OSU Wrestle Offs

125 Malik v Koontz
133 Flerlage v Koontz Winner gets Gonzales.
141 Decatur v Lautzenheiser Winner gets D'Emilio.
157 Hepner v Wilcox Winner gets Paddy.
174 Smith v Hall
184 Geog v Bell (I just want to see Geog wrestle. I believe he's going to be a really good Buckeye)
197 Boykin v Stein Winner gets Hoffman.
285 Swenski v Misita Winner gets Orndorff.

That's thirteen matches and someone above mentioned, "both nights" that seems like a decent amount of wrestling mixed in with fanfare.
If it's only one night, it seems like too many matches.
I think Mendez, Bouzakis, Feldman wrestle at the MSU Open and we don't see them here.

I believe the Buckeye line-up is pretty set for the season before any, "wrestle off" and I have no idea if any of this is even close. Just looking to generate some discussion. College wrestling is near. U23 World Championship is happening and World Cup is coming up. 💪

125 Malik v Koontz
133 Flerlage v Koontz Winner gets Gonzales.
141 Decatur v Lautzenheiser Winner gets D'Emilio.
157 Hepner v Wilcox Winner gets Paddy.
174 Smith v Hall
184 Geog v Bell (I just want to see Geog wrestle. I believe he's going to be a really good Buckeye)
197 Boykin v Stein Winner gets Hoffman.
285 Swenski v Misita Winner gets Orndorff.

That's thirteen matches and someone above mentioned, "both nights" that seems like a decent amount of wrestling mixed in with fanfare.
If it's only one night, it seems like too many matches.
I think Mendez, Bouzakis, Feldman wrestle at the MSU Open and we don't see them here.

I believe the Buckeye line-up is pretty set for the season before any, "wrestle off" and I have no idea if any of this is even close. Just looking to generate some discussion. College wrestling is near. U23 World Championship is happening and World Cup is coming up. 💪
2 rounds: Tuesday (live-streamed) and Thursday. I heard Coach Ryan talking about taking the entire team to Michigan State. 👍🏻

2 rounds: Tuesday (live-streamed) and Thursday. I heard Coach Ryan talking about taking the entire team to Michigan State. 👍🏻
Thanks. ✌️

Intermat: "Will you send redshirts to open tournaments and count that as one of their "five dates?"

Jaggers: "Yes. We are doing that with our first team event of the year, the Michigan State Open."

Hope that's true. That's an easy drive for me at about 70 miles each way. Would be a "must see" if they are taking the entire team - or even 80% of it would suffice.

BTW - didn't see Bouzakis listed for the wrestle offs. Is he redshirting and sitting out - and if so, would he be expected to be wrestling unattached at MSU Open along with maybe Feldman, Shumate, and Mendez who are also not shown in the wrestle offs.

Decatur vs D'Emilio is the match of the wrestle offs to watch. I thought D'Emilio had a strong year last season, and 141 has lost many of the best from last year. Matthews PITT is ranked #1 after a 5th AA last year. Next you have Woods STANF -> IOWA at 6th AA, Bergeland MINN 7th AA, Composto PENN 8th AA (reportedly taking a RS this year), Alirez N COLO R12, Carlson S DAK ST, 8th AA in '21 and R12 last year, fellow OH guy Hart MIZZ R12 in '21, and finally D'Emilio R16 ranked 8th (7th if Composto RS's). This is hardly a murderer's row ahead of D'Emilio. Meanwhile, Decatur enters the conversation as a top 5 or 6 overall recruit who struggled mightily w/ his weight at 133. He bumps up to 141 last year and beats the Cuban guy who everyone raved about (forgot his name) and then beat D'Emilio to earn the spot. Unfortunately an injury ended his season before it started. I really like both of these guys and I think either could AA.

BTW - didn't see Bouzakis listed for the wrestle offs. Is he redshirting and sitting out - and if so, would he be expected to be wrestling unattached at MSU Open along with maybe Feldman, Shumate, and Mendez who are also not shown in the wrestle offs.
Where do you see a, 'list' for wrestle offs?

Last edited:
Where do you see a, 'list' for wrestle offs?
Just looking at what you had posted above. I thought that was official. No inside knowledge at all. I guess that is how rumors start - didn't pick up on the fact you were speculating at what it could look like. Was the bolding added later? Not sure how I would have missed that or that it was intended to be speculative.

Not sure if you need a Flo membership to see this, but a great preview of the MSU Open on 11/5. According to this write up, it looks like pretty much the entire OSU line-up, freshman, redshirts, and others will be there. Looks like it could be the best MSU tournament in its history.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/8171575-michigan-state-open-preview-predictions.

I can copy the predictions if this can't be opened. A lot of potential match ups that are top level for an opening weekend of wrestling.

I hear what you're saying but I believe that was always D'Emilio's spot.
D'Emilio improved tremendously during last season. And Decatur never lived up to his recruiting hype. I'll give Decatur a pass tho b/c he never was a 133. And his injury kept him on the sidelines last year while D'Emilio was getting better. All that being said said, I wouldn't be shocked if Decatur won the spot. We'll soon find out.

Didn't Decatur win the wrestleoff last year? I can't quite remember. But even so, he took Clarke, the NCAA Runner-up to OT in the dual with North Carolina last year. I think the move to 141 has really helped him, and whether the spot is his or D'Emilio, either one will make some noise at the NCAA's this year

Didn't Decatur win the wrestleoff last year? I can't quite remember. But even so, he took Clarke, the NCAA Runner-up to OT in the dual with North Carolina last year. I think the move to 141 has really helped him, and whether the spot is his or D'Emilio, either one will make some noise at the NCAA's this year
Yes he did win the wrestleoff vs both the Cuban (name?) and D'Emilio. He then takes the NCAA runnerup Clarke NC to SV and loses 3-1 in early Nov. I think he then injured his foot b/c D'Emilio took over. Decatur was back wrestling in early Feb at the Edinboro Open where he lost a match to some character from APP ST and then MFF his next match and didn't wrestle again for the rest of the season. If the guy who beat D'Emilio and took Clarke to SV is the current version of Decatur, then he can beat D'Emilio and be an AA contender. If his foot is still an issue, then not. I think I remember that he had surgery on his foot. Bo Jordan was never the same after his foot problems. Hopefully Decatur is fully healed and ready to go.

Last edited: