OHSAA ups daily quarter limit to 6

FFMbuck

Players will now be allowed to play up to 6 quarters per day. I'm mixed about this one. Will help develop some kids by giving them an extra quarter each night. But may hurt the development of others who will lose playing time because of it.

I think this is a bad sign but hopefully it is more about girls basketball than boys basketball.

The only reason I could see making this change would be to make sure that each level has enough participants to play a whole game. I know it has been a problem in girls basketball playing some JV games. Hopefully this hasn't really been an issue at any schools for boys basketball.

I think this is a good rule, especially for girls basketball. Hopefully coaches will use is properly and not abuse it too much. The issue is many JV games are going to 2 quarters or cancelled altogether because of lack on numbers. With the additional quarter, you could play a full varsity and JV games with as few as 8 players. Now that takes into account everyone plays full quarters with no breaks and no one fouls out or gets hurt. Varsity players would have to play 1-2 quarters of the jv games. My guess is this probably still wouldn't happen, but it at least opens up the possibility.
The issue has become that some of these programs that struggle to get more than 10-12 out for basketball has limited or no JV games, and that's a program killer. Those freshmen/ sophomores who aren't varsity level players never play and subsequently stop coming out. You need some kind of JV or reserve program to get kids playing time.

Players will now be allowed to play up to 6 quarters per day. I'm mixed about this one. Will help develop some kids by giving them an extra quarter each night. But may hurt the development of others who will lose playing time because of it.
Should be 132. 6 x 22 = ?

Should be 132. 6 x 22 = ?
I understand the math, but I disagree that it should be 132.

Using a kid six quarters in one night should not be normal practice.

However, having the ability provides nice flexibility for head coaches. How many times have we seen a kid sit quarters on JV and then not end up getting used in the varsity game?

The classic 3 quarters JV/2 quarters varsity kid that sometimes ends up playing 3 quarters of JV and none on varsity can now at least get a full game in on JV while staying available for the varsity game in case of foul trouble or other extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:
As someone who has followed what is likely the smallest school conference in Ohio, I think this is definitely a good thing for them. Even for the boys, every year there are a few teams who can't have JV games or can only play half of a JV game. This will undoubtedly give the younger guys more time to develop at JV instead of just watching games on the bench for Varsity.

Great point by Raider too!

Last edited:
This is a good change that should benefit a lot of programs that struggle with numbers as well as the JV kids that have "if needed" quarters saved for varsity.

I was surprised to find out that here, in Illinois, they can play unlimited quarters. There was a really good sophomore for a school our local team played. He played in all 8 quarters one night (JV & Varsity). And not just a minute, or two, but pretty much 1/2 the quarter or more in each.