OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday (Noon)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday
Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass will meet with the media and a live online audience at noon; press conference limited to 30 media members

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association will host a press conference at noon Thursday (March 19) at the OHSAA office, Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass has announced.

The press conference will be limited to 30 media members to comply with the directive from the Centers for Disease Control that no more than 50 people be together in the same room. Media must request and be approved for a seat at the press conference via email from Tim Stried at the OHSAA.

The press conference will be streamed live through OHSAA.tv and the OHSAA’s social media platforms (@OHSAASports on Twitter and Facebook).

Snodgrass will provide updates and information on the OHSAA’s winter tournaments that were postponed indefinitely last Thursday, along with updates on spring sports. He will also take questions from media.

OHSAA member schools are encouraged to watch the press conference, as Snodgrass will respond to some of the frequently asked questions from the past several days. His memo to member schools last Friday is posted at: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-winter-and-spring-sports-update

This may be the first time LCF is right. Expect this to be the end of sports for this school year.

Personally, I think they should come out and say that the Winter sports season is complete and no championships will occur. They will also delay the start of the Spring season until at least May 11th. Sometime in mid to late April, they will have another announcement to say whether things are on track for the Spring season or not.

Personally, I think they should come out and say that the Winter sports season is complete and no championships will occur. They will also delay the start of the Spring season until at least May 11th. Sometime in mid to late April, they will have another announcement to say whether things are on track for the Spring season or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the press conference on Thurs. addresses that very issue. As for spring sports, I reckon nothing will be resumed as long as schools are closed.

Don't understand the issue with the spring sports. They are outdoor, non-contact, and have low spectator rates.
My grandson is a senior so I'm sick about this whole thing. Ok outdoor,non contact and low spectator. Ok now imagine the horror if even only 1 track or baseball player does contract and unimaginably contracts this virus and succumbs to it. Is it worth it? Ohsaa is holding a press conference Thursday at noon. My guess to announce spring sports are cancled. It sickens me for my grandson and every senior athlete. I dont have the answer nor is there a right or wrong answer but are you willing to risk the ultimate risk? I'm not.

My grandson is a senior so I'm sick about this whole thing. Ok outdoor,non contact and low spectator. Ok now imagine the horror if even only 1 track or baseball player does contract and unimaginably contracts this virus and succumbs to it. Is it worth it? Ohsaa is holding a press conference Thursday at noon. My guess to announce spring sports are cancled. It sickens me for my grandson and every senior athlete. I dont have the answer nor is there a right or wrong answer but are you willing to risk the ultimate risk? I'm not.
Well...you would have to be sure the athlete got it from the sport and not the grocery store or his girlfriend's family.

And of course they still probably have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident yet.

Right. I don’t understand these people that actually think they are going to have spring sports. The kids aren’t going back to school this year.
I think that most people I've talked to, especially the ones involved with spring sports, are just holding onto any hope that the season can start late this year. Realistically, I think most people know that it's likely going to come to the point where everything gets cancelled. I just think it's best to wait for another couple weeks or even into mid April before cancelling for sure. Just my opinion though.

Agreed. That fear of the one casualty is going to be in the front of everyone's mind and the reason that very few would be willing to make the decision that caused it.

I agree that Spring sports is in jeopardy but I think they will still wait a little while to see if anything changes before scrapping the season.

I think that most people I've talked to, especially the ones involved with spring sports, are just holding onto any hope that the season can start late this year. Realistically, I think most people know that it's likely going to come to the point where everything gets cancelled. I just think it's best to wait for another couple weeks or even into mid April before cancelling for sure. Just my opinion though.
I agree. Just keep kicking the can down the road until it can't be kicked any farther. There's not much to be gained by scrapping the entire spring sports calendar just yet.

Don't understand the issue with the spring sports. They are outdoor, non-contact, and have low spectator rates.

3 issues:
1. If schools are closed, you can not play or practice.
2. Anyone that has ever coached a High School Spring sport knows that 80% or more of your practices are actually inside. The weather in the north sucks for spring sports. I coach Girls HS softball and have always wished that they would move HS softball to the fall, and HS volleyball to the spring. I've had many springs where you get to the end of the season and may have had 3 practices all year outside. Games are scheduled to start late March/early April. Almost all of them get postponed. Now a backlog starts. Any nice day you are playing makeup games. Then the rainy days you are back in a gym practicing an outdoor sport. Then nice day/days you are back making up games. And that cycle just repeats itself. And you never get on the field for an outside practice.
3. I am also an Educator. I would be shocked if we go back to school this year. The virus curve is just beginning. We have a long ways to go before the curve heads downward and this pandemic ends . Sad, but true.

Last edited:
Well...you would have to be sure the athlete got it from the sport and not the grocery store or his girlfriend's family.

And of course they still probably have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident yet.

What part of social distancing do you not understand?

Clearly you don’t understand what’s going on
Sure I do. I also understand the players aren't really at risk. Grandma and grandpa are the ones most likely to have issues from this virus. But then again, the sports are outside where social distancing can be optimized.

The third baseman sneezing isnt going to get the right fielder from the other team sick.

3 issues:
1. If schools are closed, you can not play or practice.
2. Anyone that has ever coached a High School Spring sport knows that 80% or more of your practices are actually inside. The weather in the north sucks for spring sports. I coach Girls HS softball and have always wished that they would move HS softball to the fall, and HS volleyball to the spring. I've had many springs where you get to the end of the season and may have had 3 practices all year outside. Games are scheduled to start late March/early April. Almost all of them get postponed. Now a backlog starts. Any nice day you are playing makeup games. Then the rainy days you are back in a gym practicing an outdoor sport. Then nice day/days you are back making up games. And that cycle just repeats itself. And you never get on the field for an outside practice.
3. I am also an Educator. I would be shocked if we go back to school this year. The virus curve is just beginning. We have a long ways to go before the curve heads downward and this pandemic ends . Sad, but true.
1. Kids are still to be learning are they not? They aren't physically in school but they are receiving instruction aren't they? Or will they have to repeat their current year's grade? And you do realize that practices and games are regularly played on other days when schools are closed right? The phenomenon of sports being allowed to continue when schools being closed is hardly unusual.

2. I played high school spring sports and also coached. We already know the season would be delayed. Probably to the point where practice outside will be easier. Maybe it's a shortened season. Maybe it extends into the summer? Think outside the box a little.

3. Finally, something I agree with you on. I doubt kids return to school this school year. But as far as pandemics go....this one is a little disappointing to be honest.