Online ticket sale requirement for tourney. Asinine.

If you're planning on going to watch Seton v Milford tomorrow the pieces of trash at Princeton have decided to add on $5 parking.
This is why many Schools don’t bother to bid or put in to Host Playoff Games. They are called trash for Hosting and making some money for their Schools Athletic Department! You sound like you are against Schools hosting and making a few bucks,Why?

I don't think it's about being against schools taking in money to cover costs. The question is, at what point is it considered excessive? Why not charge $10, $15, or even $20 for parking? I mean, it's all going to a "good cause" anyway, right? Where do you draw the line, and why?

As mentioned earlier, parents already pay the pay-to-play fees, which differ from one school district to another. Then there are the supplemental fees like tickets and parking, which might as well be labeled pay-to-watch fees - a burden also paid primarily by the parents. Are these funds really for the sport being played? What is done with any excess that's collected? Is there a strict operating budget, or is it assumed they can just raise fees or concoct new ones when they overspend?

Good questions worth pondering. For me, it comes down to transparency and some doubt that schools are always keeping the players, their families, and the community's best interests in mind. They have become complacent with outsourcing costs in the form of fees over the years, and not just with sports, but it didn't always used to be that way.

Last edited:
What pisses me off is the fees on top of the ticket price.
Just to add a few additional notes on this topic and your statement here. Just paid $8 + $0.55 processing fee for districts, now regionals are $10 + $0.61, why the hell does it cost more to transact $10 VS $8??? It's not even a set percentage of the base gate fee so? What hasn't been brought up here is in the regular season inconsistencies. Some schools only have e-tickets and charge around a $1.50 in fees on top of $7, others charge $5 cash. Since there is no consistency here, if there is a $ range controlled by the OHSAA, one would think that all schools would choose to charge the top end but that is not the case.

Just to add a few additional notes on this topic and your statement here. Just paid $8 + $0.55 processing fee for districts, now regionals are $10 + $0.61, why the hell does it cost more to transact $10 VS $8??? It's not even a set percentage of the base gate fee so? What hasn't been brought up here is in the regular season inconsistencies. Some schools only have e-tickets and charge around a $1.50 in fees on top of $7, others charge $5 cash. Since there is no consistency here, if there is a $ range controlled by the OHSAA, one would think that all schools would choose to charge the top end but that is not the case.
Might want to look at your statement again. $.55 sounds cheap for Hometown. I thought they did a $1 "convenience fee" and then charge a % of the purchase as a credit card fee. That could explain the .55 to.61 difference, all CC companies charge a percentage for the "privilege" to use their service.
Many times leagues choose the admission prices and all schools in the league are supposed to match it.
I agree the OHSAA should cover the convenience fees for the tournament tickets. People are already struggling with their prices, why nickel and dime them to death afterwards?
As for why they insist on online ticketing... some people have mentioned it. Easier to audit, less human error, less money spent buying paper tickets and paying shipping to and from the sites, and (point blank) no chance of sites misrepresenting the amount of sales. As much as I want to believe in the morals of the host sites, there are many school leaders who have faced charges for mishandling funds. And that's just the ones they caught.

I wasn't questioning why online ticketing? It was referencing regular season inconsistencies, having to check in advance of each away game to determine if one needed to buy online or not. And that there is no set fee during the regular season.

I do not mind online sales. I think they should also accept cash at the gate. The paying to park is stupid and OHSAA should not allow it. I know the schools want to raise money but this is not the way to do it. Many charge students for parking passes and now this.. Give me a break.. DUMB!!

I wasn't questioning why online ticketing? It was referencing regular season inconsistencies, having to check in advance of each away game to determine if one needed to buy online or not. And that there is no set fee during the regular season.
Regular season ticket pricing and method is up to the individual schools. Our school wraps the Hometown fee into the total price of the ticket. Others don’t. Every school has a variety of different policies. One school we went to had free admission for all senior citizens. That was a nice touch, especially since a lot of grandparents like to go to games.