OHSAA please stop the rolling of the shorts

Personally, I do not care and is not a big deal to me. Heck, I don't even care if they tuck in the shirts or not. If it is not a safety issue let it be.....

They did something about it last year and everyone complained that it caused more problems by not allowing the rolling of shorts.

I know high school basketball has bigger fish to fry. Maybe it's just me, but the rolled shorts look ridiculous and sloppy
I'd rather have them worry about getting the calls right, which has been a challenge from what I've seen thus far.

Kids are probably doing it more so because their Uniforms don't fit rather than purely style points, it's not like these things are custom-fitted.

It's not the referee's job to police fashion. If a coach, administration and the parents don't care if their kids and team look silly, then so be it. To make the refs worry about it is ridiculous.

I'd rather have them worry about getting the calls right, which has been a challenge from what I've seen thus far.

Kids are probably doing it more so because their Uniforms don't fit rather than purely style points, it's not like these things are custom-fitted.

Two days after Allen Iverson first started wearing his "shooting sleeve" I had a kid wearing a tube sock on his arm.

Kids are the biggest copycats in sports..... ( coaches are a close second ;) )

It's not the referee's job to police fashion. If a coach, administration and the parents don't care if their kids and team look silly, then so be it. To make the refs worry about it is ridiculous.

Actually it is the referee's job..... Rule 3

Many don't it because they -- 1) think it's unnecessary and 2) are afraid their ratings from the coaches will suffer

My kid rolls his shorts because they are probably two sizes to big. Not a fashion statement at all. The school has 14 shorts and tops, unfortunately they dont fit every kid perfectly. I imagine this is the case in alot of instances.

I have 99 problems, and what the shorts look like is not 1.

As others have stated, not all schools have sizes that fits. A lot of the younger kids are in between S, M, L, and XL.

My kid rolls his shorts because they are probably two sizes to big. Not a fashion statement at all. The school has 14 shorts and tops, unfortunately they dont fit every kid perfectly. I imagine this is the case in alot of instances.

I get it. But I was looking at a lot of high school basketball pictures and game film from 2014 and 2013 and nobody rolled their shorts that I saw. I just don't understand why now in 2019/2020 they can't find shorts that fit the kids. Makes me think it's a fashion thing, which it's not the end of the world or anything. I will get over it ?

It's both.

For some, they're mimicking what they're seeing on TV with some college and NBA players. For others, they simply don't fit.

There are a lot of regulations about uniforms that the refs do have to pay attention to already. The size/color of numbers; headbands; uniform color; matching undershirts; etc. all have regulations.

The other issue is uniforms are expensive and often are used for many years. They don’t always fit great on everyone- my daughter always had to roll hers up but always took care to adjust her Jersey So it was less obvious.

15 years ago players would be fighting over the larger shorts. Now they are all fighting over the smaller shorts. The shorter and tighter fitting shorts are the style now. Many of the schools that got new uniforms got the newer style. The schools with the older uniforms have the players rolling them up. Short shorts, long shorts. High socks, low socks. Headbands, no headbands. All these styles come and go. Try to just accept that and not get yourselves all worked up.

I know high school basketball has bigger fish to fry. Maybe it's just me, but the rolled shorts look ridiculous and sloppy
I do have some sympathy for your peeve - especially since you put it in the minor category. But my sympathy arises from a situation I experienced in the 04-05 season. I watched 20+ games of a team who, collectively, pulled on their shorts downward WHILE PLAYING. They were a sloppy and undisciplined team that didn't perform well. The lack of discipline was the cause, but the worrying about how long their shorts were was the constant expression of it.

In one particular game, the post player ripped a rebound and tried to go coast to coast. He pulled on his shorts twice in the effort while dribbling, but got fouled. He went to the line, pulled his shorts downward twice and then did a pull in the crotch across and then up and down. I asked the guy sitting next to me (which happened to be a local pastor) whether he was crossing himself down there, and he said, "No. I think it had more to do with St. Pete." People about 4 bleachers around fell over laughing.

The coach got fired at the end of the season.

It funny how when I was in school the shorts were referred to as "nutters" and the cheerleaders had longer skirts. Recent history has the huge baggy shorts worn by the players and the cheerleaders are wearing much more revealing outfits.Now the players want the smaller shorts again.Everything comes full circle.I used to wear Knee pads and loved Pistol Pete Maravich and Bob McAdoo of the Buffalo Braves. So what do I know.

Just a friendly warning - if you criticize officials on Yappi be ready. You will be called out for your ignorance of the sport and/or told if you can do it better, grab a whistle. Both are ridiculous responses to an obvious problem.

I think I figured it out. I think the rolling of the shorts is not the issue for me. It's the inner lining of the shorts with the tag hanging out that bothers me. It just makes the uniforms look sloppy especially the away. If these companies made the inside lining the same color of the jersey you have a quick fix for me anyway. Ok I'm done with the shorts and back to basketball

Just a friendly warning - if you criticize officials on Yappi be ready. You will be called out for your ignorance of the sport and/or told if you can do it better, grab a whistle. Both are ridiculous responses to an obvious problem.
I am not one that generally criticizes officials any more. Used to, but I wasn't a very happy or pleasant person when I was doing that. Over time I realized that I'm pretty sure that every game I have ever attended had several stinker calls, a handful of questionable calls, and maybe one or two abominations. However, I'm also pretty sure that officials are human, vantage points create different impressions of what is seen and not seen, and that I have never seen officials determine the outcome of a game. At worst I have seen officials create an obstacle for a team or seem to create an advantage for another team, but players and coaches make thousands of decisions and take thousands of actions during a game. E+R=O: the event of a ref's call, plus the players' and coaches' reactions (adaptions, change of strategy/personnel, overcomer mentality, etc.) results in the outcome. Focusing on what I perceived as bad calls stole my enjoyment of watching sports and, truth be told, was a distraction from the coaching and player mistakes that actually determined the outcome.

While officials on forums do seem to be a little on the defensive side with a hypersensitivity to criticism, they tend to circle the wagons around their errant brethren and sisteren, and they do seem to fall into an "us vs. them" mentality, when I look at how fans treat officials, I understand it.

"Grab a whistle if you think you can do better" could be a sophistic response to criticism, but I think you may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater with assuming it is. Volunteer to ref a church/community/intramural game. I have done it - and my sympathy and empathy for officials increased exponentially. Just saying.

"Grab a whistle if you think you can do better" could be a sophistic response to criticism, but I think you may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater with assuming it is.

I don't like when officials use this phrase. It doesn't do anything but antagonize the person criticizing, which is the same thing that person is doing with all the noise from the stands. There's no basis for true discussion and learning, it's just noise from both sides.

And on here, it's just internet bravado. I ignore what the trolls have to say laugh it off internally just as I do when I'm out there working.

That said..... we'd love to have anyone that wants to learn how to officiate.

Last edited:
Oldschoolpanther, I don't see any conflation. That both can be true is more than obvious.

But are both true? I would tend to say, "yes", but how true?

Go to any game on a given night and there will be ample evidence of the latter - the idiots in the stands.

I'm not sure about how bad the officiating is because it involves human perception - which means it is fallible. I learned this lesson at a girls state championship game a long time ago. My team was down 2 points late in the game and needed the ball back. The other team's guard took the ball and ran right over our defender who was clearly standing still in a proper defensive stance. It happened right in front of me. I was sitting 10 rows up in the Schott. We lost by 4 after the player made her free throws. I declared it to be the worst call in the history of bad calls and grumbled all the way home about it.

Got home and re-watched the STO broadcast. They had a camera shooting right up the sideline where the abominable call occurred, which was also the view of the official trailing behind had who made the call. Guess what I saw? Our defender was not still, but she shifted her hips laterally to cause the contact. It was the absolute right call. I couldn't see that from my vantage point.

I suspect a lot of "horrible calls" that are declared by fans in the stands are a lot like my "worst call in the history of bad calls." Something to keep in mind.

Let's put it this way - not all ref complaints are wrong, which refs will lead you to believe.

Refs and coaches always get the benefit of the doubt. There are times when the ref is wrong and there are times when the coach is wrong (not to each other, just in general). Those two professions are filled with people who think they do most things right.