OHSAA Playoff ticket change.

There are reasons for this being changed. The OHSAA isn't doing it just for the fun of inconveniencing people. It would be nice to know the whole story. Without knowing, complaining is senseless.

I’ve never seen that in person. But I have seen shirts being sold at the gate when people buy their tickets.
Steubenville and Catholic Central had merchandise for sale at the school when you'd go to buy presale playoff tickets before. At least a decade ago they did

80% of Americans shop online so this is a ridiculous statement. For the few people who can't, they can certainly ask someone to buy them or just get to the game 90mins early and get a ticket at the gate.
So a potential 20% drop is ok? Not to mention Hillary Clinton was going to win in a landslide.
IMHO on line ordering would make a great additional option

Sorry, don't buy the "there are reasons" B.S. The answer is that there is nothing that prevents the OHSAA from adding the on-line option while keeping everything else in place. It is possible that the on-line provider made the price they are charging the OHSAA for providing the service dependent on the OHSAA removing presale, in-person options. But all that means is that given the choice, a significant amount of people would prefer to buy in-person. In any event, in view of the already declining attendance issues, I think this is a short-sighted and frankly dumb decision.

This thread seems full of who still write checks at the grocery store. My god ppl, online ticket purchases are VASTLY preferred by a large majority of the public. Now I don't have to get in my car and drive to the HS just to get a pre-sale ticket before 430 when the athletic office closes, which was incredibly dumb and inconvenient.

Sure, it would make sense to still offer both options, but complaining about a move to modernize and catch up with the 21st century is for "get off my lawn" geezers who have absolutely no sense of what society is doing or prefers and thinks the world should revolve around them and their needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that I am in the minority due to the fact of coming from Erie every week for playoff games. So just for my own situation, I am very glad to be able to buy tickets online. This is going to make my life so much easier when it comes to getting playoff tickets. I do it whenever possible during the regular season as well. Many years I have had to make a ton of phone calls trying to get schools to hold tickets or find another means of getting my hands on tickets. I'll pay the extra $ to have my ticket in hand before I head west on I-90 and I also am not a fan of standing in long lines. But I do agree with most posters on here that schools should still be able to sell them as well. I'm not sure why they just don't have both options. OHSAA doesn't get the extra online charge, the schools do. So it's not making sense to me why schools won't be allowed to sell them. ??????

Last edited:
A large portion of our fan base is older people and I would bet my last dollar most don’t even own a computer let alone have the capability to buy and pay for tickets on line and I would bet we are not alone.
Watch attendance plummet
I discussed with our AD the exact concern you have... we talked about having someone in the athletic department help with the purchase of tickets.

There are reasons for this being changed. The OHSAA isn't doing it just for the fun of inconveniencing people. It would be nice to know the whole story. Without knowing, complaining is senseless.
Because they make money off of it ?‍♂️

What's senseless is taking it out of the hands of the schools. As others have said no reason you cant have either option available.

OHSAA is a business just like any other business. They made a move to lower their expenses with shipping physical tickets while also modernizing. Not hard to understand. Never would’ve thought so many people in an online message board would have such an aversion to the internet.

After you purchase your ticket online, how is it delivered to you?
Good question. Will they e-mail it to you, and then you can either print it out and hand it to the person at the gate, or just show the person your phone? I would think that each ticket would have to have a bar code and the OHSAA would have to issue scanners to every host school to prevent multiple use of one ticket (for shame!).

Good question. Will they e-mail it to you, and then you can either print it out and hand it to the person at the gate, or just show the person your phone? I would think that each ticket would have to have a bar code and the OHSAA would have to issue scanners to every host school to prevent multiple use of one ticket (for shame!).
Has to be these options somehow. There is almost no way, they can use regular mail to send them. Not enough time to get there

The biggest problem with selling tickets at the school is that they have to get the tickets TO THE SCHOOL. If a team plays round 1 on Saturday night, then Monday someone from the school needs to go to C-bus and get them. That's a lot of driving....expecially if you're a school like Edon in NW Ohio that's 3+ hours from Columbus. It's not feasible for the OHSAA to delivery tickets to 112 schools on Monday so they can have presale tickets to sell. I agree that some older people may not love this....but I would think that they'll find a way to get them. As far as buyjng them at the gate. So few games are sellouts....I doubt you'd have to get to the stadium 90 minutes early to be sure you'd get in.

These people corrupt. Attendance at playoff games will certainly go down after this week.

OHSAA new ticket policy for Rounds 2, 3, and 4

For this year's OHSAA football playoff games for weeks 2, 3 and 4 the participating schools will not be provided tickets for presale. Tickets will be sold exclusively on-line at the OHSAA website (www.ohsaa.org/tickets) and not at the participating schools. The participating schools schools will receive $1 for each ticket sold online.

Tickets will be sold at the gate the day of the game but schools do not receive a percentage of those ticket sales.

For week 1 and the State Championship game, the participating schools will be provided tickets for presale as in prior years.
selling tickets online

but can't figure out how to get the finals online for pay per view

Smart move. There have been several times where I've wanted to attend D1 games here in Cincy but had no interest in traveling to a school I had no affiliation with and trying to find where the tickets were sold. The also keeps the schools safer.
Personally don't like this idea at all..... Marion Local has a LOT of fans 70-80 years old that have been going to games
for years....... I would be surprised if any of them have all the computers/phones needed to complete these transactions.
Not all fans are tech savvy...............Besides why don't other schools do like Marion [ I think Goldwater still does as well ]
and in addition to selling at school offer them for sale at a gas station/carry out so more convenient for fans to purchase.

This thread seems full of s who still write checks at the grocery store. My god ppl, online ticket purchases are VASTLY preferred by a large majority of the public. Now I don't have to get in my car and drive to the HS just to get a pre-sale ticket before 430 when the athletic office closes, which was incredibly dumb and inconvenient.

Sure, it would make sense to still offer both options, but complaining about a move to modernize and catch up with the 21st century is for "get off my lawn" geezers who have absolutely no sense of what society is doing or prefers and thinks the world should revolve around them and their needs.

Those same s contributed making this country free and great. Show some respect.No sense of what society is doing or prefers ? So you know what is best for everyone and telling people how they should live their lives ? Typical liberal and it shows. You are probabvly the type who was picked on as a kid,went to college and was told by a professor to blame all your failures on everyone else. Oh and I could care less about how someone buys their playoff tickets either. Stop being a d***.

I’ve never seen that in person. But I have seen shirts being sold at the gate when people buy their tickets.

Our school always has playoff (or state basketball tourney) t-shirts available when the fans come to buy presale tickets. Guess that's
Here's why this is a bad idea.....

Wow, alot of Ohio schools on that list. I guess the big question is...."where is the money". They don't sell a product....they just sell tickets, collect a fee for their service and forward the money to the schools. Obviously it's a criminal matter. You can't have collected $10 million+ and only have $50,000 left unless someone took it.

This thread seems full of who still write checks at the grocery store. My god ppl, online ticket purchases are VASTLY preferred by a large majority of the public. Now I don't have to get in my car and drive to the HS just to get a pre-sale ticket before 430 when the athletic office closes, which was incredibly dumb and inconvenient.

It's apparent you think the world revolves around you, not the other way around. For every person like myself you seem to not care a whit about there are many others that do not care a .hit about you. Stay in your own little universe and do not intrude in my happy place. I'm pushing 80 hard and care not at all about any reply you may wish to make.

I'm more outraged that the OSHAA is only letting the playoff teams $1 from presale. In previous years didn't the school receive half ($4) of presale?
It had always been 20% in the past so the schools likely will get less out of this version

Looking through the OHSAA's Board of Directors meeting minutes for June 11, 2019, I see that after several successful trial runs, authorization was given to enter into a contract with HomeTown Ticketing (https://www.hometownticketing.com/) to provide on‐line ticketing services. It looks like Pickerington schools, among others, have utilized this company's services for some time.