OSU vs Columbia/UNC

Malik needs the Old118 weight class...
People often say stuff like this about Malik or other light guys, but back when 118 was a weight class the recovery time was way longer and most guys making that cut were at least as big as today's 125 pounders. When the weight classes shifted some guys moved up all the way from 118 to 133. If there were a lighter weight class under today's rules then yes, it probably would benefit him. But with the old 118 under the old rules he'd be facing basically the same guys he's facing now.

If there were a lighter weight class under today's rules then yes, it probably would benefit him.
Now you got it. I wouldn't want a 118 weight class with regulations that were pre 1997 for a guy that's wrestling in 2022? :)

Last edited:
Now you got it. I wouldn't want a 118 weight class with regulations that were pre 1997 for a guy that's wrestling in 2022? :)
Agreed; we don't want to go back to those rules. Perhaps I was painting with a broad brush and shouldn't have lumped you in, but I often hear people say similar things with the implication that wrestler X would've been better off back when that weight class existed. I guess I find it to be a moot point.