Online ticket sale requirement for tourney. Asinine.

Tesoro

I know this has been discussed a million times on yappi. Just wanted to add a personal observation from last night. Went to girls soccer game and first off, I didn't realize that I needed electronic tickets so..took me a good 15 minutes of being pissed off in the cold, fumbling on my phone. WHile I was doing that there were 7 people that came to the gate without tickets and just left without going to the game. Another lady came and turned around and I said "hey...i'm just about to place my order for tickets, I'll buy you one".

OHSAA is losing more money by continuing on with this bullcrap than they are saving. What's their end game?

Last edited:

I know this has been discussed a million times on yappi. Just wanted to add a personal observation from last night. Went to girls soccer game and first off, I didn't realize that I needed electronic tickets so..took me a good 15 minutes of being pissed off in the cold, fumbling on my phone. WHile I was doing that there were 7 people that came to the gate without tickets and just left without going to the game. Another lady came and turned around and I said "hey...i'm just about to place my order for tickets, I'll buy you one".

OHSAA is losing more money by continuing on with this bullcrap than they are saving. What's their end game?
The “end game” is they don’t have to hire people to rectify paper tickets for the entire state anymore. Saving on that salary/benefits/time is more than making up for any loss of sales.

Right. No School would Host if they didn’t make any money and or lost money!! Some people are just a little slow!
And in the first round of the soccer tournament, even if the schools kept 100% of the ticket sales, wouldn’t really matter. My 9-1 blowout first round sectional game in the rain last night had maybe 30 people in the stands. That’d be $240 to the OHSAA, and the fee they pay to the schools is higher than that.

Actually, it appears to be accurate. Here are the flat fees that are paid to hosts of soccer tournament games in the Southwest District:
  • 1st/2nd Round – $400
  • District Semi-Finals - $475
  • District Finals - $550
Link: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/DAB...

Here is an old 2018 document for the Central District, and I'm sure the flat fees have gone up since then:
https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/DAB/Central...
curious if that’s somewhat new over the past few years?

Not sure, but I have often wondered why top-seeded teams would pass up on the bye slots when they're available (something I've noticed since like 2015), and now it makes sense why.

Not sure, but I have often wondered why top-seeded teams would pass up on the bye slots when they're available (something I've noticed since like 2015), and now it makes sense why.
Some teams also just prefer to play a first round game. They use it for practice in many cases.

Didnt know that. So....school just hosts a game and pays for lights etc. with concession sales?
Looks like this has been cleared up, but I know for some GWOC schools, concession sales don't even go to the sport playing on the field. It may go to a bigger sport at the school, such as baseball or football.

Some teams also just prefer to play a first round game. They use it for practice in many cases.
Could be the intention for some, but I doubt that's often the case. In almost every major sport I can think of, you are shooting for the bye.

Players aren't getting anything out of most of these 1st rd matchups anyway. They often get paired against the weakest teams (Miamisburg vs Stebbins 10-0, Beavercreek vs Springfield 6-0). Even if you argue it's for extra touches, those are hardly worth the risk for injury, especially in cold/rainy/windy nights like we had last night.

Last edited:
Actually, it appears to be accurate. Here are the flat fees that are paid to hosts of soccer tournament games in the Southwest District:

curious if that’s somewhat new over the past few years?
I worked at the OHSAA from 2013-2021. Host sites got paid then in all sports at least that entire time, and I don’t think it was new when I started.

The “end game” is they don’t have to hire people to rectify paper tickets for the entire state anymore. Saving on that salary/benefits/time is more than making up for any loss of sales.
So...it's really about the money and not having as many people support athletic games as is possible.

Sure. If it was about having as many people support athletic games as possible tickets would be free, right?
Crazy when you think about it. Aside from some students and spectators, it's ultimately the parents paying again on top of "pay-to-play" fees and any taxes collected in public school systems. Sad that we've let public sports get to this...

I have not been to a game in quite a few years, but was planning on going to the Seton/Milford game tomorrow night and i can't buy tickets at the gate?

OHSAA is cleaning up on playoff tickets sales. They keep 100% of ticket sales which is crazy.
I had to pay $8 to park at VOA for one day ant $15 for the weekend for my kids club tourney, plus the host club charges an entry fee. How is this any different? OHSAA has to cover their costs or else every Tea Party nutjob would be complaining about how taxpayers are subsidizing HS sports.

So...it's really about the money and not having as many people support athletic games as is possible.
What involving Schools is not about money? Most Schools don’t charge for HS Baseball and many people still don’t show up to watch. Some private schools obviously charge tuition and charge a fee to play sports. It’s ALL about $$!

Why do people complain about HS sports when they pay 2-3 grand for little Suzy to play club soccer but schools that suppy kits, balls, trainers, coaches, refs, turf fields, etc. is "all about the money". I guarentee you noboby in the schools or OHSAA is getting rich off of HS soccer. Even a pay-to-play fee of $500 pales in comparison to what parents pay for club soccer.