OHSAA Working On Reopening Of Sports

Lieutenant Governor just announced may 26th contact sports can begin training. Includes weightlifting and agility training

20200521_152617.jpg

NFHS, SON. If these are the guidelines, which is possible, would be incredible, everything is back, quickly.

h

How is this going to be chaotic? A good administration will have a good plan, a bad one won't. Its really not rocket science.
a smart administration would stager times and day that players lift. but that’s a LOT of time for the coaching staff.

There are still about 90 days or so before school would start, with the way things have been opened back up, I will be shocked if schools aren’t in session 5 days a week. It will take a huge surge in cases over the next few months for it not to happen. I also believe football will be played with fans in the stands, there might be a limit for the first few weeks but I bet by weeks 5-10 it will be all systems go.

a smart administration would stager times and day that players lift. but that’s a LOT of time for the coaching staff.
So it is a lot if time for the staff? Most staffs are made up of teachers and they are there all day long when camp starts anyway. Like I said, the good ones will be there.

So it is a lot if time for the staff? Most staffs are made up of teachers and they are there all day long when camp starts anyway. Like I said, the good ones will be there.
if you do it right you can make it work but i would say probably 50% of the coaches i know are teachers. other half have normal jobs. if you stagger then coaches, that could work.

But then you add every other sport into the equation and what happens to weight room time? Understand if a football team has their own weight room it won't be a problem. Unfortunately most do not. And all athletes must be given the same access.

But then you add every other sport into the equation and what happens to weight room time? Understand if a football team has their own weight room it won't be a problem. Unfortunately most do not. And all athletes must be given the same access.
Just like every other year. Time management just becomes more important, that's all. You are really looking for excuses now and I'm not sure why. The sports in the fall in Ohio are , Golf, Tennis, Cross Country, Soccer, Volleyball and Football. Golf and Tennis weightroom time is little to none, same with cross country. Some soccer teams use it(any good programs should) and Volleyball definitely should but a lot don't. Splitting time shouldn't be that hard. Other than football, the other teams aren't in the weightroom more than twice a week.

Last edited:
There are still about 90 days or so before school would start, with the way things have been opened back up, I will be shocked if schools aren’t in session 5 days a week. It will take a huge surge in cases over the next few months for it not to happen. I also believe football will be played with fans in the stands, there might be a limit for the first few weeks but I bet by weeks 5-10 it will be all systems go.

It's funny, two weeks ago I would say 0% chance. I think at this point we will have the stands packed come late August. What will that mean overall? Personally, I think a possible disaster.

Just like every other year. Time management just becomes more important, that's all. You are really looking for excuses now and I'm not sure why. The sports in the fall in Ohio are , Golf, Tennis, Cross Country, Soccer, Volleyball and Football. Golf and Tennis weightroom time is little to none, same with cross country. Some soccer teams use it(any good programs should) and Volleyball definitely should but a lot don't. Splitting time shouldn't be that hard. Other than football, the other teams aren't in the weightroom more than twice a week.

But realistically you're looking at 5-10 people sessions. And Cross Country and Golf most definitely use the rooms nowadays. Ever since the really good athletes in those sports starting posting their workouts and coaching modernized...it's not just go run 5 miles and I'll meet you back here.

It's funny, two weeks ago I would say 0% chance. I think at this point we will have the stands packed come late August. What will that mean overall? Personally, I think a possible disaster.
A disaster in what way ? If over the next 100 days the cases don’t explode there isn’t any factual info out there that says it will explode in the fall or ever again. It’s all just a “maybe or a possibility”.

A disaster in what way ? If over the next 100 days the cases don’t explode there isn’t any factual info out there that says it will explode in the fall or ever again. It’s all just a “maybe or a possibility”.
Because we should just keep everything shut down so we can get ready for the second, third, and fourth waves. Lol

I don't disagree that it will take planning but winter and spring sports are going to want to use the weight rooms also.

I don't disagree that it will take planning but winter and spring sports are going to want to use the weight rooms also.
Winter and spring will probably be on the back burner for now for the most part, at least until this gets sorted out more. Priority will go to the sport that has to get ready the soonest I'm sure.

Just keep in mind that even teachers who are coaches are only getting a stipend to coach. A HC stipend may be anywhere from 4-10,000, but an assistant may only get 2-5,000. If you are expecting them to be there every day in June and July, you should be paying them for that. Coaches usually only get like 25-50 cents an hour they put in anyway. Hard to ask them to do more. They are already burning the candle at both ends. And for those who aren't teachers, they may need the regular income that they normally give up to coach. A lot of complications from this.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that even teachers who are coaches are only getting a stipend to coach. A HC stipend may be anywhere from 4-10,000, but an assistant may only get 2-5,000. If you are expecting them to be there every day in June and July, you should be paying them for that. Coaches usually only get like 25-50 cents an hour they put in anyway. Hard to ask them to do more. They are already burning the candle at both ends. And for those who aren't teachers, they may need the regular income that they normally give up to coach. A lot of complications from this.
Most of them are there in some capacity in June or July in normal times. At least the programs I've been around thay have been. They may be staggered wher a few coaches would be on vacation at a time but someone is always there.

I just received tweets from two high schools announcing their summer softball schedule (all in the month of June).

Do schools have a summer softball period? Or is this just making up for lost games in the spring?