Outraged teams not coming out for the national anthem

Didn't know that was a thing.

It's avoiding political statements, which are much more honestly addressed by simply giving them time before the anthem or after the game. Don't teach kids to avoid social happenings that concern them. Teach them to address them respectfully and honestly.

This used to be the norm not that long ago. The mid to late 2000s is when schools started to come out before the anthem was played. So we were either horrible Americans and patriots for 100 years, or this wasn’t a big deal. I prefer the old way. Bands play all of pregame, then the teams run out to the field to fight song and head to the sidelines. Works for me.

This used to be the norm not that long ago. The mid to late 2000s is when schools started to come out before the anthem was played. So we were either horrible Americans and patriots for 100 years, or this wasn’t a big deal. I prefer the old way. Bands play all of pregame, then the teams run out to the field to fight song and head to the sidelines. Works for me.
I guess people forget but yeah the anthem being played after teams hit the field is something that’s really only been going on the last 10 or so years.

Honestly, I have never understood why High School football teams are not out for the playing of the National Anthem. Pretty much every other HS varsity sport, the 2 teams involved are out of their locker rooms and in the gym, (basketball - girls and boys. Wrestling, volleyball) or on the field, (soccer, softball, baseball etc..) when they play the pre game National Anthem. Why aren't the football teams. It makes no sense to me. On a rare occasion I have seen 2 football teams out for the playing of the Anthem. But is is very rare. I am in no way upset about it, I just don't understand it.

They probably stayed in the locker room so they didn’t have to watch that corny hype video Struthers has lol.
Lmao you might be right. I think the guy who does them has them
All almost identical there’s 3/4 schools in our area wgh/Ursuline/struthers Forsure

Honestly, I have never understood why High School football teams are not out for the playing of the National Anthem. Pretty much every other HS varsity sport, the 2 teams involved are out of their locker rooms and in the gym, (basketball - girls and boys. Wrestling, volleyball) or on the field, (soccer, softball, baseball etc..) when they play the pre game National Anthem.
The reason why those teams are already out of their locker rooms, and in the arena for the anthem, is because they don’t go back to the locker room after they warm-up.

With football, there is nothing practical about the team staying out on the field for 25-30 minutes after they’re done warming up. Not to mention that if teams stayed on the field (as in, they don’t go back to the locker room) the whole entire pre-game then the festivities go kaput.

Last edited:
The reason why those teams are already out of their locker rooms and in the arena for the anthem is because they don’t go back to the locker room after they warm-up.
That is irrelevant. Anyone can make any excuse for an action or lack of an action. Not being on the sidelines for the Anthem is a choice. If a school or team WANTED to be out there for it, they WOULD be out there for it. I'm guessing it's not a priority. The game is the focus. Not the Anthem.

No, it isn’t.
If it's not irrelevant, then it is a very lame excuse. Going back into the locker room means nothing. Do they have to come back out at some point? The answer is yes. So come out 2 minutes earlier. Bottom line whether a team/sport goes back into the locker room or not, they have to come back out at some point. That's why it is irrelevant about going into the locker room. The other reason your argument about teams going back into the locker room doesn't hold water is: NFL and college football teams are on the sideline for the Anthem and they warmup and then go into the locker room. And remember, I am not arguing for or against it. My original post was that I have never understood why teams are not out for the playing of the Anthem.

Last edited:
I didn’t notice teams being out on the field before the anthem until about 4-5 years ago. I know when I played in the early 2000s, we were never out there for the anthem. Heck, even on the Friday night after 9/11, we still didn’t go out for the anthem.

As noted, I thought this was very common until fairly recently and was largely due to the logistics of pregame routines for football differing from other sports...and nobody really seemed to notice or care until five years ago or so when Kaepernick started to take a knee.

I don't really remember ever seeing teams on the field for the anthem as a kid in the 90s and 2000s, or being on the field for the anthem in the late 2000s as a high schooler.

Parents,and frankly everyone should be outraged,that coaches aren't bringing there teams out for the national anthem.Whats your thoughts if any.
Garbage. I doubt many people are “outraged” and “frankly,” who cares.

Our team is never visible for the National Anthem. It’s just not our routine. And I can assure you, it has nothing political to do with it.

Is there anybody on this board who knows who is charge of when a team comes out? Not a guess or a probably, but actually knows. Is it the coach? AD? Referree? I'm sure the head coach has more on his plate to know when the National Anthem is being played so his team can be out.

I played HS in the early 80s. Rural, suburban and urban atmospheres, I dont ever remember being on the sidelines for the anthem. Just as it was mentioned upthread the pregame pageantry dominated. Never paid attention until Kap

Since as a nation, the National Anthem is played before pretty much every sporting event. And MOST everyone stands for it, turns toward the flag, takes off their hats, some with their hand on their heart, some even sing it, there must be SOME importancy to doing it. Also the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, and the NCAA teams all are a part of it. So like I said, I have never understood why HS football isn't on the sideline for it. But down deep I believe that it is a USA pride, respect, and honoring of the men and women that fought for our freedom. I am honestly intrigued by why they are not. I do agree with many posters that it is not a political thing. So why?

Last edited:
Since as a nation, the National Anthem is played before pretty much every sporting event. And MOST everyone stands for it, turns toward the flag, takes off their hats, some with their hand on their heart, some even sing it, there must be SOME importancy to doing it. Also the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, and the NCAA teams all are a part of it. So like I said, I have never understood why HS football isn't on the sideline for it. I am honestly intrigued by why they are not. I I do agree with many posters that it is not a political thing. So why?
Why does a team have to feel obligated to be on the field? Maybe the team just feels more comfortable keeping their focus in the locker room as ooposed to being on the field 8-10 minutes before kickoff.

Why does a team have to feel obligated to be on the field? Maybe the team just feels more comfortable keeping their focus in the locker room as ooposed to being on the field 8-10 minutes before kickoff.
If that's how they feel, I'm ok with that. Like I wrote, I really don't know or understand why.

Since as a nation, the National Anthem is played before pretty much every sporting event. And MOST everyone stands for it, turns toward the flag, takes off their hats, some with their hand on their heart, some even sing it, there must be SOME importancy to doing it. Also the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, and the NCAA teams all are a part of it. So like I said, I have never understood why HS football isn't on the sideline for it. I am honestly intrigued by why they are not. I do agree with many posters that it is not a political thing. So why?
Now I haven't been to a Akron game since the Pandemic, but before neither the Zips and whoever they were playing were not out at the anthem. The band would play the anthem, then they would go down towards the lockerroom to set up for the team to come out.

Bottom line as of now: clearly none of us really know the answer/reason that teams don't come out for the National Anthem. (Title of this thread).

Well the main reason we did it is because we didn't want to come in all hyped and then settle down for the anthem and then get all hyped again.