Old Town Road

Auggie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ho88VXJTBg

So this thing was pulled from the country charts because it didn't have enough elements according to the country music gate keepers, now it is #1 on the pop charts. Creating a lot of conversation in the music world with many country artists embracing it yet Nashville not so much so.

To me it is fringe country at best but then again he does drop in a reference to Wrangler jeans and I don't see too many hip artists rhyming about those.

I don't know what the deal is with country charts resisting this song. Jason Aldean and Sam Hunt both scored big country hits with Dirt Road Anthem and Take Your Time. These are clearly rap based songs. My daughter says country radio is playing it in regular rotation. Not sure why the powers that be chose to take a stance against this song.

^^^^

Because he didn't go thru them, the gatekeepers, the ones who tell the fans what they are to like.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Should have been allowed to chart to begin with. Now that incident has made this song 10X bigger. It's gonna be #1 well into the summer

Havent heard the song in question, but Country Music seems to be endorsing not country sounding music by giving Dan and Shay award after award a couple of weeks ago. URban won big and he has been going more pop by each song he releases.

The latest Kelsey Ballareni song is as pop as it gets, but the genre needs more female artists so they will continue to embrace.

The industry endorses these pop songs.

QUick note. At the country music HOF I was reading the accomplishments of some o fhte old time artists and it was funny to read about how many of them were criticized for getting away from the true country genre and this was in the 70s.

Garth Brooks is huge and when he hit the scene many said he was popular because he went way mainstream, which was true, but listen to him now compared to current country and he is as twang as can be!

Old Town Road breaks the Billboard Chart record for consecutive weeks at #1. Here is what this song blew by>

Weeks at No. 1, Title, Artist, Date Reached No. 1
17, "Old Town Road," Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus, April 13, 2019
16, "Despacito," Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber, May 27, 2017
16, "One Sweet Day," Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men, Dec. 2, 1995
14, "Uptown Funk!," Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars, Jan. 17, 2015
14, "I Gotta Feeling," The Black Eyed Peas, July 11, 2009
14, "We Belong Together," Mariah Carey, June 4, 2005
14, "Candle in the Wind 1997"/"Something About the Way You Look Tonight," Elton John, Oct. 11, 1997
14, "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)," Los Del Rio, Aug. 3, 1996
14, "I'll Make Love to You," Boyz II Men, Aug. 27, 1994
14, "I Will Always Love You," Whitney Houston, Nov. 28, 1992

Much to the chagrin of Taylor Swift he has held off 2 of her early releases from her heavily promoted upcoming album.

Heard it for the first time not long ago.

Pretty good song, but does not belong on country stations

Billy Ray, and Keith Urban joined Lil Nas X on the stage at Country Fest in Nashville this past weekend and it was part of the Country Fest TV show Sunday night. A side note, my son moved to LA area a year ago and earlier this summer he met Lil Nas X and he said Lil Nas was a really nice guy. He said he seemed genuinely appreciative of the fans listening to the song no matter what music genre they preferred he was excited that his song was being accepted so well.

Billy Ray, and Keith Urban joined Lil Nas X on the stage at Country Fest in Nashville this past weekend and it was part of the Country Fest TV show Sunday night. A side note, my son moved to LA area a year ago and earlier this summer he met Lil Nas X and he said Lil Nas was a really nice guy. He said he seemed genuinely appreciative of the fans listening to the song no matter what music genre they preferred he was excited that his song was being accepted so well.
Watched it too.
Country Music puts on the best celebrations and award shows like this. I would like someone to remix that song and make it actually country, I think it would still be a big hit on the country channels. As it is though, no it shouldn't be on country music stations

18 weeks going and still #1 on the Billboard Hot 100: https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

I pray to God it keeps #2 Billie Eilish's Bad Guy from #1. The last thing we need is a brooding teen with a sound box in her bedroom telling the world about how rough her Hollywood life is>

Watched it too.
Country Music puts on the best celebrations and award shows like this. I would like someone to remix that song and make it actually country, I think it would still be a big hit on the country channels. As it is though, no it shouldn't be on country music stations
Ah lighten up, today's country really isn't country any way. :LOL: I listen to Willie's Roadhouse and other stations like that on Sirius when I want to hear real country. I've been getting B105 Country Megatickets for several years now and it seems like every year the music moves further and further away from it's original country roots and goes more toward rock and roll. Its all good, and fun party atmosphere but you have to really look around today to find real country.

Ah lighten up, today's country really isn't country any way. :LOL: I listen to Willie's Roadhouse and other stations like that on Sirius when I want to hear real country. I've been getting B105 Country Megatickets for several years now and it seems like every year the music moves further and further away from it's original country roots and goes more toward rock and roll. Its all good, and fun party atmosphere but you have to really look around today to find real country.
True, but that is just tooo far off the reservation. I like the song, but man if you let that on it just opens the flood gates.

Know what is funny, I went to the Country music HOF a couple of yaers ago and there were write-ups on some of them from the 60s and 70s that stated they were deemed controversial because the music was straying away from its roots!

I was around for the Garth Brooks and Shania Twain era and they were seen by many as not real country, but if you listen to them now compared wto what is on the radio they seem country AF.

True, but that is just tooo far off the reservation. I like the song, but man if you let that on it just opens the flood gates.

Know what is funny, I went to the Country music HOF a couple of yaers ago and there were write-ups on some of them from the 60s and 70s that stated they were deemed controversial because the music was straying away from its roots!

I was around for the Garth Brooks and Shania Twain era and they were seen by many as not real country, but if you listen to them now compared wto what is on the radio they seem country AF.
Haha good point about Brooks and Twain and I remember the concerns as well. I guess it's Garth and Shania's fault we have what we have today. :LOL:

Haha good point about Brooks and Twain and I remember the concerns as well. I guess it's Garth and Shania's fault we have what we have today. :LOL:
Nah. while a the CM HOF a couple of years ago on some of the write ups from the 60s, 70s and such there were the same complaints of artists we now believe were to be country through and through