OHSAA To Vote On Age Rule

Top_Game

ohsaa looking to vote on age. If vote passes. New age limit will be 19 across the board for all sports. If 19 before the start of the season you will be ineligible. So if ur 19 and the only sport you do is track. Say the official track season is April 1 you turn 19 March 30th. He would be considered ineligible and not allowed to participate.

So if it passes anyone 19 before November 15 would be in eligible for the Wrestling Season. This will not take affect if passed for 2-years.

I have a feeling this will pass. ohsaa not wanting kids held back for advantage in sports..

Last edited:

I hope it passes, and I wish Ohio would open-up High School sports to 8th graders. That way, kids who are held back in grade school or middle school would have a chance to get in 4 years of eligibility. Still not sure why Ohio just can't seem to get this right. Well, it would be step in the right direction if this vote passes.

Current rule says that participation must cease on the day the student athlete turns 20, correct?

I find it interesting that they are going to approve and want to enforce an age restriction that includes all the various sport's season starting dates.

So I have a son who will turn 19 in march of his senior year. He repeated kindergarten due to an adjustment disorder and we wanted him to have a better foundation going in to 1st grade. He is currently in 6th grade and is a good student. I guess if this rule passes he will not be able to play baseball his senior year of high school. He’s not very good at it, but I guess the pencil necks that make the decisions will see him as a hold back so he can get drafted by the Yankees…

Last edited:
Just to clarify if the athlete turns 19, on say January 13, he would be able to complete his senior season?

So I have a son who will turn 19 in march of his senior year. He repeated kindergarten due to an adjustment disorder and we wanted him to have a better foundation going in to 1st grade. He is currently in 6th grade and is a good student. I guess if this rule passes he will not be able to play baseball his senior year of high school. He’s not very good at it, but I guess the pencil necks that make the decisions will see him as a hold back so he can get drafted by the Yankees…
I am sure that they will have exceptions to the rule my son has Autism he is still pretty non verbal so he's done preschool twice and will do it next year so he'll turn 19 in his senior year.

I interpret that different. I think the change involves meeting the age in the middle of a season. Currently you are ineligible the day you turn 20. I like the change that you could complete your season if you turned during the season.

ohsaa looking to vote on age. If vote passes. New age limit will be 19 across the board for all sports. If 19 before the start of the season you will be ineligible. So if ur 19 and the only sport you do is track. Say the official track season is April 1 you turn 19 March 30th. He would be considered ineligible and not allowed to participate.

So if it passes anyone 19 before November 15 would be in eligible for the Wrestling Season. This will not take affect if passed for 2-years.

I have a feeling this will pass. ohsaa not wanting kids held back for advantage in sports..
What's your source? Bar rumours?

Original rule forever was 19 before the start of senior year. They used Sept1 as the date. They just changed it to 20 about 4 years ago , I will say they aren’t going back to a more harsh rule that quickly. Especially with Covid and all the other things people will claim affected learning. So if you were started in the correct grade and you were held back one time you would be ineligible?? Not happening, OHSAA is about money, bottom line. I’m guessing a bad source of info here.

Last edited:

HOW can they implicate this when it impacts there are Kids already in schools whos parents made plans based on current rules. IF a family held their Pre K student based plaining on current rules that's not right!! a 5 year old in PRE K Should not have to live and build up knowing that their senior year they will be out of a season. OHSAA is Dead wrong for this. They want to change rules and playoffs and everything else when it helps them but when they want to make changes they dont care about other people. HENCE why OAC should buy out OHSAA.

we held my son back and although we knew it would help him athletically it was a must academically. If he has to sit his sr. year it would be unfortunate. Moving him up a grade is not an option and if he doesnt get to play sports his senior year I would hope he would have an option to start in 8th grade. Switching grades back up one is a zero option for him

we held my son back and although we knew it would help him athletically it was a must academically. If he has to sit his sr. year it would be unfortunate. Moving him up a grade is not an option and if he doesnt get to play sports his senior year I would hope he would have an option to start in 8th grade. Switching grades back up one is a zero option for him
I don't know if this has been verified as something that's actually being voted on.

But if it were to pass, I can't see how this wouldn't be the only acceptable option.

HOW can they implicate this when it impacts there are Kids already in schools whos parents made plans based on current rules. IF a family held their Pre K student based plaining on current rules that's not right!! a 5 year old in PRE K Should not have to live and build up knowing that their senior year they will be out of a season. OHSAA is Dead wrong for this. They want to change rules and playoffs and everything else when it helps them but when they want to make changes they dont care about other people. HENCE why OAC should buy out OHSAA.
If you held your PRE K kid back “based on current rules” so he would be better at wrestling, you sir, are a moron.

Exactly why I hate this supposedly proposed rule. If anything, go back to the old rule. 19 before August or September of your senior year = inelligible

If this is true then I think they can start wrestling in HS as an 8th grader so they can still get the 4 years of varsity sports in. It would just make their Jr. year their 4th year participating in HS sports. Mason did this for a kid about 15-20 years ago. They found out that a kid would be ineligible his Senior year based on age so he got moved up from 8th grade wrestling to wrestle with the HS once they found out he would be too old to compete as a Senior.

Original rule forever was 19 before the start of senior year. They used Sept1 as the date. They just changed it to 20 about 4 years ago , I will say they aren’t going back to a more harsh rule that quickly. Especially with Covid and all the other things people will claim affected learning. So if you were started in the correct grade and you were held back one time you would be ineligible?? Not happening, OHSAA is about money, bottom line. I’m guessing a bad source of info here.
The bad source is the Columbus dispatch paper. Confirmed by many athletic directors. It got sent to all athletic directors in the fall and voted on by them. Now the Ohsaa board will vote in the summer over this before division changes for all high schools. I’m sure there is going to be things exempt.

Exactly why I hate this supposedly proposed rule. If anything, go back to the old rule. 19 before August or September of your senior year = inelligible
This sounds like that but instead of the school year they are giving a little extra time it sounds like by pushing it back till the start of each season.

This rule needs to be voted in. No reason a man that is almost 20 (within days/weeks) should be competing against 14 year old freshmen.

There was nothing wrong with the old rule, turn 19 before the school year starts and you are ineligible to play sports.

It allows for a late start or a hold back, but not both or 2 hold backs.

Talked to a NE board member he is unaware of this. He said he can’t see it going back to anything other then what it was before if they were going to change it. If they changed it to 19 before that season you couldn’t play a sport if u were a 1x hold back. A 14 year old freshmen should be turning 15 during the school year, so he’s only 14 for a short time or he or she is super young for the class. Normal age you should be during school year is 15 frosh 16 Soph 17 jun 18 sen, that’s if you started on time.