OHSAA Winter Recommendations

shaggy71

Winter Sports Requirements, Recommendations and Modifications
As occurred for fall sports, the OHSAA staff has developed sport-specific requirements, recommendations and modifications for schools when conducting interscholastic competition in winter sports. Links to the sport-specific requirements, recommendations and modifications for winter sports are available here:
Basketball: http://bit.ly/BKRecs
Bowling: to come
Gymnastics: http://bit.ly/GYMRecs
Ice Hockey: http://bit.ly/IHRecs
Swimming & Diving: http://bit.ly/SDRecs
Wrestling: http://bit.ly/WRRecs

So far there is nothing revelatory in that stuff. However, what we are all waiting on is the predicted guidance in terms of maximum number of contestants and/or teams in a multi-team event (i.e. not dual meet), along with the other stuff that's been talked about.

My opinion is the most important thing is having an individual post-season. The absence of that structure would cause significant reduction in participation from higher end ability athletes (i.e. they would compete in a club type season).

In the email from the Ohsaa that included this report, they stated,

"There are no restrictions on types of events or total numbers of participants in events this season. "
But.....thats from OHSAA ...Dimwitted Dewine has to approve it....God help us all

If I am reading this correctly, there could be a change to weigh ins, but as for everything else it is a wrestle at your own risk.

I believe that each school (AD’s, admin, coaches, etc) will be left with the job of figuring out what the maximum number of people should be in their gym.
Figure out how many people can fit while still following these rules.

In the email from the Ohsaa that included this report, they stated,

"There are no restrictions on types of events or total numbers of participants in events this season. "

Yep, the big thing is that indoor venues are limited to 300 spectators or 15% of the spectator capacity, whichever is lesser.

So, if that is 2 per competitor, you could have a max of 150 competitors or a 10/11 team event.

Yep, the big thing is that indoor venues are limited to 300 spectators or 15% of the spectator capacity, whichever is lesser.

So, if that is 2 per competitor, you could have a max of 150 competitors or a 10/11 team event.

There are a lot of regular season tournaments that sit around that 130-150 mark already, so it really shouldn't be that big of an adjustment. There might be a few fringe teams that get cut out this year and have to go elsewhere. Or the negative is accepting less extras/jv to fill brackets and put a hard cap at 8-10 wrestlers per bracket.

Last edited:
But.....thats from OHSAA ...Dimwitted Dewine has to approve it....God help us all
The release of winter sports recommendations has already been signed off by ODH and the Governors office. There are no restrictions in regards to competitions, but there are currently restrictions on gym capacities etc. so yeah there are going to have be adjustments. Bigger tournaments may not have spectators. Or maybe run sessions with only a few weight classes. But this info from OHSAA is what we’ve been waiting for it’s up to the individual schools to determine whether or not they’ll host events

The release of winter sports recommendations has already been signed off by ODH and the Governors office. There are no restrictions in regards to competitions, but there are currently restrictions on gym capacities etc. so yeah there are going to have be adjustments. Bigger tournaments may not have spectators. Or maybe run sessions with only a few weight classes. But this info from OHSAA is what we’ve been waiting for it’s up to the individual schools to determine whether or not they’ll host events

Where did you get this info? I hope you're correct but this is the first I've heard of it. And word usually travels quickly in the wrestling community.

Where did you get this info? I hope you're correct but this is the first I've heard of it. And word usually travels quickly in the wrestling community.

Probably OHSAA Site or Ohio Department of Heath, Virus Return to Sports section. It’s legit though because was sent to Winter Sports Officials yesterday

Speaking with my AD yesterday, he met with our county health commissioner and other county ADs about winter sports. All he could tell me is it was "doom and gloom"...not very reassuring.

Apparently they didn't get the memo!

That DeWine hasn't given the OK and that's the only one that matters? I want wrestling just as much as the next person but I'm realistic that setting Daily Records four days in a row does not bode well.

As of right now, given how this past week has been in terms of number of infections, if things don't get drastically better there will be major changes or no season at all.
i agree. a lot of people are talking about duals with 8 teams, etc. if these numbers stay up then i don't see that many people in a gym. my guess is nothing bigger than a quad. if a season occurs at all then everyone should just be grateful for anything. also, i wonder how an individual state tournament would work.....thats a lot of people in columbus.

If you read the memo it says it was drafted in conjunction with ODH, who is ultimately green lighting our sports season. I had the opportunity to sit through a superintendent and AD zoom call about this release of information, they aren’t very much worried about wrestling, basketball however, they are concerned with.

If you read the memo it says it was drafted in conjunction with ODH, who is ultimately green lighting our sports season. I had the opportunity to sit through a superintendent and AD zoom call about this release of information, they aren’t very much worried about wrestling, basketball however, they are concerned with.
Not wrestling but basketball??

Sounds like my son's conference may disregard suggestions made by coaches and make it conference-only competition. That will make for a fun season with an 8 team conference.

Doesn't the local health dept have to sign off on all tournaments... Example of tournament was held in lucas county the lucas county health dept would have to approve it even if the governor signs off on it?