OHSAA says higher seeded football teams will have choice to host the regional finals

EHS 2001

The Ohio High School Athletic Association said Tuesday afternoon the higher seeded football teams will have the choice to host the regional final games this month.

The OHSAA told member schools in a memo that those football teams may choose to host at a site other than their home location.

Traditionally, the regional finals have been hosted by neutral sites and the OHSAA is in some ways still treating it as such during this shortened season during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Would it be better to have at neutral site? Larger stadiums allow more fans to attend.
It's about the money as well as the interest of neutral sites to actually host. There is very little incentive (and interest in staffing) this year for the standard neutral sites. Not to mention rental costs.

If the OHSAA just let's the higher seed host, they don't have to worry about either of those issues and they can just collect the admissions fees. I don't really blame them - this year is what it is.

It's about the money as well as the interest of neutral sites to actually host. There is very little incentive (and interest in staffing) this year for the standard neutral sites. Not to mention rental costs.
There is? Do you have anything to back that up? I'd be shocked to find out that Mason's band parents wouldn't show up to staff another R4 final at Atrium Stadium and if there aren't plenty of other schools whose booster organizations wouldn't do the same.

Last edited:
There is? Do you have anything to back that up? I'd be shocked to find out that Mason's band parents wouldn't show up to staff another R4 final at Atrium Stadium and if there aren't plenty of other schools whose booster organizations wouldn't do the same.

What's the incentive? Don't think they can even sell concessions. OHSAA is taking the admissions. Why in the heck would Mason band parents want to do it?

Concessions were sold at every game that I’ve been to either working or as a spectator in some form.

Not sure why they couldn’t sell this week as well.

This has been my experience as well.

I actually think some Schools would really want to host this yr, possibly make some more money then they expected this season and show what their venue may offer for the future Games.

Concessions were sold at every game that I’ve been to either working or as a spectator in some form.

Not sure why they couldn’t sell this week as well.

Didn't know. Doesn't really matter - the volume isn't there and the school's aren't getting any money from admissions. Still not sure what the incentive would be for any parent of a Mason student to show up to host two other teams for little or no money, especially given the circumstances.

This has been my experience as well.

I actually think some Schools would really want to host this yr, possibly make some more money then they expected this season and show what their venue may offer for the future Games.
I don't. I think it will be a difficult enough task finding neutral sites to host the semis (not to mention what the OHSAA is going to have to pay to do it),

Still not sure what the incentive would be for any parent of a Mason student to show up to host two other teams for little or no money, especially given the circumstances.

The incentive is to make money for their band program. It may not be what it used to be, but it’s something. Plus, schools can charge for parking and I imagine many will charge the max this year.

What else do these parents have to do that’s more important than helping their kids’ programs?

I don't. I think it will be a difficult enough task finding neutral sites to host the semis (not to mention what the OHSAA is going to have to pay to do it),

Playoffs will be cancelled from no place to play? Yea right that won’t happen

SMARTY22 said:
I don't. I think it will be a difficult enough task finding neutral sites to host the semis

But you don't mind if they try?

Everything can be an opportunity. Stadiums that have wanted to host a play-off but not been chosen, might be their chance.

But, then that would mean potentially one less week of everyone 'predicting' where the games would be played. :)

"I got this one playing at ______."
"No, no, no. I checked the map and the exact mid-point between the two schools is about 5 miles from ______ stadium"
"Yeah, but did _____ put in a bid to host?"
"No fair my team has to travel 52 miles and they only have to travel 43."

The incentive is to make money for their band program. It may not be what it used to be, but it’s something. Plus, schools can charge for parking and I imagine many will charge the max this year.

What else do these parents have to do that’s more important than helping their kids’ programs?
When you have marching bands the caliber of Mason or the Lakotas or any well-to-do suburban district you’re constantly raising money however and whenever you can. Trips to Pasadena for the Tournament of Roses parade or NYC for the Macy’s parade ain’t cheap.

Host sites get $1,600 flat fee for hosting. So the interest could still be there especially if a school is able to staff the game with volunteers. Lower the site can keep costs, the more they'll make in profit.

When you have marching bands the caliber of Mason or the Lakotas or any well-to-do suburban district you’re constantly raising money however and whenever you can. Trips to Pasadena for the Tournament of Roses parade or NYC for the Macy’s parade ain’t cheap.
Wow that's a condescending point of view. If I'm a Mason band parent and you ask me to work a concession stand or take tickets for 3 hours for two teams that I at least could care less about (if not actively dislike) during a pandemic for what amounts to $20, I hand you $20 and tell you to stick it.

Wow that's a condescending point of view. If I'm a Mason band parent and you ask me to work a concession stand or take tickets for 3 hours for two teams that I at least could care less about (if not actively dislike) during a pandemic for what amounts to $20, I hand you $20 and tell you to stick it.

Where you get 20$ from? You don’t Volunteer/Work any events to support your own kids extra curriculars?

I know this year would suck compared to others with fan restrictions to attend.

My alma mater is too poor to host due to no turf, but for other sports they routinely put their bids in to host hoops, baseball, volleyball, whatever they can for the sole reason to allow various booster clubs to make some extra jack.

I like it. Alumni stadium has good camera locations and great internet. I can either pour the purple, or go with the (hopefully) Hartley channel.

Volunteer hours are required by most of these groups (personal experience)

They all can’t be full House Regional Final contests (no matter the sport), but the money all goes into the same coffer as the bake sales, raffles, mulch fundraisers...... etc....

Don’t underestimate band parents..... many could care less about their own teams (they clear out after halftime), but mess with the band (and anything related, especially money) and you have trouble on your hands ?

Where you get 20$ from? You don’t Volunteer/Work any events to support your own kids extra curriculars?

How profitable do you think concessions are with, at most 1,000 people, in the stands? I am happy to support my kids' extracurriculars but my time has to be worth something.

How entitled are you to demand that band parents from Mason work a concession stand during a pandemic so you get to go watch your team at a neutral stadium????

Volunteer hours are required by most of these groups (personal experience)

They all can’t be full House Regional Final contests (no matter the sport), but the money all goes into the same coffer as the bake sales, raffles, mulch fundraisers...... etc....

Don’t underestimate band parents..... many could care less about their own teams (they clear out after halftime), but mess with the band (and anything related, especially money) and you have trouble on your hands ?

Doesn't change the fact that there are TWO big differences between Mason band parents working a neutral site football game this year - (1) there is a pandemic going on; and (2) the amount of money to be made due to 1.

Heck, I am the least "pandemic" guy on here (see my other posts) - but I can't believe how entitled some of you people seem to be.