Old Crew Stadium

hammer89

Heard from a reliable, but unverified, source that old crew stadium will be the future host for Lacrosse and Field Hockey state finals games, and will begin putting in to host regional final and state semi-final football games, with an eye towards bidding for the state finals depending on how the regionals/semis go for them.

Heard from a reliable, but unverified, source that old crew stadium will be the future host for Lacrosse and Field Hockey state finals games, and will begin putting in to host regional final and state semi-final football games, with an eye towards bidding for the state finals depending on how the regionals/semis go for them.
Centrally located.

Lots of parking.

Lots of good choices to stay overnight and/or eat.

36 miles closer to home.

I like it.

I hope they can figure out a way to have the championship games at an adequate stadium in Columbus. I love Benson and the Hall of Fame, but it's just too far northeast for all state championship games to be there, especially at the lower divisions.

Are they going to install field turf? If so I am all for this. If they are going to hold all these events on real grass then eventually there will be a year where it rains on most weekends and by the final games the playing surface will basically be a mud pit. While it looks cool it is not an ideal way to decide a champ.

Are they going to install field turf? If so I am all for this. If they are going to hold all these events on real grass then eventually there will be a year where it rains on most weekends and by the final games the playing surface will basically be a mud pit. While it looks cool it is not an ideal way to decide a champ.
The OHSAA will not put the finals on grass.

Yes, turf is (or maybe already has?) being installed.

After so many Turf injuries this year NFL Players are calling for future SB to be played on Grass.
The difference is the resources that NFL clubs can put into having grass fields, and even then you still get crappy fields like Washington and Pittsburgh. That is not an option at the High School level.

After so many Turf injuries this year NFL Players are calling for future SB to be played on Grass.
While I personally dislike working on artificial fields, there's not enough data available yet to positively connect turf to injuries.

That said, 7 games in 2 1/2 days on a rainy weekend on grass is not what the coaches, players, fans (will be the first to scream), or the OHSAA wants.

Last edited:
IIve
The difference is the resources that NFL clubs can put into having grass fields, and even then you still get crappy fields like Washington and Pittsburgh. That is not an option at the High School level.
Ive been on a couple NFL grass fields and yeah...they are freaking amazing. Even right up on it ya wonder if it's turf because it's so well manicured....like a damned putters green.

Go for it.
I will day this. Construction around Benson Stadium is going strong.Once they get parking all completed and the second coming of Disney World and everything else completed it's going to be tough to beat out on bids if the only reason to move it is milage.

Oh, it's being compiled, but there's not enough of it to make a case one way or the other........ for now.
By whom? What injuries?

I have contacted numerous people/places doing studies regarding concussions asking them to take a look at turf and concussions and was told there was no interest.

I am glad to hear there is finally someone looking into turf. I really think years down the road we will all be going back to grass.

There have been some studies about the supposed dangers of artificial turf over the years and they're almost always paid for by sod grower trade groups. ?

IIve

Ive been on a couple NFL grass fields and yeah...they are freaking amazing. Even right up on it ya wonder if it's turf because it's so well manicured....like a damned putters green.
Clearly never been on Heinz Field in November. Painted dirt and the fake grass mesh is all that's left by then. Even Browns Stadium grass is gone by the end of the season.

Now down south I've even seen hs grass fields that would make you question whether they're fake by how pristine they look. But the soil and near year round growth and maintenance helps tremendously.

Example:
Georgia

Browns Stadium mid-season

Heinz Field late November.

Last edited:
When it comes to field turf most of the studies I have seen are inconclusive if it does measurable damage to the knees or ankles over grass. What was originally thought to be an issue with these surfaces is the amount of staff infections that occur when the base material gets into an open wound. Studies found out this was not the case and most of the cases that were thought to be from the surface were actually from the locker rooms.

I've been lobbying for years that the old Crew Stadium be used for football. I've been a part of three different teams that have played games there and it's a great facility.

Turf has been installed.

Clearly never been on Heinz Field in November. Painted dirt and the fake grass mesh is all that's left by then. Even Browns Stadium grass is gone by the end of the season.

Now down south I've even seen hs grass fields that would make you question whether they're fake by how pristine they look. But the soil and near year round growth and maintenance helps tremendously.

Example:
Georgia

At Heinz when i was on it a couple of times it was in the summer

Example:
Georgia

Heinz it was in the summer and early in the season the times I was on it. Back in the day, they tried a new, innovative system by DDGrassmaster where they sewed in the fake stuff into the real turf to give the best of both worlds.

Obviously, with Steelers, Pitt, and HS it was not up to the task made famous by that MNF, or SNF, vs the Dolphins when a punt landed and stuck into the ground!

Was on Cleveland and Tennessee's for pre game festivities and yeah, they were damned good.