Overrated movies

BlackHawk

What are some generally highly regarded movies that you think are overrated? There was a lot of love for "Tombstone" on another thread, a movie that I didn't care for.

Everybody has different tastes and opinions. A friend didn't like "This is Spinal Tap", which I loved. Many people think that "2001: A Space Odyssey" is overrated, but I always liked it.

A few overrated movies for me: "Apocalypse Now", "Network", "Some Like it Hot", "Forrest Gump" and, well, "Tombstone". I'm sure I'll think of more.

Shawshank. Very good but not an all-timer as many seem to believe.

Basically Ted Turner loved this film and it is played all the time on his channels. It is well acted and there is some great dialogue but it is basically Stephen King progressive propaganda; the prisoners are smart stand up guys, the warden + guards are corrupt, Religion is forced on prisoners by warden who doesn't live by what he is preaching, etc.. The worst scene is the juxtaposition of Andy playing the opera while the guard is pinching off one reading Archie comics.

My list>

Forest Gump
Titanic
Elf
Most by Spike Lee
Any of the best picture winners in the mid '80s: Ordinary People, Terms of Endearment, Out of Africa, Chariots of Fire

"Tombstone" overrated??? Off with their heads!

I'd say over half of the movies that are being pushed by critics to be Picture-Of-The-Year finalists are ones that don't interest me. Does that mean overrated? Hard to say.

I never cared for Rear Window, although critics love it.

I know, I know... Alfred Hitchcock, James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Raymond Burr...with a director and actors like that, it has to be great! Just not for me.

I never cared for Rear Window, although critics love it.

I know, I know... Alfred Hitchcock, James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Raymond Burr...with a director and actors like that, it has to be great! Just not for me.
Lol. I was going to say any James Stewart movie is overrated, but that reflects my opinion of his acting, not the movie itself. I would never say It's A Wonderful Life is overrated - overplayed on TV at times, maybe.

And I think "Rear Window" is a great film, both cinematically and as a thriller. But Jimmy's voice and hesitations are irritating to my ears. I would never make a true film critic because of that.

Lord of the Rings

Big Lebowski

Almost all sports movies - Sandlot, Rudy, Field of Dreams, The Blind Side, etc

Dark Knight trilogy

Hangover

Most Tarrentino films

The Untouchables

Lord of the Rings

Big Lebowski

Dark Knight trilogy

Hangover

Most Tarrentino films

The Untouchables
Dang Sigarette, your taste in movies sucks balls

Lord of the Rings

Big Lebowski

Dark Knight trilogy

Hangover

Most Tarrentino films

The Untouchables
I agree on The Dark Knight. I think Heath Ledger's untimely death helped it get high ratings. Or maybe I'm just burned out on superhero flicks.