OSU Path to the Playoffs

Pope Francis 1

It's pretty simple with OSU coming in at #5 in the rankings after the pitiful performance vs ttun......

If #3 TCU or #4USC loses in their conference championship games this weekend, OSU jumps into the top 4. Both TCU & USC are only 3 point favorites, so it's a very real possibility. Do they deserve to go after last Saturday, no they don't. But they snuck in the playoffs in 2014 (I think) and took home the title as the #4 seed. Could history repeat itself???

Last edited:

Ohio State will not sneak in like a thief in the night, regardless of what happens this weekend. They are toast just waiting for a meaningless bowl game to be their layer of hot butter or peanut butter.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

It's pretty simple with OSU coming in at #5 in the rankings after the pitiful performance vs ttun......

If #3 TCU or #4USC loses in their conference championship games this weekend, OSU jumps into the top 4. And both are only 3 point favorites, so it's a very real possibility. Do they deserve to go after last Saturday, no they don't. But they snuck in the playoffs in 2014 (I think) and took home the title as the #4 seed. Could history repeat itself???
I see an enormous difference as back then, a 3rd string QB led them to a dominant 59-0 beatdown of a top-15 opponent in their conference championship game. This coming weekend there is no chance to impress as they're sitting at home on the couch.

For a number of reasons I think the field is more open than usual. If any of a few undeserving teams backed in and finally got it together over the next month, I could legitimately see them contending to win it. On an individual talent basis the current field looks much worse than what is usually the norm.

Bet the house and get rich quick with the Pope's Pick for the upset this weekend....... guaranteed!!!!

Kansas St - 34
TCU - 31

and the 4th and final spot for the CFP goes to.................... envelope please................. the Ohio State University!

If #3 TCU or #4USC loses in their conference championship games this weekend, OSU jumps into the top 4. And both are only 3 point favorites, so it's a very real possibility. Do they deserve to go after last Saturday, no they don't. But they snuck in the playoffs in 2014 (I think) and took home the title as the #4 seed. Could history repeat itself???
Unless TCU gets boat-raced by Kansas State, they should remain in the top 4 even with a loss. They have the best SOS of the top 4, they have the #1 SOR. If they were to lose in a close one to Kansas State, they should still make it IMO.

USC on the other hand would have two losses, so that should put them out and slide Ohio State in.

Bet the house and get rich quick with the Pope's Pick for the upset this weekend....... guaranteed!!!!

Kansas St - 34
TCU - 31

and the 4th and final spot for the CFP goes to.................... envelope please................. the Ohio State University!
I would still take TCU in that scenario, and it’s not a tough call.

Unless TCU gets boat-raced by Kansas State, they should remain in the top 4 even with a loss. They have the best SOS of the top 4, they have the #1 SOR. If they were to lose in a close one to Kansas State, they should still make it IMO.

USC on the other hand would have two losses, so that should put them out and slide Ohio State in.
USC should declare a Covid outbreak and have the game canceled then. Why even play the game if they can only be hurt by it?

USC should declare a Covid outbreak and have the game canceled then. Why even play the game if they can only be hurt by it?

That's the argument against conference championship games. If you're on the inside of the 4, they can only hurt you. If you're on the outside, it's an opportunity to get in. Unless you're the SEC then you can lose and still get in.

Any one of the top 4 loses, and the Buckeyes are in. Right now, the committee has it correct. 3 undefeated teams deserve to be there. Now you have two - 1 loss teams, USC and OSU. USC just won and play in their conf. championship. OSU just lost. Pretty simple. OSU should be #5.
If any of the undefeated teams lose, their loss will be worse than the Buckeyes' loss. OSU lost to a top 2 team in the country, and regardless of the final outcome, it was close until the 4th quarter. If Georgia, TCU, and/or USC lose, it would be to a 3 loss team. That's a worse loss no matter how you shake it. A UM loss would be to a 4 loss team (Purdue). If OSU drops from 2 to 5 losing to the 2nd best team in the country, then any of the top 4 should fall AT LEAST that far with a loss to an "inferior" team. That's the most objective way to state it. No 2 loss team will jump in, unless 2 of those 4 lose and USC is one of them. Any other scenario is based on subjectivity and bias (and there's definitely plenty of that out there). If all 4 win, nothing changes, OSU is out. In no scenario, does Alabama jump OSU to get in. If the committee thought Alabama should be higher than OSU, they would have put them there last night when the rankings came out.

Any one of the top 4 loses, and the Buckeyes are in. Right now, the committee has it correct. 3 undefeated teams deserve to be there. Now you have two - 1 loss teams, USC and OSU. USC just won and play in their conf. championship. OSU just lost. Pretty simple. OSU should be #5.
If any of the undefeated teams lose, their loss will be worse than the Buckeyes' loss. OSU lost to a top 2 team in the country, and regardless of the final outcome, it was close until the 4th quarter. If Georgia, TCU, and/or USC lose, it would be to a 3 loss team. That's a worse loss no matter how you shake it. A UM loss would be to a 4 loss team (Purdue). If OSU drops from 2 to 5 losing to the 2nd best team in the country, then any of the top 4 should fall AT LEAST that far with a loss to an "inferior" team. That's the most objective way to state it. No 2 loss team will jump in, unless 2 of those 4 lose and USC is one of them. Any other scenario is based on subjectivity and bias (and there's definitely plenty of that out there). If all 4 win, nothing changes, OSU is out. In no scenario, does Alabama jump OSU to get in. If the committee thought Alabama should be higher than OSU, they would have put them there last night when the rankings came out.
BINGO!!!

espn isn't big fans of Tosu or the big ten
ESPIN is owned by Disney, Disney shareholders care about one thing and one thing only profits. The committee is hoping I would say praying that TCU loses. Espn would love to have a FF 4 of TTUN, UGA, OSU and USC. If both USC and TCU somehow lost this week, OSU and Bammy would be their replacements. TTUN and UGA are in regardless of winning or losing this Sat.

ESPIN is owned by Disney, Disney shareholders care about one thing and one thing only profits. The committee is hoping I would say praying that TCU loses. Espn would love to have a FF 4 of TTUN, UGA, OSU and USC. If both USC and TCU somehow lost this week, OSU and Bammy would be their replacements. TTUN and UGA are in regardless of winning or losing this Sat.
I agree with most of what you said. But if Georgia loses to a 3 loss team or UM loses to a 4 loss team, how is that better than OSU losing to a Top 2 UM? I think if any of the top 4 lose, they are, or should be out.

Those of you saying that OSU does "not deserve to get in" are just being overly emotional about the Buckeyes losing to UM. Put on your big boy pants and be logical.

- If TCU loses to KState, OSU is clearly more deserving based on their lone loss being to #2.
- If USC loses they have 2 losses, to Utah. Are they more deserving than OSU? Please.
- Alabama has 2 losses to teams not as good as UM, and they have a couple more last gasp wins against worse teams. No contest.

As a reminder, Alabama won two national championships in years where they did not win the SEC West division, but they "snuck in " to the playoff. Perhaps OSU does it this year?

I agree with most of what you said. But if Georgia loses to a 3 loss team or UM loses to a 4 loss team, how is that better than OSU losing to a Top 2 UM? I think if any of the top 4 lose, they are, or should be out.
Georgia and Michigan are in regardless of this coming Saturday’s results. TCU might be, too. USC should be in over Ohio State regardless of this Friday night, but I won’t hold my breath that the committee would do the right thing and keep USC in if it came down to that.

Georgia and Michigan are in regardless of this coming Saturday’s results. TCU might be, too. USC should be in over Ohio State regardless of this Friday night, but I won’t hold my breath that the committee would do the right thing and keep USC in if it came down to that.

This is based on feeling and bias, not actual facts and stats.

A two loss team isn’t making the playoff. Auburn had a chance in 2017, but blew it in the sec title game against Georgia after being them like 3 weeks prior.

Disagree with the assumption that any of the top 4 losing would put them on the outside. Georgia is in regardless. As is Michigan, as they own the head-to-head over Ohio State. If those two lose, they're still in.

If TCU loses, they should still be in, but they'll likely fall out in favor of Ohio State. And if USC loses they're definitely out, in favor of Ohio State.

The notion that Ohio State fell 3 spots, so anyone who loses this weekend should fall that many spots is silly. You know that's not how it works, nor should it. There are other factors as to why the teams moved around the way they did, most notably TCU staying undefeated and blasting a team they should in ISU, and USC beating two ranked opponents in back-to-back weeks.