OHSAA state tournament

Personally, I wouldn't care where it was at as long as the facility is nice. My son played all over Ohio in various tournaments and in the State Championship. It was great to see all parts of Ohio. Last Summer I was in Wheelersburg for the Little League State Tournament and it was a great experience. I can't imagine any other reason why I might have visited some of these areas so I am glad I was able to follow my kids around in travel baseball and softball.

While we're throwing out ridiculous sites that have zero shot of ever hosting....why not Chillicothe? Stadium seats over 3000 and used to host Indy ball.

Sprengler in Avon seats 5000 or so, and Cedar Point isn't far away. Great family destination for a weekend!

BGSU has a 2500 seat stadium.

Now for the only of these 4 I'm bringing up I'd even consider: Bob Wren at OU. It's time either SE or NW Ohio hosted something. Sure, we all lack the fancy big city amenities, in many cases full sets of teeth, and in many's eyes class. But if NE, SW, and Central are just gonna bicker....we'll take them.

Don't mind me. I'm a bit delirious, I'll regreat this post in a few hours. ?
At the Paints site? Places is a dump.

While we're throwing out ridiculous sites that have zero shot of ever hosting....why not Chillicothe? Stadium seats over 3000 and used to host Indy ball.

Sprengler in Avon seats 5000 or so, and Cedar Point isn't far away. Great family destination for a weekend!

BGSU has a 2500 seat stadium.

Now for the only of these 4 I'm bringing up I'd even consider: Bob Wren at OU. It's time either SE or NW Ohio hosted something. Sure, we all lack the fancy big city amenities, in many cases full sets of teeth, and in many's eyes class. But if NE, SW, and Central are just gonna bicker....we'll take them.

Don't mind me. I'm a bit delirious, I'll regreat this post in a few hours. ?
Guys, Lets be honest and talk about the perks that the OHSAA expects. Nobody sees value in those except for the Akron Canton area. The bottom line is this. If the tournament or meet lasts more than one day, it does not matter because if you have to go up there twice or find a place to stay. The one event that should be centrally located or rotate or just play in different areas is the football championship.

Akron, Columbus and Dayton really are the only viable spots that I see for the State Tournament.
While players and coaches will play this anywhere, I think sites like Rubberducks, Clippers and Dragons are "cool enough"

Same folks who poopoo The Shoe for football should have the same cavernous issues with Cincy and Clev, and to be honest having in even further in the corner is too far for many.

WIth that said though, I have been optimistic up to this point and will hold out hope, but I think we are down to like a % chance the season will still go on with the condensed timeline the OHSAA put out.

Akron, Columbus and Dayton really are the only viable spots that I see for the State Tournament.
While players and coaches will play this anywhere, I think sites like Rubberducks, Clippers and Dragons are "cool enough"
I think you can add Toledo to that list, too.

I think you can add Toledo to that list, too.
Yeah, that is a nice place, no doubt about that.

I just have to stay consistent with my opinion, if Cincy and Cleveland are too much in the corner of the state then I have to also add in Toledo.

Clev/Cincy of course being big league stadiums you would have the detractors, or you should if they are consistent, , that say games shouldnt be in the Shoe (I am not one of them, I liked the games there) because its too cavernous.

Huntington Park was perfect. Canal Park was very good last year, too (but parking was a nightmare due to all the construction Akron assured the OHSAA would be complete but wasn't). I cannot imagine these games being at Progressive Field. I've never been to the Great American Ballpark, so I cannot speak to that. PNC Park in Pittsburgh is a great MLB stadium that gives you the intimacy/feel of a Minor League ballpark. Loved it so much more than Progressive Field, which is so stinkin' huge, and it feels huge.

I've been to HS games at OSU(old and new), Munson, Cooper, Fifth-Third, Riverfront and Huntington. I would agree that Huntington is a perfect locale for the state tourney. Size is right, middle of the state and plenty to do in the immediate area. However, being in a major league park is a whole different animal. Just with the thought that big league dudes play there was enough for me, regardless of the size of the crowd in relation to the capacity. Cannot go wrong with any of the stadiums mentioned.

Unfortunately I think the final nail in the coffin came down today with Trump's new plan. School's reopening won't be allowed until the 2nd phase. From DeWine's conference today, he's likely not going to start Phase 1 until May 1st and it will take at least 14 days of progress in Phase 1 to move to Phase 2.

I've been to HS games at OSU(old and new), Munson, Cooper, Fifth-Third, Riverfront and Huntington. I would agree that Huntington is a perfect locale for the state tourney. Size is right, middle of the state and plenty to do in the immediate area. However, being in a major league park is a whole different animal. Just with the thought that big league dudes play there was enough for me, regardless of the size of the crowd in relation to the capacity. Cannot go wrong with any of the stadiums mentioned.
Munson was a dump, but the aura of playing in a minor league stadium was cool enough. What was Ohio State's old field called, Traughtman field or something like that? I recall that INF being immaculate.

Munson was a dump, but the aura of playing in a minor league stadium was cool enough. What was Ohio State's old field called, Traughtman field or something like that? I recall that INF being immaculate.

Trautman's infield was the only thing that wasn't awful about that place.

What a dump.

Trautman's infield was the only thing that wasn't awful about that place.

What a dump.
Yeah, it was quite awhile ago and all I recall is the very nice INF, but the rest compared to places of today was just a big HS field. I slightly recall, where the girls SB diamond is/was, that they also had the JV diamond where some semi final games were played

At the Paints site? Places is a dump.
I would say the Chillicothe Paints Stadium would need to go thru a renovation if it wanted to attract the State Tourney. Parking would be an issue as is- also the concessions would be an issue with minimum of say 1000 at each game. Currently the State Tourney does not clear the facility after each game but it would have to happen at Paints Stadium. Paints stadium has hosted Regional games but the push it move those to Ohio University- which has happened in Division II. The Stadium has some local charm but not a good spot for the State Tourney in its current state.

I would say the Chillicothe Paints Stadium would need to go thru a renovation if it wanted to attract the State Tourney. Parking would be an issue as is- also the concessions would be an issue with minimum of say 1000 at each game. Currently the State Tourney does not clear the facility after each game but it would have to happen at Paints Stadium. Paints stadium has hosted Regional games but the push it move those to Ohio University- which has happened in Division II. The Stadium has some local charm but not a good spot for the State Tourney in its current state.
Concur.
I was there last summer. It has its charm, but I believe many would walk away from the place very disappointed.

And the closest place to park is a mile away and people would lose their minds.
There are 2 parking garages literally across the street from the stadium. Another 4 garages on campus that are no more than a 5-7 minute walk. And then another 2 off campus that are no more than a 5-10 minute walk.

There are 2 parking garages literally across the street from the stadium. Another 4 garages on campus that are no more than a 5-7 minute walk. And then another 2 off campus that are no more than a 5-10 minute walk.
That won't be available to the general public.

giphy.gif