Olentangy v. Perry D2R7 regional semi

perry1480

Thoughts on this game?

Perry has weathered the Columbus teams so far but this seems like a much bigger test.

what can we expect Friday?

I’ll be getting the scoop on the Braves shortly. My second cousin’s son is the head trainer for Kilbourne, who was beaten by Olentangy yesterday morning.

Think Perry wins by 10-14 olantagey has faced two wing -t teams but none as good as perry. I expect Lemon to be the deciding factor watched the Dublin Scoito game boy that young man is special.

Good luck Perry Panthers

I can guarantee you that Marysville was 100% every bit as good as Perry at operating the Wing-T. They have wave after wave of 6'3 220lb kids and just destroyed everything in their path, including the games they lost, which were more the fault of their defense.

As I said in the other thread, this game is a difficult read. Tangy absolutely DESTROYED D1 Wing-T team Darby, who recently gave to-be D1 champ Pick Central a decent half of football in the playoffs before succumbing. Tangy is playing good D1 Wing T teams, not those fed league tomato cans you have up there.

Marysville then stomped Tangy later in the year, the difference being that Marysville is just a GIGANTIC team at every position and by virtue of that, ends up being more physical. But Darby did beat Marysville, in a bit of a fluky game where Darby got an onside kick to win it, but give them credit nonetheless.

Tangy is extremely athletic and balanced/deep. No super star players, but they have 5-6 kids at skill positions that are all above average. They run an Oregon-style spread offense that is extremely run-heavy this year because the QB is a converted WR and not a natural passer. You have to respect all 3 running angles on every play (lateral WR jet motion, TB dive, QB pull and run), and that is much, much different from being able to just tee off on keying on a single player like Byrd from Canal Winchester, or even covering an option team where the QB or TB might not really be a serious threat.

Defensively, quite simply just solid in all areas. Some of the kids do play both ways, plenty of speed and strength, but the biggest thing they are lacking is size. That's why they got dominated by a team like Marysville, but where things are more even physically like with Darby, they can play with anyone. 6'4 safety Middleton is a D1 OSU baseball signee and can run with anyone, and also makes a dangerous WR when they choose to throw.

Don't let Saturday's score fool you, this was a 35-0 football game where Kilbourne happened to return a KO for a TD and then score a garbage time TD.

I haven't had a chance to watch any film on Perry yet, but ultimately this game comes down to size and technique on the lines, and we probably will know pretty early on which way this game will go. If Perry can't overpower the Tangy defenders, they will have trouble moving the ball. If Perry has size on their roster, then it is a game they should win. Despite all the college D1 linemen Tangy has produced in recent years on both sides of the ball, this is the one spot where they are lacking relative to other teams this decade.

Should be an interesting game, but may be slow-paced certainly compared to the other semi.

Last edited:
Perry will be a very physical team and runs the Wing-T better than Darby or Marysville. I believe Olentangy can play with them, but I believe Perry wears them down and wins by 10 points.

Perry will be a very physical team and runs the Wing-T better than Darby or Marysville.

No. They dont.

You guys don't have capable D1 Triple Option/WingT teams in that area, and no one in that area understands the capabilities of teams like Marysville and Darby have, nor do you have anything even remotely like the physical size that Marysville brings to the table. D1 schools have a significant depth advantage most of the time

The Perry kids will not be better conditioned than Tangy, can promise you that. Solis hammers these kids. At some point, if the other team out averages you by 3 inches and 40 lbs of muscle per player, at that point no matter of conditioning matters and there isn't much you can do. But based on what I'm seeing on youtube, that kind of superior size isn't there on this Perry team. Marysville would flatten this Perry team.

#9 is definitely a terror on defense. But I'm sure the coaches are seeing that too and will design things around where he is. He can't guard all 5 offensive threats at once.

The teams are very similar in that they play well as a team and are well coached without any players on the "top 100 in Ohio" lists.

This is going to be an interesting game.

I can guarantee you that Marysville was 100% every bit as good as Perry at operating the Wing-T. They have wave after wave of 6'3 220lb kids and just destroyed everything in their path, including the games they lost, which were more the fault of their defense.

As I said in the other thread, this game is a difficult read. Tangy absolutely DESTROYED D1 Wing-T team Darby, who recently gave to-be D1 champ Pick Central a decent half of football in the playoffs before succumbing. Tangy is playing good D1 Wing T teams, not those fed league tomato cans you have up there.

Marysville then stomped Tangy later in the year, the difference being that Marysville is just a GIGANTIC team at every position and by virtue of that, ends up being more physical. But Darby did beat Marysville, in a bit of a fluky game where Darby got an onside kick to win it, but give them credit nonetheless.

Tangy is extremely athletic and balanced/deep. No super star players, but they have 5-6 kids at skill positions that are all above average. They run an Oregon-style spread offense that is extremely run-heavy this year because the QB is a converted WR and not a natural passer. You have to respect all 3 running angles on every play (lateral WR jet motion, TB dive, QB pull and run), and that is much, much different from being able to just tee off on keying on a single player like Byrd from Canal Winchester, or even covering an option team where the QB or TB might not really be a serious threat.

Defensively, quite simply just solid in all areas. Some of the kids do play both ways, plenty of speed and strength, but the biggest thing they are lacking is size. That's why they got dominated by a team like Marysville, but where things are more even physically like with Darby, they can play with anyone. 6'4 safety Middleton is a D1 OSU baseball signee and can run with anyone, and also makes a dangerous WR when they choose to throw.

Don't let Saturday's score fool you, this was a 35-0 football game where Kilbourne happened to return a KO for a TD and then score a garbage time TD.

I haven't had a chance to watch any film on Perry yet, but ultimately this game comes down to size and technique on the lines, and we probably will know pretty early on which way this game will go. If Perry can't overpower the Tangy defenders, they will have trouble moving the ball. If Perry has size on their roster, then it is a game they should win. Despite all the college D1 linemen Tangy has produced in recent years on both sides of the ball, this is the one spot where they are lacking relative to other teams this decade.

Should be an interesting game, but may be slow-paced certainly compared to the other semi.

You haven't seen anything quite like Perry. If Olentangy can stop them on 1st down they have a chance. BTW, 3 yards on 1st down isn't a stop, that's Perry having you right where they want you. If you're going, it won't be fun. You'll look up and wonder how you're already midway through the 2nd quarter and only had a possession. If your corners are good, doesn't matter, they won't be involved in the game. When the coaches and players become consumed with keeping the chains from moving, they'll throw it over your head. Wakefield will suck you into his game. If you're up for it, you've got a shot. Most aren't. Enjoy

Perry and Olentangy seem to have a lot of the same intangibles in their program. Lots of guys who are 5’nothin, a hundred nothin but really sock it to you with effort.

No. They dont.

You guys don't have capable D1 Triple Option/WingT teams in that area, and no one in that area understands the capabilities of teams like Marysville and Darby have, nor do you have anything even remotely like the physical size that Marysville brings to the table. D1 schools have a significant depth advantage most of the time

The Perry kids will not be better conditioned than Tangy, can promise you that. Solis hammers these kids. At some point, if the other team out averages you by 3 inches and 40 lbs of muscle per player, at that point no matter of conditioning matters and there isn't much you can do. But based on what I'm seeing on youtube, that kind of superior size isn't there on this Perry team. Marysville would flatten this Perry team.

#9 is definitely a terror on defense. But I'm sure the coaches are seeing that too and will design things around where he is. He can't guard all 5 offensive threats at once.

The teams are very similar in that they play well as a team and are well coached without any players on the "top 100 in Ohio" lists.

Omg ok you will see Friday night

No. They dont.

I don't think you've heard of Keith Wakefield and it shows

No. They dont.

Might be the bonehead post of the year on the football forum. We can argue true “wing t” all day. I’ll just say this, Perry runs their offense as well as anyone in the state. Kramerica, you should stay off Harry’s Coffman thread, Harry is seeping into your brain.

Perry has been to 2 state title games in the past 6 seasons. As for your D1 nonsense, this isn’t 10 years ago, Hoban throttled St. Ed’s this season. D2 is deep anymore in Ohio, Hoban and LaSalle have proven it recently.

You seem very confident in Tangys conditioning? Apparently Tangy has found the secret in being better conditioned than other teams, Perry will be run off the field in the 4th, not even close, Tangy is in just too good of shape! Lol! Come on man!

As for the bolded statement, who are central Ohio’s “capable” triple option/ wing t teams? Darby and Marysville? The last time Darby made any noise it was like 2007. Marysville? They’re the barometer now? How many times has the storied Marysville Monarchs made the playoffs since ‘10?

First of all, I never said Tangy would run them off the field in the 4q, I was responding to the notion that the opposite thing might happen. There is not a significant conditioning edge in this game.

Marysville would 100% beat Perry in a game this year. Prior years don't matter. Perry is not more physical than Marysville and you can't block and tackle all their 6'3 220 lbs monsters who are solid muscle and wrestle. Your only chance is to outscore them throwing the football (as Northmont did) or wait for them to make multiple turnover and specialteams mistakes (as they did vs Darby).

Yes, I'm aware that D1 is significantly down in NEO and that D2 schools are beating the good D1 schools. That's not the point. The point is, that high volume/successful D1 schools with large numbers of capable athletes dont run TO/WT up there. So there isn't a program to compare it to that has a significant advantage with the raw material they are working with. Really, no one else is doing it well in Columbus right now at all. Darby is down along with Davidson. But assuming they are "bad" because they can't get past teams like Springfield and Coffman and Pick Central in D1 playoffs is a mistake and it doesn't mean teams like Perry could beat them.

The fatal flaw with any TO/WT team is that if you run into a team that is across the board bigger, more physical, and more athletic than you, you have absolutely NO HOPE of winning because you can't be dynamic on offense. Marysville this year is that team, and they will be even better next year. If you don't believe me, schedule them next year and let's see what Perry does with OSU signee Gabe Powers (and his 2 brothers who are built similarly).

That aside, Olentangy is definitely NOT that team that has a size advantage that can overpower Perry. Both teams had schedules that ended up being pretty suspect and this will definitely be the best team Perry has played this year (though to be clear, I give Tangy no chance vs Washington). These teams are evenly matched and it's difficult to tell who might win the LOS battle. But whoever does, is going to win this game.

First of all, I never said Tangy would run them off the field in the 4q, I was responding to the notion that the opposite thing might happen. There is not a significant conditioning edge in this game.

Marysville would 100% beat Perry in a game this year. Prior years don't matter. Perry is not more physical than Marysville and you can't block and tackle all their 6'3 220 lbs monsters who are solid muscle and wrestle. Your only chance is to outscore them throwing the football (as Northmont did) or wait for them to make multiple turnover and specialteams mistakes (as they did vs Darby).

Yes, I'm aware that D1 is significantly down in NEO and that D2 schools are beating the good D1 schools. That's not the point. The point is, that high volume/successful D1 schools with large numbers of capable athletes dont run TO/WT up there. So there isn't a program to compare it to that has a significant advantage with the raw material they are working with. Really, no one else is doing it well in Columbus right now at all. Darby is down along with Davidson. But assuming they are "bad" because they can't get past teams like Springfield and Coffman and Pick Central in D1 playoffs is a mistake and it doesn't mean teams like Perry could beat them.

The fatal flaw with any TO/WT team is that if you run into a team that is across the board bigger, more physical, and more athletic than you, you have absolutely NO HOPE of winning because you can't be dynamic on offense. Marysville this year is that team, and they will be even better next year. If you don't believe me, schedule them next year and let's see what Perry does with OSU signee Gabe Powers (and his 2 brothers who are built similarly).

That aside, Olentangy is definitely NOT that team that has a size advantage that can overpower Perry. Both teams had schedules that ended up being pretty suspect and this will definitely be the best team Perry has played this year (though to be clear, I give Tangy no chance vs Washington). These teams are evenly matched and it's difficult to tell who might win the LOS battle. But whoever does, is going to win this game.

Come on man, 100%? We will never know.

To the bold text, I seem to recall a vastly superior (athletically and size wise) Glenville losing to Davidson in the state finals. Same for 2006 with Mentor.

Also, I don’t think you should travel the route of “Marysville , solid muscle blah, blah...AND wrestlers!” Have Marysville AD call Perry and schedule a dual.

I never “assumed” anyone was bad. You started telling us how good Marysville is and no one can compare to them and we are talking about Perry and Olentangy.

Now back to the Perry vs Olentangy game.
Going off the Kramerica post on Tangy; if Tangy struggles to throw the ball this year and are going to rely on the run game to beat Perry, I think it will be a long night for the Braves. Perry by 2 scores.

Appreciate the love from the yappsters who are saying Mr Kramerica doesn’t know Perry.

Let the record state that I don’t know most of these usernames as fellow Perry honks. Olentangy is a name we hear about often this late in the postseason and they’re here for a reason!

I know nothing about them, but I know the Perry program is not taking them lightly.

Kramer - who is Marysville playing this week?
Or are they all competing in the Arnold Classic in Columbus this weekend?

Kramer seems very knowledgeable about the teams from the C-bus area. I never take any team for granted in the playoffs or think they are inferior. Expecting a hard hitting, tough contest at Perry Stadium Friday night. Turnovers, special teams, penalties and both defenses will determine who wins.

I'm uncomfortable with Kramer's gushing about the physiques of HS boys.

I have no idea who will win. I do know Perry will show up strong, focused and prepared. I root for Wake and Perry because the zero tolerance for BS and gimmicks. You know who they are and what they will run. If you can stop them, so be it. Win or lose you'll feel it the next day.

I had Perry taking this one before venturing into this thread and reading Kramerica's info, assuming he is more cogent than Cosmo Kramer. I had also thought Dublin Scioto would give Perry a better game but didn't happen. I do know Soltis is a good coach, as is Wakefield, but to think they are better conditioned is pretty funny. I think Lemon will be the difference maker and Perry will shorten the game and will stick with his gameplan no matter what, but it will be close.

I think the speed at which Perry plays with upfront in this wing t system is something Olentangy will need to adjust too quickly. Olentangy has some good size defensive lineman who have been able to stop the run pretty well all year. This will be a big test again. However, I think that and it kills me to say this as a Stark County guy, outside of Massillon I think the county is down and isn't as good as some may think. I think Perry wins this one, by 2 scores, but... suburban Columbus is quickly becoming a hotbed for some of the best football big division football in the state along with the cincy area.

Also, I want to see Massillon and Perry next week in a game that will be interesting especially after all the bad blood there and the coaches seeding vote from Perry.

Prediction Perry 28 Olentangy 14

Kramer - who is Marysville playing this week?
Or are they all competing in the Arnold Classic in Columbus this weekend?

If Marysville played the Fed League garbage that Perry does to get a 1 seed and the tomato cans Perry has faced in the playoffs, they would still be alive too.

It's good to see some reasonable fans do exist at Perry. These teams are pretty evenly matched and it's going to be an interesting game.

FE2299C5-8FA1-4D44-B3EF-651324D483F6.png

What a meat-grinder of a schedule that is! Olentangy still playing after playing the juggernaut Marysville? I’m surprised they were still able to field a team! Them wrestlers from Marysville must’ve taken easy on them.

No one is saying that Olentangy will be a cake walk for Perry. No one is saying that Solis isn’t a very good coach. Tangy can win this game, of course they can. Based on things I’ve seen or read, I predict a 2 score win for Perry against Mary... errrr... Olentangy.