OHSAA XC Preseason Meet

madman

I had heard a rumour that the OHSAA XC Preseason Meet might become a night meet. Does anyone know if that's more than idle chatter?

Well night races are becoming ever increasing popular the last few years can see them wanting to do that. But the fact they run races over 4 hours and it doesn't get dark until about 9:00 that time of year it doesn't seem possible.

I've thought the same thing, but Centerville used to have races start as early as 5:00 pm with the Championship races in the dark. This past year DI races moved from the middle of the afternoon to 9:00 am which meant staying overnight the night before or leaving at 4:30 in the morning. I've only been to the meet twice. It's certainly not a required part of the season, but I would like to know as soon as possible if it might mean another overnight trip.

I guess that means I need to know if they are going to move the schedule each year, also.

I've thought the same thing, but Centerville used to have races start as early as 5:00 pm with the Championship races in the dark. This past year DI races moved from the middle of the afternoon to 9:00 am which meant staying overnight the night before or leaving at 4:30 in the morning. I've only been to the meet twice. It's certainly not a required part of the season, but I would like to know as soon as possible if it might mean another overnight trip.

I guess that means I need to know if they are going to move the schedule each year, also.
Are you referring to the OHSAA Pre-season meet? The D1 races have been first thing in the morning for years now. The last few iterations have the girls D1 varsity race (first race) at 10:00 and before that they were at 9:00.

hmmm. I hadn't been to the meet since it's first year. I don't know why I had the impression that the DI races were mid-afternoon. I remember hearing about the heat during the 2021 races and may have assumed they were mid-afternoon, or I'm just getting old.

Anyway - any word on the possibility of them moving it to the evening next fall?

I haven't heard anything about it being a night meet, but I wouldn't necessarily be in the know anyways. Mike Chatfield could probably shed some light on it if he so chooses.

It is being discussed but nothing confirmed yet. Most of the areas are covered by light from stadium. Might have to be a 2 day event to have all the races be under the lights

If they can make more money..... the OH$AA will do it. They have to pay for the 184 officials at the State XC and Track meets.

Last edited:
If they can make more money..... the OH$AA will do it. They have to pay for the 184 officials at the State XC and Track meet
I encourage you to become an official. We have seen a 20% decline over the past 10 years just on track and cross country.
44DDC496-F6A9-45A8-ABFC-23960B6451CD.jpeg