OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday (Noon)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
OHSAA to Host Press Conference Thursday
Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass will meet with the media and a live online audience at noon; press conference limited to 30 media members

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association will host a press conference at noon Thursday (March 19) at the OHSAA office, Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass has announced.

The press conference will be limited to 30 media members to comply with the directive from the Centers for Disease Control that no more than 50 people be together in the same room. Media must request and be approved for a seat at the press conference via email from Tim Stried at the OHSAA.

The press conference will be streamed live through OHSAA.tv and the OHSAA’s social media platforms (@OHSAASports on Twitter and Facebook).

Snodgrass will provide updates and information on the OHSAA’s winter tournaments that were postponed indefinitely last Thursday, along with updates on spring sports. He will also take questions from media.

OHSAA member schools are encouraged to watch the press conference, as Snodgrass will respond to some of the frequently asked questions from the past several days. His memo to member schools last Friday is posted at: https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/ohsaa-winter-and-spring-sports-update

The OHSAA made their original call....to play with no fans....and did for one night. The next day the governor essentially shut the remainder of the tourney down. Why can't people see this? The orignal call was with the OHSAA and people complained, which at the time may or may not have been a valid complaint. Two days later it was out of their hands. Stop blaming them....they had no choice at that point

Anyone with any connection or involvement to Ohio high school sports is asked to watch so they can reduce the amount of phone calls, messages and emails they are receiving at OHSAA.

Jerry Snodgrass was on 92.3 the Fan in Cleveland this afternoon at approximately 1:20pm - but I didn't get to listen.....anyone happen to hear what he had to say?

• Winter Sports - Still on indefinite postponement
  • Extending tournaments problematic
  • Cancelling Winter tournaments is on the table
  • Tentative schedule for Spring sports: still on but could change if DeWine extends closing of schools
  • Cancelling Spring sports is on the table
  • If cancellation is required, likely all Winter sports would cancel at the same time. Probably not cancel one Winter sport and play another.
  • No extra year of eligibility - this was a question brought up by one of the reporters questions.
  • Working on eligibility for resumption of school due to closures possibly making athletes ineligible
  • No authority over travel teams. Worried about kids moving to their travel teams.
  • If Spring sports do not happen, what will happen with grades eligibility? Might make every kid eligible.
  • Financial impact on OHSAA. Huge impact and working on how bad it is. Lose 1.4-1.5 million in revenues from Winter Sports out of 19 million overall budget. 80% of OHSAA revenue from ticket sales.
  • Thinking creatively to keep the possibility of a season alive.
  • Decision on Winter sports coming in the next 24-48 hours
  • Would they announce a poll champion or a year without champions? Not sure yet. Not likely to have multiple champs.
  • Spring sports still has room to get the season in even with more school time closed. Could move tournaments later in June. Site availability an issue.
  • Winter sports not likely to be played in mid May. Strongly doubts it.
  • OHSAA has not discussed the Fall yet but realize how rapidly this is moving

Last edited:
I wish the schools could be called to place an emergency vote on canceling the remainder of the winter sports season, so that the schools and the OHSAA can put their heads together and figure out soon about decision-making deadlines they’ll set for the spring season. The vote would end up resulting in a decision to cancel the season and move on to more important business: spring sports.

As far as the "additional year of eligibility question". It wasn't a reporter in attendance. It was one of the "more submitted questions" to the OHSAA leading up to the press conference. Who in their right mind would have thought that that would be an option? I think this whole virus game is sucking the common sense right out of people lol

As far as the "additional year of eligibility question". It wasn't a reporter in attendance. It was one of the "more submitted questions" to the OHSAA leading up to the press conference. Who in their right mind would have thought that that would be an option? I think this whole virus game is sucking the common sense right out of people lol
That was the most off the wall question. The only way that I could possibly understand someone asking that question was for younger students who will have to repeat their grade (mostly Freshmen) because of the incomplete school year. I imagine some parents might take this opportunity for their struggling kids to get an extra year of school without the social stigma of a holdback. Maybe they want that 5th year when they are Seniors.

Repeating the school year is not an option. Most schools are done with the 3rd quarter or a week or two away. Those third quarter grades can be completed for all schools. Schools have plans in place to continue the school year even if not in school. It may be an easier task for some schools than others, but students will continue to get schooling. A worst case situation is that the ODE amend the requirements for a school year. I can not see any situation where they would not count this school year considering 75% of the year is over (especially since calamity days were rarely used this year due to weather).

When he said they expect to make a decision on winter sports in the next 24-48 hours, that basically sealed the deal...

Won’t DeWine basically be making the decision since he’s the one closing everything down? He’s limiting gatherings to 100 or less. Would the regional sites and tosu even allow the ohsaa to use their facilities?

I'm guessing they anticipate an announcement for DeWine Friday which will change what they originally were going to announce.

This is 98% speculation.

Snodgrass' has gone about this the wrong way. Much more respect for making the decision that 90% everyone else already knows is happening. I believe it couldn't be easier than right now to pull the string.

Snodgrass' has gone about this the wrong way. Much more respect for making the decision that 90% everyone else already knows is happening. I believe it couldn't be easier than right now to pull the string.

.....why? It's not hurting anyone to wait....as long as the thought is that schools may be back in session in a couple weeks. After as much crap as he took for stopping the tourney the first time, if I'm him I wait until Dewine closes the schools...so then he has no choice and the idiots can't get on his butt for doing it.

.....why? It's not hurting anyone to wait....as long as the thought is that schools may be back in session in a couple weeks. After as much crap as he took for stopping the tourney the first time, if I'm him I wait until Dewine closes the schools...so then he has no choice and the idiots can't get on his butt for doing it.
Agreed.

There's no prize for cancelling early. The winter sports tournaments are probably not happening, but once they're cancelled, there's no going back.

If you are following what is going on, it's laughable to think OHSAA is going to have their sports when our state and the rest of the country is no where near turning the corner on this.

It's actually leading the kids and some coaches on. It's idiotic to think we are going to have winter tourneys. It's impossible. Literally. For many reasons. Spring sports too IMO.

Snodgrass is waiting it out (which is good), but really just hoping that DeWine makes the decision for him. I like that he postponed rather than knee-jerk reaction cancel...because as some said there is no turning back at that point. It doesn't look good and Snodgrass said as much. If they were willing to go into the summer (which they probably won't), I don't think spring sports is completely out of the question. Start practices in a month. Use May for regular season. June for tournaments. It COULD happen. As for the winter sports tournament, yeah that is darn near impossible unless a miracle treatment starts gaining lots of traction in in the next 48-72 hours.

I agree he's waiting for DeWine to make the call so he doesn't have to. If the peak is May then you're looking at least 45 days to come down from the apex. Approximately 60 days to get over the hump and then you've got to come down from it.

The worst part is, they were so close to being done. I will forever say, the basketball tournaments could have been finished. 5 more days, sterile gyms with no one in attendance other than a few media members to stream the games. It could have been finished by the middle of last week. Seriously. Snodgrass' knee-jerk reaction will be imprinted on the lives of the state's seniors forever. FOREVER.

The worst part is, they were so close to being done. I will forever say, the basketball tournaments could have been finished. 5 more days, sterile gyms with no one in attendance other than a few media members to stream the games. It could have been finished by the middle of last week. Seriously. Snodgrass' knee-jerk reaction will be imprinted on the lives of the state's seniors forever. FOREVER.
You post this from the beach in Cali? I mean seriously people - some of y'all just DO NOT GET IT. You suggest 5 more days is allll we needed.....Look at the numbers from 5 days ago till now. I'm not going to look back to what they numbers were exactly 5 days ago.....but I can tell you that on Friday 3/20, there were around 18,000 cases in the US and 220,000 cases world wide. Today - there are 35,000 cases in the US and 320,000 world wide.

How many people have to get sick and how many people have to die, before people starting waking the bleep up and realizing that a high school state basketball game means basically NOTHING in the grand scheme of whats happening in the world right now.....smh

Do us all a solid and go wash your hands.....