OHSAA Suspends Multiple Massillon Players - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it is such a big deal and can get a program in some serious problems, maybe the AD or whomever needs to follow up on new transfers into a program to ensure what has been submitted is legit.
It truly cannot be that many new kids each year.

Going the extra mile, and documenting, can go a long way for a program to ensure they are doing their due diligence so no one can claim plausible deniability. Heck, if I was a head coach I would do the final legwork to ensure proper residency, etc, because at the end of the day those Wins and Losses are on him. They are the face of any program
I can assure anyone that Massillon performs due diligence. Is what stinks for the schools is how far do they need to go to verify? Hire private investigators? If someone provides paperwork in terms of bills stating they live at X then that is good by most.

Again, I know schools that break every rule in the book and never get a sniff from OHSAA. I know others that are routinely hammered for the most arbitrary reasons.

They changed the age standard a couple years ago because of lawsuits. They need to change the transfer by-law for the same reason. It has always been a disaster.

Yappi allows the haters to have a free shot, as he normal does but deletes published reports about what is going on in other programs (NY Times article about Steubenville).

The morons hope that someone at Massillon screwed up and hasn't used the rules properly to even the playing field with "open enrollment" to compete against the all-star teams. Give up on try to get us to bite on believing ANY program in a traditional school district, can compete against all-star teams!

Nate Moore was well aware of what was going on and has used the rules to correct the situation. The fact he has set down roots in Massillon and the odds that he and the school administration screwed up and made a major mistake that can cause them to lose their jobs and for Massillon to suffer serious penalties is microscopic!

That is reflected in the correspondence between the Massillon administration and the OHSAA, where the state association's actions advise there was NO improper activity by the Massillon program.

What appears to have happened is the OHSAA's "HATE" for the Massillon program, has become documented, where they have used an illegal bylaw to take actions against the program, that happened as a result of a third party, who had NO connection with the Massillon program. Massillon has been forced to take legal action before and this situation seems like ANOTHER situation RIPE for a slam dunk by the Plakas firm!

Even the most bitter rival and haters, jealous of the Massillon program (knowing they'll never equal their records, so they have to attack and destroy their program) would agree that a law / rules is illegal and unenforceable that attempts to hold an entity liable for actions unconnected to it. (How many investigations and allegations have been found to have ANY merit, against former President Trump, that were brought because the Democrats are AFRAID he will run again?!

Last edited:

It is also possible that rule 4.6.1 is involved if they were ok last year, but not this year.

Bylaw 4-6-1​

The districts for all public schools are established by the State Board of Education and defined for athletic purposes. In addition, school districts with multiple high schools may establish attendance zones within those districts. In determining one’s residence for purposes of these bylaws, the following criteria shall apply: (a) where the parents and family members sleep the majority of the time, (b) where the mail is received, (c) where the meals are prepared and eaten, (d) where the parents are registered to vote, and (e) where important family activities take place during significant parts of each day. Note: It shall not be considered a “bona fide” change of residence as prescribed in Bylaw 4-7-2, Exception 1, or Bylaw 4-7-4 (1) if the parents of a transfer student vacate the residence prior to one year from the date that the student’s transfer is approved, and the student remains in the school into which the transfer was approved.

yep...the OHSAA hates Massillon and is so incredibly jealous of Massillon's alleged success that they hunted Massillon down. That is much more likely than Moore and Co being guilty of recruiting violations for the 2nd time in five years.

You do know the OHSAA checked addresses for these kids over a year ago. And they were approved. I am sure if they all listed the same address the OHSAA would have noticed. So just stop lying.
OSHAA doesn't check any addresses, that's the school's job to see if the address checks out.

Yappi allows the haters to have a free shot, as he normal does but deletes published reports about what is going on in other programs (NY Times article about Steubenville).......................................

Steubenville case involves possible liability issues for Yappi; this case does not; unless someone actually names a player

Free shot??? some jump to conclusions, some are curious as to what the issue is.

Connecting Massillon with Trump :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Steubenville case involves possible liability issues for Yappi; this case does not; unless someone actually names a player
The liability attached to a PUBLISHED news article, of objective facts is minimal and more a reflection of a bias!

Last edited:
Because it is such a big deal and can get a program in some serious problems, maybe the AD or whomever needs to follow up on new transfers into a program to ensure what has been submitted is legit.
It truly cannot be that many new kids each year.

Going the extra mile, and documenting, can go a long way for a program to ensure they are doing their due diligence so no one can claim plausible deniability. Heck, if I was a head coach I would do the final legwork to ensure proper residency, etc, because at the end of the day those Wins and Losses are on him. They are the face of any program
I can simply speak to a different large public that has issues with OHSAA that due diligence is through the roof. You would not believe what the schools does to ensure kids are legit eligible. And keep in mind they are going off of what people say/submit. That extra mile would mean hiring someone to hide in bushes and surveil which is weird and above and beyond IMO. Then I know of other schools where just about anything goes. If this rule is only to pick and choose who we investigate then abolish it.

Irish_Buffalo - Yes, there are schools that continually bend, break, interpret the rules to their advantage, try to take full advantage of said rules, do everything just short of trying not to get caught and yes-flat out cheat. Massillon has proven on more than one occasion they are one of these schools.

It’s the ole NASCAR saying “You ain’t tryin if you aren’t cheating”. I would just think there would be enough alumni and folks in the Massillon community/football program to say enough. We will win/lose with Massillon kids and conduct ourselves in a respectable manner.

The history of high school football in Ohio and on a national level can not be written without mentioning Massillon. Unfortunately, not everything said about Massillon is about state & national titles, a great & historic facility, Paul Brown and several other positive things. The scandal and outright cheating is also Massillon.

This story is a sad day for Ohio high school football.

It is also possible that rule 4.6.1 is involved if they were ok last year, but not this year.

Bylaw 4-6-1​

The districts for all public schools are established by the State Board of Education and defined for athletic purposes. In addition, school districts with multiple high schools may establish attendance zones within those districts. In determining one’s residence for purposes of these bylaws, the following criteria shall apply: (a) where the parents and family members sleep the majority of the time, (b) where the mail is received, (c) where the meals are prepared and eaten, (d) where the parents are registered to vote, and (e) where important family activities take place during significant parts of each day. Note: It shall not be considered a “bona fide” change of residence as prescribed in Bylaw 4-7-2, Exception 1, or Bylaw 4-7-4 (1) if the parents of a transfer student vacate the residence prior to one year from the date that the student’s transfer is approved, and the student remains in the school into which the transfer was approved.
Given what we know and looking at the Bylaw, it would appear that kids gave the Massillon address yet were spending the majority of their time sleeping and eating elsewhere. Unless there's more tying someone associated with Massillon to that scheme, the only penalty would seem to be prohibiting their participation.

That's the beauty of transparency, of which there is none here- we'd know the purported facts which would cut down on the rumors and speculation.

The liability attached to s PUBLISHED news article of objective facts is minimal and more a reflection of a bias!

The problem was posters going further than what was printed.
I had a website [not sports related] that I had to shut down because I basically couldn't delete posts fast enough. There a lot of people who don't understand libel or the difference between private and public*

*ex Covington kids

yep...the OHSAA hates Massillon and is so incredibly jealous of Massillon's alleged success that they hunted Massillon down. That is much more likely than Moore and Co being guilty of recruiting violations for the 2nd time in five years.
YOU and the other posters can take your foot out of it! The post below is the only facts, at this time but you expose your hate and lack of fair consideration of the facts, TILL EVERYTHING has been revealed.

The Massillon program was not the focus of this action.:

I was against Massillon's previous actions, TILL it became objectively obvious that the OHSAA was going to allow all-stars to exist and dominate high school sports. (Hate for Massillon's records and giving schools a way to rout them, in the playoffs and replace their records is a FACT, whether the OHSAA motivation can be objectively proven, is still open for discussion!).

It has become ridiculous, to the point that teams are fielded in lower divisions, that draw from areas that allow them to have D1 talent with enrollments that keep them in the lower division playoffs!

If this wasn't happening to Massillon, the outcry to change the rules / reorganize the OHSAA would be deafening!!!

Last edited:
You have failed logic 101 with this sentence

If that's the best you can do?! The OHSAA has created a situation where all-star teams have been created by parochial and private schools that dominate the playoffs and have destroyed competitive balance.

There have been administrators and a commissioner from the team that is the primary rival of Massillon, that I could make a direct connection to. The primary problem is what the OHSAA has allowed the playoffs to become.

Even the all-star teams have problems filling a schedule and fall short, currently, against National all-star teams!

I can simply speak to a different large public that has issues with OHSAA that due diligence is through the roof. You would not believe what the schools does to ensure kids are legit eligible. And keep in mind they are going off of what people say/submit. That extra mile would mean hiring someone to hide in bushes and surveil which is weird and above and beyond IMO. Then I know of other schools where just about anything goes. If this rule is only to pick and choose who we investigate then abolish it.
I have never been a subscriber to the defense that 'other people are doing the same thing or much worse'.

OHSAA always has it out for Massillon, like when they *checks notes* let them play a title game in their home Stadium. Yessir, nothing but hate from the OHSAA bigwigs.
You have a deep understanding apparently of "NOTHING" since that certainly balances out the talent discrepancy of playing against all-star teams!

Ask La Salle and Hoban if they understand what this has done to competitive balance when it's become clear to them, how far away, they are from the elite national all-star teams?!

Given what we know and looking at the Bylaw, it would appear that kids gave the Massillon address yet were spending the majority of their time sleeping and eating elsewhere. Unless there's more tying someone associated with Massillon to that scheme, the only penalty would seem to be prohibiting their participation.

That's the beauty of transparency, of which there is none here- we'd know the purported facts which would cut down on the rumors and speculation.
I am missing something....if Massillon is open enrollment and a kid wants to go to Massillon from lets say Mansfield...and if he drives from Mansfield every day he still gets to go to Massillon. What does where he sleeps or eats have anything to do with open enrollment?

It has become ridiculous, to the point that teams are fielded in lower divisions, that draw from areas that allow them to have D1 talent with enrollments that keep them in the lower division playoffs!
How ridiculous can you get??? With this statement you're saying it's not possible for a player in the lower divisions to be as talented as those on big school teams. That's absurd.

Free shot??? some jump to conclusions, some are curious as to what the issue is.

Connecting Massillon with Trump :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The original post was not a problem. Once moderated that problem would be corrected.

You're that naïve or just playing stupid? The whole thread was created to bash Massillon, which is validated by the same posts by the same posters bashing Massillon, when the "only" facts, in the administrators letter directly state that the Massillon program WASN"T involved!!

Perfect analogy. with the point that Massillon (Plakas) has handed the OHSAA it's lunch many times, losing court cases, yet ignorant posters act as if the REFUTED allegations count.

Do we really need to repeat all the false cases (Collusion!!!), manufactured against Trump that have been refuted!!!

I am missing something....if Massillon is open enrollment and a kid wants to go to Massillon from lets say Mansfield...and if he drives from Mansfield every day he still gets to go to Massillon. What does where he sleeps or eats have anything to do with open enrollment?
Because if you open enroll in a way you described, you’d have to miss half the season for not meeting any transfer exceptions.

move into the district, that’s an exception, get to play the whole season.

You mean when Massillon let OHSAA use their Stadium so all the championship games could be played with little more than 24 hours notice.
Yes, it was legitimately a great job by them. I’m just saying if the OHSAA really “had it out” for Massillon they wouldn’t have let that happen. OHSAA hating Massillon is a myth. They just follow up on the complaints they receive.

other schools being more likely to drop a dime on Massillon than they are other programs? Now maybe you’re onto something there.

You're that naïve or just playing stupid? The whole thread was created to bash Massillon, which is validated by the same posts by the same posters bashing Massillon, when the "only" facts, in the administrators letter directly state that the Massillon program WASN"T involved!!

It is a news item; it does involve players at Massillon; these are considered facts that do not have to be objectively proven.

OHSAA suspending players is news no matter what the name of the school is.

It is a news item; it does involve players at Massillon; these are considered facts that do not have to be objectively proven.

Really, is THAT what I addressed?

The problem with ANY message board is an acceptable bias.

Does the owner want to moderate threads that are popular, EVEN if they are the same trolls doing the same bashing and NOT offering a legitimate discourse on the topic?!

Why is the OHSAA / Massillon not releasing the details, because its an ongoing investigation?

Why were there suspension, if the investigation is still in progress? Was a bylaw violated, that permits it?

Last edited:

Exactly. Everyone was talking about it. The Superintendent released a memo to the newspaper. It was published in the paper and on news web sites. It was being discussed on the radio. And yet you think it shouldn't be brought up on a sports forum? Sounds like you didn't want to get your feelings hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.