OT: Kent State

I know this is a little off topic, but those in NE Ohio, Kent State is worth a watch. Good defensively and a great point guard. May be an NCAA team.

This Kent team is the real deal. They have 3 losses, all close games against Houston, Gonzaga, and Charleston, all by under 7 points. They are undefeated in MAC play. With the new rankings this week they are 30th.

Would not want to test the process, but they may be able to sneak a bid even if they don't win the MAC Tourney
Unfortunately not going to happen. The selection committee has no respect for the MAC. If you don't win the MAC tourney, you are headed for the NIT ... at best...

With Kents strength of schedule, and all of their 3 losses were on the road by 2 -7 points they have a good chance of a bid.

This Kent team is the real deal. They have 3 losses, all close games against Houston, Gonzaga, and Charleston, all by under 7 points. They are undefeated in MAC play. With the new rankings this week they are 30th.
I believe they had leads in each of those games in the last 5 minutes of play, but couldn't pull them out in the end.

They talk about Kent state basketball quite a bit in the MAC thread on the college basketball board here

My Florida Atlantic Owls are ranked 21 so I'm thrilled. First ranking ever

Lost @ Northern Illinois last night. 16-4. They play at Akron Feb 3, then host Akron March 3. Those games often sell out and are worth the trip. I highly recommend the experience. NCAA.com called Kent the "most dangerous team in the country that no one is talking about." Solon grad Sincere Carry is believed by some to be the best mid-major PG in the nation. But they probably have to win the MAC tourney to get in the tournament. It's always fragile. A very competitive league in basketball.

Lost @ Northern Illinois last night. 16-4. They play at Akron Feb 3, then host Akron March 3. Those games often sell out and are worth the trip. I highly recommend the experience. NCAA.com called Kent the "most dangerous team in the country that no one is talking about." Solon grad Sincere Carry is believed by some to be the best mid-major PG in the nation. But they probably have to win the MAC tourney to get in the tournament. It's always fragile. A very competitive league in basketball.
That was a tough loss last night. But still very solid season. Agree that likely will need to win the MAC tourney to see the NCAA bracket (right or wrong).

Not doubting the talent on the Kent squad and their NCAA tourney chances, but neighboring Youngstown State University is also in the midst of a fine men's basketball season. So much so that they're hosting a nationally-televised game Friday night from their Beeghly Center court. The Penguins, who are tied for third place in the Horizon League, enter the game with an overall record of 15-6 and a 7-3 mark in the Horizon League while their opponent the Oakland (Mich.) Golden Grizzlies are 8-12 overall and 6-3 in league play. The game will be televised on ESPN2 at 9:00 pm ET.

I've seen some snippets touting YSU as one of the top "mid-major" programs this winter and a possible surprise NCAA tourney appearance if they can continue their winning ways. Youngstown State is currently tied for 5th among all NCAA Division I teams scoring 84.5 points per game. Oakland is coached by northwestern Ohio native Greg Kampe, who's now in his 38th year as their head coach, second only to Syracuse's Jim Boeheim for the longest tenure among active Division I head basketball coaches.

Last edited: