PAC 2023

CasualFan24

Also - the talk of the Wayne county schools dictating the voting process seems odd to me. I get that they're going to probably share the same sentiments and vote together....but it's still only 2 votes. I don't see why Triway would say no to Minerva, Mogadore, etc....the drive time to Mogadore, Minerva, CVCA are all within 10 minutes of each other. Does it matter if it's 56 minutes or 1 hour and 2 minutes? I can't imagine that's all that big of a cause for concern at this point they've been making the drive to CVCA for how long now?! And same goes for Orrville, any different than going to Lexington, Mount Vernon, Clearfork? I think the decisions to vote yes/no are less about travel than they are other factors.

thePITman

Also - the talk of the Wayne county schools dictating the voting process seems odd to me. I get that they're going to probably share the same sentiments and vote together....but it's still only 2 votes. I don't see why Triway would say no to Minerva, Mogadore, etc....the drive time to Mogadore, Minerva, CVCA are all within 10 minutes of each other. Does it matter if it's 56 minutes or 1 hour and 2 minutes? I can't imagine that's all that big of a cause for concern at this point they've been making the drive to CVCA for how long now?! And same goes for Orrville, any different than going to Lexington, Mount Vernon, Clearfork? I think the decisions to vote yes/no are less about travel than they are other factors.
Just my opinion (I don't talk to our admins about this stuff), but if any of those schools were to get admitted, it wouldn't cause us to leave or anything; we'd make it work as we do now. But if we get to vote on it, I'm not going to finally have the sigh of relief of losing a 1-hour drive just to voluntarily vote in another 55-mintue-to-1-hour drive.

CasualFan24

Just my opinion (I don't talk to our admins about this stuff), but if any of those schools were to get admitted, it wouldn't cause us to leave or anything; we'd make it work as we do now. But if we get to vote on it, I'm not going to finally have the sigh of relief of losing a 1-hour drive just to voluntarily vote in another 55-mintue-to-1-hour drive.
Agreed, and hear you. BUT, if the options are 56 minute drive, 1 hour and 2 minute drive, or no drive at all (not add a school)....which are you/which do you think Triway is voting for?

The general consensus was that the league collectively wanted to replace CVCA. So if it came down to adding back an hour drive, or not adding a school at all, I believe the vote would be to add the hour drive. You have to think big picture. If you stay at 7, every school is scrambling to find a 4th non conference game in football which is not going to be an easy task. You're probably looking at a long drive for that. Not to mention picking up 2 games in almost every other sport. It creates major headaches for ADs/coaches. So I would be totally shocked if they don't add SOMEONE to the league.

thePITman

Agreed, and hear you. BUT, if the options are 56 minute drive, 1 hour and 2 minute drive, or no drive at all (not add a school)....which are you/which do you think Triway is voting for?

The general consensus was that the league collectively wanted to replace CVCA. So if it came down to adding back an hour drive, or not adding a school at all, I believe the vote would be to add the hour drive. You have to think big picture. If you stay at 7, every school is scrambling to find a 4th non conference game in football which is not going to be an easy task. You're probably looking at a long drive for that. Not to mention picking up 2 games in almost every other sport. It creates major headaches for ADs/coaches. So I would be totally shocked if they don't add SOMEONE to the league.
An 8-team league is optimal, yes. A 7-team league is not the end of the world. While it adds the possibility of long drives for a non-conference game, it also frees up space for local rivalries, as well. My senior year of high school, we were independent. In contrast, a 7-team league is far better, so I, personally, am happy with 7.

Rich Kotite

Again....I'm just spit balling here....but perhaps someone or a couple of someone's really didn't want Mogadore in the PAC because.....they're pretty damn good. Tuslaw just dropped Dalton. Why would they want Mogadore?

As it stands Tuslaw picked up Warsaw River View as a non-league game. WOW - that is gonna become a rivalry in a packed stadium!!! Have Warsaw River View fans ever had the fish sammich at Bison Street Burgers and Brews? Could Warsaw withstand a Tuslaw tailgate full of Sunny Slope jams and freshly baked bread and moms in minivans with Tuslaw logos in the back window?

I would venture that Triway and Orrville really didn't want Minerva or SV and I would further venture that the 4 Stark County schools in the PAC were pushing for Minerva. So the Wayne County schools needed to end that discussion and draw a line.

My other guesses this morning:

The PAC is going to have to reach out on their own beyond any application process and see if an Akron Springfield is interested. But it's not the end of the world at 7 schools. That can be advantageous.

Some PAC schools perhaps like a 7-team league. If you're Triway or Orrville, this is one extra non-league game where you can possibly add a WCAL opponent or someone in the Ashland County area. If you're Tuslaw, you can add another winnable game (welcome Akron City Series to Mustang Country!) to attempt to add another win per season so you finish 4-6 instead of 3-7. Same with other PAC schools like Manchester or Fairless. You can schedule a weaker non-league opponent with one extra game to fill.

Other deranged comments from me today: Is the hiring of Kevin Stacy at Manchester part of an effort to lure Panther athletic transfers out of the district (especially to Northwest) back into the district? Could the Panther faithful withstand such a return? (Cough, cough).

Last edited:

Rich Kotite

Just imagine the non-league possibilities with a 7-team PAC and you have one extra game to fill:

Northwest: Coventry is a logical opponent, the Akron City Series would make a lot of sense, Central Catholic would be a good one or create some real buzz and do a 1-2 year contract with Barberton.

Orrville: Adds Dalton. Instant money making extravaganza. If Orrville felt like playing a bigger team (D2), bring back the Ashland Arrows.

Triway: Adds Loudonville or a WCAL team like neighboring Northwestern or brings a Columbus City League team in for a visit to Wayne County. Mansfield Madison could work and that's not far. All are cost savings.

Canton South: Adds Central Catholic or Aquinas. Cost savings and Central would be a decent gate.

Fairless: Could bring back Waynedale to their schedule. They used to play for years.

Manchester: Springfield or - God Forbid - Coventry. Or Akron City Series or Doylestown.

Tuslaw.....Vanlue Wildcats.**

Akron City Series ala Firestone or Akron North if they can put together 15 players could work for Tuslaw.

styx

Just imagine the non-league possibilities with a 7-team PAC and you have one extra game to fill:

Northwest: Coventry is a logical opponent, the Akron City Series would make a lot of sense, Central Catholic would be a good one or create some real buzz and do a 1-2 year contract with Barberton.

Orrville: Adds Dalton. Instant money making extravaganza. If Orrville felt like playing a bigger team (D2), bring back the Ashland Arrows.

Triway: Adds Loudonville or a WCAL team like neighboring Northwestern or brings a Columbus City League team in for a visit to Wayne County. Mansfield Madison could work and that's not far. All are cost savings.

Canton South: Adds Central Catholic or Aquinas. Cost savings and Central would be a decent gate.

Fairless: Could bring back Waynedale to their schedule. They used to play for years.

Manchester: Springfield or - God Forbid - Coventry. Or Akron City Series or Doylestown.

Tuslaw.....Vanlue Wildcats.**

Akron City Series ala Firestone or Akron North if they can put together 15 players could work for Tuslaw.
Does the WCAL have open dates weeks 4-10?

TopCat

I think under the league bylaws there can only be one "no" vote. Two no votes kills whatever is being voted on. I may be wrong on this, but I think that's how it works.

CasualFan24

I think under the league bylaws there can only be one "no" vote. Two no votes kills whatever is being voted on. I may be wrong on this, but I think that's how it works.
I actually started typing the question of this in my OP.....wasn't sure if it was must majority, 2/3's....something like that....if that's the case though where 2 votes kills something, then how did they come to the agreement to add anyone to begin with?! Seems its hard to get people to agree to anything these days!

CasualFan24

I just think the 7 team league is not the answer. Look at the EBC - that league is and has been hanging on by threads. When you drop down to 7 teams, you're always 1 team away from not having a league. Other leagues see this, other leagues will then look to poach schools from your league.

From a predominant source in the Metro - they are looking to expand. You drop to 7 teams, you're opening up to being disbanded altogether. It's interesting that CVCA still has what 2 more years left in the PAC......based on the rumor mill, I think the league landscape could be drastically different by the time they leave the PAC....

Raylan_Givens

I just think the 7 team league is not the answer. Look at the EBC - that league is and has been hanging on by threads. When you drop down to 7 teams, you're always 1 team away from not having a league. Other leagues see this, other leagues will then look to poach schools from your league.

From a predominant source in the Metro - they are looking to expand. You drop to 7 teams, you're opening up to being disbanded altogether. It's interesting that CVCA still has what 2 more years left in the PAC......based on the rumor mill, I think the league landscape could be drastically different by the time they leave the PAC....
Think you nailed it - 2 more years with the Wyoga Lake Warriors on the schedule. No pressure to force anything now.

If this is true . . . wow. Going to be VERY interesting how it turns out. You've got schools all heading in wildly different directions. Just look at the non-league schedules the last 2 & next 2 years. Some only want backyard games for the gate, some want challenges, some want to play pile of SnowBalls from the movie Zombieland . . . definitely different priorities at least from a football perspective.
1674076519822.png

Rich Kotite

I believe a 7-team PAC could see numerous PAC teams playing Central Catholic, Minerva, and Marlington in non-league games since the EBC is only a 6 school league and needs 5 non league games to fill (until they probably add East Liverpool and Beaver Local).

Going to Carrollton sucks but some PAC teams will put their kids, coaches and fans through that patience testing drive.

Central is an independent as we all know and needs opponents.

It could almost mean a partial PAC membership for those schools.

Also until the Ohio Cardinal Conference adds an 8th team to replace Mount Vernon, those schools like Lex, Madison and Ashland will need a 4th non league game.

Then there's Aquinas. You could see some PAC schools wanting to schedule that mess.

Aquinas - welcome to Justus, Ohio, and The Ring of Fire!!!!

Fairless does what's best for them, so good for them but Perennial Winery closing down is -50 points for them and Tuslaw since that business was on the Poorman Street border of The Bleu Cup.

If you include Brewster Dairy as a sponsor you could have the Bleu Cheese Cup for Fairless and Tuslaw although the Mustangs have amazing feta cheese from John George's.

Last edited:

Rich Kotite

Did the olde tuffs at The Elms approve? That's your problem with that.

Personally, I think Mogadore is a great add.

---
The PAC needs this as its new theme song reppin the Portage Lakes, Western Stark County and Wayne County. Canton is ok but not further east. Notice the highway sign in this video - it's a tradition, a culture and a mentality.

Last edited:
They’re not adding, and Mogadore makes no sense. PAC does not need to add an even smaller school. Would be awful for everyone’s tournament and playoff resumes too.

Rich Kotite

With a 7-team PAC, you'll likely see CCC and Minerva picking up PAC teams as non-league opponents. Thus, neither really needs to join the PAC.