OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday (Noon)

That is completely incorrect Ringer2.

As far as the time, well...I don't know, take a look at the East Asian countries timelines, about a month in, things really shut down. It will here as well.

According to sources many schools are confident from a proposal that brings students back the second week of May, and extends the school year until the end of June. In addition, I heard specifically about over Memorial Day Weekend, Winter Sports finishing, and over the course of late May and beginning of June, Spring Sports return in the fashion of:

Baseball\Softball\Lacrosse\Volleyball: 9 Game Season, split into regions much like football with groups of around 10 competing against one another based off geography and classification. Top 2 in each classification go into an 8 team playoff that is played first week of July.

Track: One practice meet; followed by district\regionals\state over the course of four weeks in June
I'll be stunned if any of this happens.

This flu season from October to March 14 there's been 38m to 59m with the flu. And between 23k and 59k deaths. That's between 0.04% and 0.155%.

Right now even if the death rate is 0.155%, which is exceedingly low, the biggest issue more Covid19 cases require icu/ccu beds and ventilators while many flu patients need fluids and fever monitored and controlled. The breathing problems are the major issue. And Covid19 cases that require hospitalization are over twice as long as flu cases that require hospitalization.

First death in the US wasn't even four weeks ago. We're now up to over 1,000. We have almost 70k confirmed cases and yet only 428 are listed as recovered.

Up to 14 days for symptoms and up to 11 days on average in the hospital.... It's only 26 days after the first person died in the US from this. And based on estimates, we're just now past the first wave of patients (25 days max) for them to be dying or cured. And all those new patients showing symptoms now before stay at home orders went out.

The world isn't shutting down because it's hysteria. This is like your car breaking down at a railroad crossing and thinking you're fine because you don't see a train. You might be. Right now. But if the folks who should know tell you a train is coming in 10 minutes, you'd be best to listen to them instead of your Facebook friends telling you he doesn't see a train.
The vast majority of cases don't require hospitalization and cases are mild...or even asymptomatic. It's serious for some for sure. Most it's a mild bug. We will be ok.

I have not heard about one single school district expecting to return this year, let alone a specific plan for mid-May. The legislators approved a bill yesterday that included a lot of school-related items, including giving districts the flexibility to determine if students were "on pace" to graduate then to grant them a diploma. This clearly indicates that schools will not to return this year.

I have not heard about one single school district expecting to return this year, let alone a specific plan for mid-May. The legislators approved a bill yesterday that included a lot of school-related items, including giving districts the flexibility to determine if students were "on pace" to graduate then to grant them a diploma. This clearly indicates that schools will not to return this year.
The weeks to possibly kill you is a long time. And you're infectious for a while. From what I read the lung issues are what puts you in the hospital, but it actually kills you with your heart.

Study just don't on early patients in China was almost 1 in 5 hospitalized had some cardiac injury. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/health/cardiac-injury-coronavirus-study/index.html

That's the problem. So people with underlying heart problems might be more at risk of death. And an older heart alone may be the culprit. Maybe it's just too much strain on the heart. Who knows.

But I haven't seen too many reports of people getting symptoms and with hospitalization and treatment still dying immediately. They just don't respond to treatment and falter over time.

The ones that die quickly were ones who waited longer to get to the hospital when symptoms got seriously dire.

Any word on when next OHSAA briefing is. Time to stop dragging programs along with hope.
Snodgrass teleconferenced with some media yesterday. There's a link to it in the "Will There Be a Season?" thread in the baseball forum.

Basically, nothing has changed. It doesn't appear anything new will come from the OHSAA until an official order is given to extend the closure of schools.

The link to the teleconference:
https://www.wkbn.com/sports/ohsaa-commissioner-updates-the-fate-of-winter-and-spring-sports/

Last edited:
Snodgrass teleconferenced with some media yesterday. There's a link to it in the "Will There Be a Season?" thread in the baseball forum.

Basically, nothing has changed. It doesn't appear anything new will come from the OHSAA until an official order is given to extend the closure of schools.

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/ohsaa-commissioner-updates-the-fate-of-winter-and-spring-sports/
I like Jerry Snodgrass. I think he is by all accounts a very good man, a smart leader and someone who has not only the right brains and heart to be the Commissioner of the OHSAA but also the soul. I think in some ways he's been remarkable in the way he goes about his role.

That said, something has got to give. I know he has some really hard decisions to make, and heavy indeed is the head that wears the crown. Still, I think this can be handled better. Either make a call for the schools to put together a vote to either immediately kill the spring sports season (or prolong the at-current purgatory) if the OHSAA constitution allows, or just make the decision now. I'm hearing of several baseball programs still doing "captain's practice" because there is still the scintilla of possibility there could be a season. And as much as I hate to say it, two weeks now of kids and sportswriters sob-storying up his Twitter timeline about no sports is screwing up people's attitudes on the matter, and the OHSAA is just kicking the damn can down the road as if it solves anything now.

Press release today at 1 that all winter sports are cancelled.

I like Jerry Snodgrass. I think he is by all accounts a very good man, a smart leader and someone who has not only the right brains and heart to be the Commissioner of the OHSAA but also the soul. I think in some ways he's been remarkable in the way he goes about his role.

That said, something has got to give. I know he has some really hard decisions to make, and heavy indeed is the head that wears the crown. Still, I think this can be handled better. Either make a call for the schools to put together a vote to either immediately kill the spring sports season (or prolong the at-current purgatory) if the OHSAA constitution allows, or just make the decision now. I'm hearing of several baseball programs still doing "captain's practice" because there is still the scintilla of possibility there could be a season. And as much as I hate to say it, two weeks now of kids and sportswriters sob-storying up his Twitter timeline about no sports is screwing up people's attitudes on the matter, and the OHSAA is just kicking the damn can down the road as if it solves anything now.
Not yet.

Next week the governor will either announce we are going back to school, in which case sports can continue, or schools will remain closed, in which case spring sports can be cancelled.

No reason to cancel spring sports right now.

Not yet.

Next week the governor will either announce we are going back to school, in which case sports can continue, or schools will remain closed, in which case spring sports can be cancelled.

No reason to cancel spring sports right now.
Pipe dream. It’s all done they just haven’t said. It’s not even close to what’s coming. If you going to worry about sports being canceled, you need to start worrying about football.

Pipe dream. It’s all done they just haven’t said. It’s not even close to what’s coming. If you going to worry about sports being canceled, you need to start worrying about football.
Yes. Hard to tell at the moment how it may affect the football season wholesale, but the outlook (pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic and the economic aftershocks in communities) is starting to look concerning with a handful of schools and their football.