Opt in/out date.

USA70PP

Maybe I've overlooked it, but when is the opt in/out date for the teams that want to be in the playoffs?

Article about the OHSAA release concerning playoffs:

According to the release, playoff seeding will be determined via a coaches vote to be held on Sept. 28. All playoff matchups through the regional semifinals (and possibly the regional finals) will be hosted by the higher seed.
Schools opting to participate in this year's postseason must state their intentions to do so by Sept. 17. The regions will be drawn on Sept. 18, with schools having the right to withdraw without penalty until Sept. 24.

Interesting. Vienna Matthews is 2-1 so far. Is this a COVID thing, a money thing, or something else?
Something else. They probably feel like they wouldn't be very competitive but its not a great message to send to your kids. I'm sure money has some part to play also too though.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I think we will see a number of school opt out due to the fact that they may likely be beaten handily in the first round. I personally don't care who my son's team plays, give the kids a chance. Baseball and basketball have similar match-ups early in their tourneys and seem to survive. Also its my understanding that the top 2/4 seeds in each region get a bye??? So first round games could be more competitive than people think.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I think we will see a number of school opt out due to the fact that they may likely be beaten handily in the first round. I personally don't care who my son's team plays, give the kids a chance. Baseball and basketball have similar match-ups early in their tourneys and seem to survive. Also its my understanding that the top 2/4 seeds in each region get a bye??? So first round games could be more competitive than people think.
I think the bye is going to depend on the number of teams that opt in. Could be wrong though. But yes first round games could be competitive if their are byes. I don't understand opting out at all. Give the kids playoff experience. If you lose you can still play games, most schools have games scheduled later already.

You could have anywhere between 4-6 teams get first round byes. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I think there will be some seeding issues like the other sports. Central Catholic League teams will be a good test of morals for coaches in Div. III. They all play each other 2x and they've been razor close games through the first time around. Hartley, Watterson and DeSales are all better than some teams in that region that will be 5-0, 4-1. Will coaches do the right thing and vote them up or will they let records get in the way?

You could have anywhere between 4-6 teams get first round byes. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I think there will be some seeding issues like the other sports. Central Catholic League teams will be a good test of morals for coaches in Div. III. They all play each other 2x and they've been razor close games through the first time around. Hartley, Watterson and DeSales are all better than some teams in that region that will be 5-0, 4-1. Will coaches do the right thing and vote them up or will they let records get in the way?

I think ALOT of seed voting will be copy and paste from eitel's site.

I saw on the OHSAA webpage that during a playoff game, the OHSAA gets 25% of the take from any 50-50 drawing. Winner gets 50% and whoever runs it gets 25%.

Maybe these teams want to keep their 50-50 money :)

I also don't understand opting out.

This year, schools get 0% of the ticket money and no reimbursement for travel or other expenses. That is new. So it's impossible for a road team to make money on a playoff game, and a home team would only make money from concession/parking. So why not opt out and get the gate?

Will champions this year have an asterisk by their name/date?

Why? You will still have to win your playoff games. Plus there will be no argument over the #9 team being better than the top 8, but getting left out. Only teams out will be teams who opt out, thus eliminating any and all argument.

If anything this is more legit. Everyone who wants in has a shot. No more "if this had gone different and we make it we go on a run." You're in. Go prove it.

Maybe it’s just me but I find it odd that a team (Waterloo) that has only made 1 playoff appearance in 1999 with 0 playoff wins would opt out of the playoffs.
If it’s a financial decision, then obviously their decision to change conferences 3 years ago with longer travel and increased costs was a poor one.

Maybe it’s just me but I find it odd that a team (Waterloo) that has only made 1 playoff appearance in 1999 with 0 playoff wins would opt out of the playoffs.
If it’s a financial decision, then obviously their decision to change conferences 3 years ago with longer travel and increased costs was a poor one.
They lost 41-12 to Lowellville. Any first round game against a winning team would be a bloodbath. Plus having to pay for the honor of traveling to their stadium. Just not worth it.

In past years, there have been some long trips for playoff football games in the first round. A couple of the extremes I can recall, Orange (Pepper Pike) traveling to St. Mary's Memorial and Fort Frye traveling to Kirtland, in both those cases the road team got "running clocked".

Now it's more likely than not, there will be some first round byes, but you could have some non-flattering games. In say a 22-team region, you have the top 10 seeds get a bye, and then 22 traveling to 11. 11 in a normal year would be a .500 type team, 22 is a one-win team. With no travel reimbursement, why risk having a super long trip to get running clocked.

In your other sports, there are the geographic districts, which at least provides some containment of travel for the earlier rounds.

This question might be premature but are any of the schools opting out potentially losing a first or second round home game?