OHSAA Tells Winter Sport Coaches HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE

braygatron4

HOLD UP

Attachments

• AB0C1D53-9B86-469E-B4A5-6CB5B39FC649.png
    AB0C1D53-9B86-469E-B4A5-6CB5B39FC649.png
    426.9 KB · Views: 262

There is no way this is going to happen. False hope. Sorry but the fact remains schools are not likely back in session after April 3rd and maybe not even this year.
Absolutely true. This epidemic will be around for many, many months, if not into next year. The "flattening of the curve" that these closings are meant to accomplish should keep the health care system from being overwhelmed by a sudden spike in cases but it also has the effect of lengthening the time it takes for the virus to run its course. They aren't telling the public this because people are already panicking and the truth would make it worse.

Heck, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for summer workouts/lifting for football. And then I worry about what restrictions each program will have to have in place to play football. I'm not buying into the panic myself, but I know how these things play out. Society and schools are going to be over cautious before anything else.

This is pie in the sky. Best case scenario is things going back to somewhat normal in May. Barring a miracle treatment discovery, there won’t be any spring sports.

If the peak of this virus lasts from the middle of April through early May as the Ohio dept of health assumes then I am confused as to why anyone would think the kids are going to be in school the rest of the year ? I just don’t see it happening.

I suppose it's OHSAA's attempt to soften the blow for a bunch of heartbroken kids, coaches and parents. Weak IMO but these decisions aren't easy. No one has ever been through it before and just trying to do the best job possible.

I spoke with an ER doctor this evening who addressed the Coronavirus situation in the the US as “unnecessary panic”. He said people who are worried they have the virus are clogging up the ER rooms preventing the doctors helping the folks with real medical needs.

Absolutely true. This epidemic will be around for many, many months, if not into next year. The "flattening of the curve" that these closings are meant to accomplish should keep the health care system from being overwhelmed by a sudden spike in cases but it also has the effect of lengthening the time it takes for the virus to run its course. They aren't telling the public this because people are already panicking and the truth would make it worse.
Maybe not into next year but for 6 to 8 weeks for sure. I don't think the public or the economy can stand it for more than 3 to 4. They are talking about closing child care and not having the kids watched by their grandparents. Think that one through. Let's hope we get an early warm Spring and that helps or better yet, cut the kids lose to their club teams if this is not going to happen.

It's a fact schools are preparing for longer closures, including the rest of the year. Proms likely canceled next then commencement ceremonies. Hopefully it doesn't get that far but if it peaks in May it will. The next couple of weeks will obviously be telling.

Schools do need to prepare for closures for the rest of the year, but making preparations and enacting them are two different things. To me, there is no rush to cancel the rest of school. This is all uncharted waters for everyone. You need to be diligent, but you don't need to be rash. My daughter is in college and they have cancelled face-to-face classes until April 13th and will revisit the issue as facts come in; which is fine. They are preparing for the possibility of extending the ban for the rest of the school year, and for scheduling an online graduation, but they aren't making that call yet. They don't need to. Who knows what the world will look like next week, let alone two months from now! Just look at how different things are now compared to just 4-5 days ago. In two weeks we could all be looking back at this and wondering what the fuss was, or we could be in an Italian-style lock-down and fighting each other in the aisles of Costco or Walmart over a roll of toilet paper! Safeguard measures have been put into place that we will have to deal with. Let's see how they work and make adjustments from there.

Right and I agree. Do this in waves, not all at once. Time isn't pressing right now (on these events) even though it's gone 0-100 in just a couple days.

Keep in mind the original post is about them possibly bringing back winter sport tournaments. It isn't happening.

I have no problem if they keep the Winter sports options open all the way until the end of the school year. This is the time for outside the box thinking. Same with the Spring sports season. If they really wanted to, they could do away with 95% of the regular season and have playoffs only.

This would not be fair to the spring sports teams. This has been a horrible thing but at least hoops got in their entire regular season and some playoff action. The well-being of our country's health is much more important than any game(s). Not such a bad lesson for the kid's to learn about life and its up's and down's. BTW. I coached high school basketball for 30 years and have been retired for quite some time.

Just read the comments on that reporter's twitter post. Their are AD's in Ohio commenting that they never received anything from OHSAA to back up what she's saying.

Right and I agree. Do this in waves, not all at once. Time isn't pressing right now (on these events) even though it's gone 0-100 in just a couple days.

Keep in mind the original post is about them possibly bringing back winter sport tournaments. It isn't happening.
Completely agree. I actually think they know already but want to position it where it isn't complete shock and awe right now and that they feel it won't be/feel as bad several weeks down the road when they announce its completely shut down. Just my opinion of course.

I would love to see the tournaments happen, but after a period of 3 or 4+ weeks of no practice? A basketball season and team has a rhythm to it. It's a journey and those final 16-32 teams that are in the final 4 or regional finals have a momentum. With that much time away, it would be very similar to having those teams play it out last October. Still, I support giving these kids a chance to play it out if it's practical and possible. But I suspect it is neither.

Frankly, this report, if real, feels like a just-in-case CYA in the situation where this virus fizzles and we are sitting here 6 weeks from now saying, "We took this opportunity for these kids away for this?" The OHSAA doesn't endear itself to many fans and they know it. FWIW

Last edited:
This would not be fair to the spring sports teams. This has been a horrible thing but at least hoops got in their entire regular season and some playoff action. The well-being of our country's health is much more important than any game(s). Not such a bad lesson for the kid's to learn about life and its up's and down's. BTW. I coached high school basketball for 30 years and have been retired for quite some time.
. There’s only about 50 teams left in basketball. All that could be done in a week if we ever get to that point.