other changes (continued from Lancermania's 1600 meter thread)

as i was reading that thread, it made me think of other events that should change, and here's what i've come up with

First:
Let's do away with 300H and got to 400H....
second:
Replace 4x800 with Distance Medley
Third:
add the triple jump (hopefully soon)
Fourth:
raise hurdle height for girls, have them run 36 inch for 100h, and 33 for 300h (or 400h)
Fifth:
Find away for scheduling at regional and state meet to allow distance runners to double, even triple in races. Maybe run the 3200 D1 during Division 3, and run D1 1600 during D1, and so on....
Sixth:
Run State meet under the lights! at least maybe the finals!!

of course, this is what i would change if I'm commisioner for a day... thoughts

Why would you raise the hurdles higher than the NCAA and IAAF heights?

fair question, i believe, personally, that it should be that high for ncaa and iaaf, we should even make the throwers throw a heavier shot an discus...

for the hurdles, you run 30" for girls and 33" for boys in middle school for the 100 hurdles and 110, but in high school, girls only go up 3 inches to 33 and boys 6 inches to 39. Then in college, girls remain the same, but boys go another 3 inches....

again, these are personal suggestions, that's all, i assume you like the other suggestions :)

1. I agree here, though it may make for some ugly races during the regular season, and may chase some kids away from this event as it is "too far" or " too hard"

2. I again agree with this. The only true distance event competed in is the 3200 and that is debatable that it is more mid-distance at the higher end levels. A good DMR in my book is much more exciting than a good 4x800

3. In due time. But this is also an event that is hard on developing bodies and in my mind would require some limitations to how often the athletes should be allowed to compete in this event during the season. Maybe 6 times per season? It would also require some coaches that understand the stresses placed on the body.

4. I agree they are to low, but you cannot exceed what is expected of the athletes at the international level.

5. Keep each division racing during their meet. Those changes would make it extremely difficult to follow the team scores across both days and, adds races in to the schedule at a point in time to where they are meaningless to the rest of the track events at that point in time.

6. Absolutely. Have a morning session and an evening session on both days. Would it also be possible to add a Thursday evening pre-lims session. Then rotate the schedule from year to year like it used to be. This would certainly alleviate a lot of the traffic and parking issues. Cost is probably the main issue here.

DIII- Thursday evening pre-lims/Friday evening finals
DII-Friday morning pre-lims/Saturday morning finals
DI- Friday evening pre-lims/Saturday evening finals

as i was reading that thread, it made me think of other events that should change, and here's what i've come up with

First:
Let's do away with 300H and got to 400H....
second:
Replace 4x800 with Distance Medley
Third:
add the triple jump (hopefully soon)
Fourth:
raise hurdle height for girls, have them run 36 inch for 100h, and 33 for 300h (or 400h)
Fifth:
Find away for scheduling at regional and state meet to allow distance runners to double, even triple in races. Maybe run the 3200 D1 during Division 3, and run D1 1600 during D1, and so on....
Sixth:
Run State meet under the lights! at least maybe the finals!!

of course, this is what i would change if I'm commisioner for a day... thoughts

Easy solution on the tripling of distance runners. Run the 3200m finals on Friday, then the 1600m/800m on Saturday.

The state meet did experiment with scheduling on the 2 mile back in the early-mid 70's. Early on when the state meet ran all the classes together at one time, they ran the 2 miles at the beginning of the meet. Then they changed to running 2 classes of 2 miles at the beginning of the meet, then one class in its now normal slot between the 220yd and 4x440y relay.

Forget the change in hurdles heights for obvious reasons as stated in another response. That would mark the 4th change in the hurdles, too, in the last 35 years. Forget it.

I have no problems with the 400mH. Iowa does it.

I have no problems switching to the DMR.

TRIPLE JUMP, YES!

fair question, i believe, personally, that it should be that high for ncaa and iaaf, we should even make the throwers throw a heavier shot an discus...

for the hurdles, you run 30" for girls and 33" for boys in middle school for the 100 hurdles and 110, but in high school, girls only go up 3 inches to 33 and boys 6 inches to 39. Then in college, girls remain the same, but boys go another 3 inches....

again, these are personal suggestions, that's all, i assume you like the other suggestions :)

The shot weight has been the same at 12 lbs since 1908. The new international youth shot is even less at 5 kgs (11 lbs) (17 and under), while the junior (18-19yo) shot is 6kg (13.2 lbs). Given the 3 shots now in use for HS-aged athletes world-wide, I see only confusion in changing things now. Stay with the 12 lb.

As for the discus, the new youth implement is 1.5 kg, less than the HS discus at 1.616kg, and the junior implement (1.75kg) is heavier. Again, the same situation as the shot. Stay with the current discus.

The problem in trying to use another implement is that the US high school system does not distinguish between age groups and the vast athletic differences there are between a 14 year old freshmen and that of a 19 year old senior. The differences are PROFOUND. Unless the HS system wishes to start recognizing those differences, then there is no reason to change. The current weights offer a balance between the youth and junior implements. Stick with them.

must be a fan of the sprint....

The 4X800 is a great race for mid-distance and distance runners, and is a college event...why would you want to eliminate the 4X800. And, since I am a fan of distance, add the DMR!

Adding the triple jump would be great....

Too bad we can't add the steeple chase!