Old Dominion Cuts Program

Wow, add one( Rio Grande), cut two( Old Dominion and probably another one).
It's going to be more. Look at programs with a football team and more than 6 men's sports- they are on the chopping block. Coronavirus is causing universities to reevaluate their spending and their athletics, and wrestling will be the first to go most places. Places like Davidson, Bloomsburg, Binghamton, and more are on the bottom right now.

negatives for wrestling from the standpoint of why schools may choose to eliminate the sport:
-male sport with (relatively) large roster, compared to golf & tennis type of sports, which makes it a target when considering gender equity
-at the low major level, some/many aren't in the same conference as the rest of their sports
-not sure how the travel budget is for wrestling as that may depend on the individual school

The other bylaw in play is that there is a sport count requirement that combines male and female, in addition to the male minimum.

Really bad news..I agree I think there might be a few more if the times keep going the way they currently are.

Very Sad:cry:

It's going to be more. Look at programs with a football team and more than 6 men's sports- they are on the chopping block. Coronavirus is causing universities to reevaluate their spending and their athletics, and wrestling will be the first to go most places. Places like Davidson, Bloomsburg, Binghamton, and more are on the bottom right now.

I have a senior who is signed with Davidson. Spoke with their coach, not recently, who said their saving grace is that football is non-scholarship. Davidson also has a ton of $$$$$. The Belk family is keeping that place alive trust me.

Hate to see this of course, but also hate that Covid-19 is being named as a deciding factor. Obviously we won't know the impact that the virus will have on college budgets in general down the line, but to use Corona is a deciding factor in this decision sees bogus as I suspect this has been in the works internally for quite some time. The writing was on the wall since ODU football went into C-USA. Sucks to see that football is king even for a program with a 1-11 record, last in their conference, expensive new stadium with declining attendance.

Last edited:
I have a senior who is signed with Davidson. Spoke with their coach, not recently, who said their saving grace is that football is non-scholarship. Davidson also has a ton of $$$$$. The Belk family is keeping that place alive trust me.
Good to know- point was more that wrestling is an easy cut for schools. No female equivalent and non revenue, I dont think this will be the last school this year to make this decision.

They were already Title IX compliant, even with the added sports. This is more because of the administation's mismanagement (see Eastern Michigan and Boise State) and I believe a vendetta against the program stemming from the lawsuit a few years back. Blaming it on the pandamic is their way out and really pathetic.

these programs need to instill endowment funds or else wrestling is just gonna keep getting dropped. Obviously easier said then done well off alumni usually start it.