking former area head coaches if they wanted it. In the paper Frizell said that he wasn't really thinking about the job until the Superintendent called him a few weeks ago. The AD refused to talk about other candidates. It looks like their interview process was calling coaches to see if they wanted it and when they would someone who might want it, they interviewed him and gave him the job.

He is a good person and a decent coach for Smithville. Orrville is a completely different situation than any previous experience. I agree with Chippewa as well

I heard that they didn't really have an application process. called a few people and went down the line asking former area head coaches if they wanted it. In the paper Frizell said that he wasn't really thinking about the job until the Superintendent called him a few weeks ago. The AD refused to talk about other candidates. It looks like their interview process was calling coaches to see if they wanted it and when they would someone who might want it, they interviewed him and gave him the job.

Seems like an odd way to go about hiring a coach for a program with this much success and history. Frizell is a good guy who will have a lot of people rooting for him. He has his hands full with the off the court issues and marginal talent in the Orrville system right now.

Is this Orrville's first out of family hire since before Steve Smith? Not sure if they had someone between Smith & Slaughter, but that would make this the first outside hire since the 1970s.

What "off court issues" do they have? I know Parks is supposed to be moving out, but did something else happen?

Is this Orrville's first out of family hire since before Steve Smith? Not sure if they had someone between Smith & Slaughter, but that would make this the first outside hire since the 1970s.

What "off court issues" do they have? I know Parks is supposed to be moving out, but did something else happen?

Donald Short was the coach in between Steve Smith and Sly Slaughter. He played for Smitty in the 80s. This is their first out of family hire since Smith took over the program.

They had multiple kids miss games last season due to eligibility issues and/or suspensions for disciplinary reasons.

He was the 2nd or 3rd choice. One or more turned it down before getting to Frizell.

Who were the other area coaches who were asked before Frizell? Nobody really comes to mind as a dominant coach these days in the Wayne County area. Holt? Snowbarger? Staley from Rittman? Would be interesting to hear the names of those who passed on the job.

Good luck to the new Orrville coach. Once again the Powers to be rushed to hire a coach in a very different manner. I know times are tough, but this hire will be be very interesting.

187 I wouldn't think that any of the 3 you listed would be interested in Orrville now or at anytime in the future. Heard it was the former Rittman coach who was asked first and rejected, then the call to Frizell. Raylan not sure if Parks has moved or is going to end up moving. talent level for basketball is on the down swing for the next 3-4 years. It will be interesting to see how Frizell handles the transition into Orrville.

187 I wouldn't think that any of the 3 you listed would be interested in Orrville now or at anytime in the future. Heard it was the former Rittman coach who was asked first and rejected, then the call to Frizell. Raylan not sure if Parks has moved or is going to end up moving. talent level for basketball is on the down swing for the next 3-4 years. It will be interesting to see how Frizell handles the transition into Orrville.

That makes sense. Coach Bever would have been a good fit.

Yes, I know a few schools recently that have reach out to coach Beaver about their opening, but he has turned them down. I was told he is waiting for the Wooster job to open up, since he teaches at Wooster. Quality guy and will have success wherever he does end up, IF he gets back into it.

Yes, I know a few schools recently that have reach out to coach Beaver about their opening, but he has turned them down. I was told he is waiting for the Wooster job to open up, since he teaches at Wooster. Quality guy and will have success wherever he does end up, IF he gets back into it.
Think it's Bever & if he's waiting to take Wooster might be awhile. After the 3 move-ins they had this past season I don't think Snowbarger's going to want to go anywhere for awhile.

Any chance Josh Hose would leave Massillon to go back to Tuslaw for the boys job? How much of a step back would it really be?

Any chance Josh Hose would leave Massillon to go back to Tuslaw for the boys job? How much of a step back would it really be?

Probably about half the pay at Tuslaw compared to Massillon. No disrepect to Tuslaw at all.........but there are no Jayden Ballards walking the halls there. Only reason I could see him making this move is if he had a burning desire to coach at a smaller school. I believe his dad was formerly the head basketball coach at Massillon as well. When considering all of this, I would say there is little to no chance that Hose goes back to Tuslaw.