Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Rate and review the movie "Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood"

A faded television actor and his stunt double strive to achieve fame and success in the film industry during the final years of Hollywood's Golden Age in 1969 Los Angeles.

I gave it a 6/8 on Vamps, so I think a 7.5 is about right on a 10 pt scale. It’s a middle of the pack movie for Tarantino, but still really damn good. It starts out slow and drags a bit. However, the acting from DiCaprio and Pitt is top notch. Robbie is also very good even with limited dialogue, you get a sense of who Sharon Tate was. The set design and soundtrack were superb. I’d have to say my favorite scene was when Pitt went to the Spahn Ranch. It was really intense all the way through and they did such a good job at capturing the creepy vibes of that place.

I gave 7/8 Vamps, considered going 6.5/8. Pretty much agree with everything Omar said. Fantastic acting from the main characters and superb cinematic elements.

I have to ask - your disparate response has me curious. What did you hate - the slow start pboy references ?
Acting: Good.
Time period accuracy: Good.

It just was very slow, with way too many empty scenes that went and lead to nowhere. I thought it had great potential but just fell very short and we were so bored that 2 of our group left and a I saw a few more leave as well. It just droned on and on. The only decent part was when he visited that ranch that the group was living in. The over the top violent scene was predictable being a Tarantino film.

Overall, not a good flick in my estimation. I was excited after seeing previews and an interview with DiCaprio a few days prior.

When it comes to Tarantino you either love him and his style or hate it. For the most part I dig what he does, in particular the dialogue, but then again the wife hates him because of the gratuitous use of violence and heavy use of the N-word.

I'm somewhere between thavoice and everyone else on this. There were a lot of "duds" of scenes that went on forever, with a few incredible scenes interspersed

My son saw it and thought it should have been a 100 minute movie rather than a 165 minute movie. Thought is was decent, not great.

I didn't almost walk out; I flat out did. It just sucked.
We almost did, but it was the principle of it all since I paid for the full movie, plus I still had more popcorn and was hoping the ending would be worth it.

It wasn't.

Did notice a lot less people in there when it was over than when we walked in though.

I'll eventually go see it, but it sounds like the formula has gone stale.

Which it probably did 5 films ago.

I liked it. It is a Tarantino film so you go in expecting long twisting scenes of dialogue. Stale? Eh, as I said on another thread Tarantino has a certain "brand" that is dying in Hollywood.

I laughed my arse off on several occasions throughout.

I agree with Irish Buffalo, it was a Tarantino film,and for those who thought it sucked or simply walked out, I have to wonder what were their expectations when they purchased a ticket.

Certainly Tarantino isn't for everyone, but his previous 8 films should have given most any moviegoer some idea of what to expect in advance. The dialogue is Tarantino's strong suit. I would guess many of those who walked out of the theater have likely done the same for many of the Coen brothers efforts as well. I'm a big fan of most Coen brothers directed movies, but I know many people who feel just the opposite.

It's all good. The great thing about movies,is there usually is something for everyone's taste playing every week at the box office.

JB

Here's how I'd rank the movies Tarantino has directed, after seeing this one:

----------------------------------- Tier 1 - Masterpieces
1. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
2. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
3. Pulp Fiction (1994)
----------------------------------- Tier 2 - good, entertaining movies
4. Django Unchained (2012)
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2004)
6. Jackie Brown (1997)
7. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003)
8. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)
----------------------------------- Tier 3 - not good
9. Grindhouse (2007)
10. The Hateful Eight (2015)

2. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
3. Pulp Fiction (1994)
6. Jackie Brown (1997)
9. Grindhouse (2007)

Not a bad list but Pulp Fiction is #1 on mine & most lists. Also, I tend to like the Kill Bills better than Django Unchained.

2. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
3. Pulp Fiction (1994)
6. Jackie Brown (1997)
9. Grindhouse (2007)
Hateful 8 was Ok, but I’d agree compared to everything else, it’s at the bottom of the list.

By the way, the name is in reference to the series of Sergio Leone films that had "Once Upon a Time" in the title. If you have a lot of time check out the director's cut of Once Upon a Time in America. Basically a Western set in NYC, the cinematography and score are some of the best in the history of Hollywood.

By the way, the name is in reference to the series of Sergio Leone films that had "Once Upon a Time" in the title. If you have a lot of time check out the director's cut of Once Upon a Time in America. Basically a Western set in NYC, the cinematography and score are some of the best in the history of Hollywood.

Adding to that, the name of the fictional director for the Italian Westerns in the movie is the same alias Donnowitz has during the theater scene in Inglorious Basterds.

2. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
3. Pulp Fiction (1994)
6. Jackie Brown (1997)
9. Grindhouse (2007)
To me it's

Fiction
Dogs
Kill Bill

the rest are either something you either walk out of or fall asleep to.

I gave hateful 8 a good 30 minutes on netflix. Blah.

it's the same formula again and again and again... lots of story with little payback, some laughs and one uber violent scene stretched over 3 hours that should have been <90 minutes

To me it's

Fiction
Dogs
Kill Bill

the rest are either something you either walk out of or fall asleep to.

I gave hateful 8 a good 30 minutes on netflix. Blah.

it's the same formula again and again and again... lots of story with little payback, some laughs and one uber violent scene stretched over 3 hours that should have been <90 minutes

I obviously disagree considering I have Basterds #1, and in my top 5 favorite movies ever. It has not one, but two of the best scenes I've ever seen in any digital medium

More Easter Eggs than that. Such as Jake Cahill which is from J.D. Cahill which was a John Wayne movie (Cahill US Marshall). Tarantino was a self made film buff and has commented on more than one occasion about the Spaghetti Western genre.

Tough to make a list of Tarantino top ten IMO and of course everyone will be a bit different but guys like him and Scorsese and Coppola have had some dynamite dialogue scenes over the years.

Pulp Fiction's Jules before he shoots all the kids in the apartment and his classic scene talking to "Honey Bunny" in the diner. All of Col. Landa's scenes in Inglorious Bastards are amazing (especially the opener with the farmer hiding the Jews). Christoph Walz was equally as good in Django.

And of course lets not forget he wrote True Romance which may have the most loaded cast of any film of all time.

Very surprised to be typing this, but I hated this movie. It went nowhere for 2-1/2 hours, then had some "fun" in the last 5 minutes. I'm a fan of his other movies but this one did nothing for me. The movie ended and my wife looks at me and says "well, there's 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back."

More Easter Eggs than that. Such as Jake Cahill which is from J.D. Cahill which was a John Wayne movie (Cahill US Marshall). Tarantino was a self made film buff and has commented on more than one occasion about the Spaghetti Western genre.

Tough to make a list of Tarantino top ten IMO and of course everyone will be a bit different but guys like him and Scorsese and Coppola have had some dynamite dialogue scenes over the years.

Pulp Fiction's Jules before he shoots all the kids in the apartment and his classic scene talking to "Honey Bunny" in the diner. All of Col. Landa's scenes in Inglorious Bastards are amazing (especially the opener with the farmer hiding the Jews). Christoph Walz was equally as good in Django.

And of course lets not forget he wrote True Romance which may have the most loaded cast of any film of all time.
as far as scenes go I'm partial to the watch, the madonna speech and Travolta blowing that poor kids head off when the car hit's a bump

I've still never been so speechless in my entire life when watching a movie in the theater as when that kids head got blowm off.