Other States Changes In Season Updates

so about that announcement coming today.....tomorrow huh? anyone want to make me more promises on when it will happen?

Update: DeWine's answer to the reporter's question made it clear he isn't making any decisions, recommendations, or announcements basically until we hit August 1.

Last edited:
Anybody else tired of guessing what is going to happen? After hearing dewine answer about making decision closer to August 1 that nobody knows what the heck is going to happen. Because dewine hasn’t made any decisions.

Anybody else tired of guessing what is going to happen? After hearing dewine answer about making decision closer to August 1 that nobody knows what the heck is going to happen. Because dewine hasn’t made any decisions.

Just commented on another thread. It seemed as if it wasn't even on the table of concerns for anyone at the level. He literally said, "coaches will be in contact with their schools about this"....um WHAT?!? I have nothing to say, can't take anything from it.

I think it's pretty clear that nobody wants to be responsible for making a decision one way or the other on contact fall sports.

This is not political. It seems that the only decisiveness from the State comes with the color coded map (if this, than that). Otherwise, everything has been kicked down the road. I'd be stunned to hear anything concrete about schools or sports other than maybe a delay of some sort.
It is politics
Fla- Rep gov- football
Texas- Rep gov football
Missouri- Rep gov football
Virginia-Dem- no fall football
California- Dem- no fall footbal
Ohio-???-???

Kansas is a go for football as scheduled. Up to individual schools. They also changed the rules that you don't need in person instruction in schools to be eligible to play. Allows remote learning to count.

It is politics
Fla- Rep gov- football
Texas- Rep gov football
Ohio-???-???
Seems like a real dumb-o point to argue, since Florida is the last state Ohio wants to emulate.

The OHSAA has hopes that the fall sports season will be able to proceed relatively as normal.

It sent a proposal/document to the governor's office detailing action items to make it happen.

The OHSFCA (football coaches) have a protocol of about 40 pages that piggy-backs upon the OHSAA football modifications/procedures to help make football happen this fall.

All that being said, it is up to the governor's office as to if fall sports will happen in schools, due to various issues with the non-contact sports (Golf B/G, Tennis G, and Volleyball G) and the fact that contact sports (Soccer B/G, X-Country G/B, Football, and Field Hockey) need approval for games to happen.

I am hopeful that the governor's office will allow the season to start as normal, given all the work OHSAA and some of the various coaches' associations have put into the various proposals. However, I am skeptical because I just think DeWine is a weasel.

Of course the OHSAA wants the season to happen, they need the money! You would think they would have created this document months ago.

I’m telling you, OHSAA burned their own bridge a while ago, school districts aren’t taking them seriously, and the governor and AG knows they are calling shots if they want...not sure if any of you have seen what some of these health boards expect (who are heavily against sports), it’s going to be real difficult to even get everyone on the same page for something.

It is politics
Fla- Rep gov- football
Texas- Rep gov football
Ohio-???-???
not so fast my friend, several counties in the Jacksonville area are now looking at pushing back or cancelling fall sports. Their county school boards are doing it. There are others including Broward. I know there are some looking into delaying the start now as well.

Heck the HC for Cocoa put on twitter he is quarantined with Covid.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article244382732.html

Sun Sentinel - We are currently unavailable in your region

www.sun-sentinel.com

so while the fhsaa said they wanted to start on time, county school boards are going to make their own decisions based on their needs.

Will be interesting to see if something similar happens in Ohio, I could see individual districts decide not to play.

also, I think the wildcard will be if health department or county health departments mandate testing pre and post game. That might keep school from playing if they have to pay for all those tests. At least for the contact sports they could require it. Unless the state funds it... then there is a better chance.

Time will tell, my gut says they will delay into a cancel like the spring.

It's Ohio and sports, they are gunna build us up to let us down. (I hope they don't though!)

South Carolina will be voting on this August 1oth:

Fall (Sept. 21-Nov. 17)
Girls tennis (12)-Moderate risk
Baseball (16)-Moderate risk
Softball (16)-Moderate risk
Girls lacrosse (12)-Moderate risk
Girls golf (8)*-Low risk
Swimming (4)*-Low to moderate risk
Cross-country (5)-Low risk
*Girls golf and swimming would be held from Sept. 7 to Oct. 30.
Winter (Nov. 23-Jan. 29)
Basketball (girls and boys) (16)-Moderate risk
Spring I (Jan. 25-April 2)
Football (6)-High risk
Volleyball (12)-Moderate risk
Competition Cheerleading (4)-High risk
Spring II (March 22-May 28)
Boys soccer (12)-Moderate risk
Girls soccer (12)-Moderate risk
Boys tennis (12)-Moderate risk
Wrestling (8)-High risk
Boys lacrosse (12)-High risk
Track (5)-Low to moderate risk
Boys golf (8)-Low risk

Iowa plans to kickoff on time but are going with a 7 game regular season and everyone will qualify for the playoffs.

The thought being some schools may have to miss games which affect their playoff standings. So no worries this year.

If they have to shut it down during playoffs their opponent gets a bye. Which they've experienced with their summer sports (being one of the few states that plays baseball and softball in the summer annually)

Also, add Nevada to the list of spring football. Oregon and Arizona are on the clock. With wa, CA, and NM already making the move.

Kentucky is pushing their start date back 3 weeks. This will affect Ohio teams that had scheduled Kentucky teams. What benefit is there to pushing the start date back? What do they think is going to change between now and September?

Kentucky is pushing their start date back 3 weeks. This will affect Ohio teams that had scheduled Kentucky teams. What benefit is there to pushing the start date back? What do they think is going to change between now and September?

Simply to say they gave it their all when they eventually cancel. And if all our bordering states delay it will have many implications on Ohio teams.

In a reversal of course...the governor of Tennessee issued a new order (7/28) allowing TSSAA to proceed with fall sports on schedule instead of delaying until September (which was a by-product of an order from 4 weeks prior).

TSSAA passed a series of guidelines last week of COVID 19 protocols. This in coordination with advice from the governor's office led to the governor to today's action.

In a reversal of course...the governor of Tennessee issued a new order (7/28) allowing TSSAA to proceed with fall sports on schedule instead of delaying until September (which was a by-product of an order from 4 weeks prior).

TSSAA passed a series of guidelines last week of COVID 19 protocols. This in coordination with advice from the governor's office led to the governor to today's action.

So here’s the deal, you know OHSAA left it up to the school districts or governor in Ohio? TSSAA did same thing in conjunction with governor to school districts and now the school districts are left not knowing what to do. Probably worse situation than we are in right now, and the information above confirmed from a friend who is an AD in Nashville area.