OHSAA It's Time To Let Us Know Your Plans, The 'Clock' Is Ticking

I'm pretty sure with the lockdown starting tomorrow, there is no need to make any decisions right now. The teams still in the tournament would probably play in July if you allowed them to.

If only radiodave were the OHSAA potentate, we would never have another problem in high school sports!

I see no issue with holding out hope that something can be salvaged for the kids. The timeline doesn't look good but any decision currently made would be to cancel. Not that it looks like it is going that way but if the ohsaa announced yesterday everything was cancelled and then schools opened the first week of April, Dave would be the first guy critical of the decision.

Gonna cancel. Just wish they would rip off the band aid and move one.

"Lets see, Olympics, NCAA Tourney, NCAA Spring Sports, NBA, MLB and entire States have shut down....but, we, in the State of Ohio, know better than everybody else..."

That isn't going to happen.

Governor DeWine has been signaling that all schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year. Would be surprised if he doesn't just say it during one of his pressers this week.

Best case scenario is probably May 1st and that's likely wishful thinking.

I'm hoping we can get through this by June 1st, but my bet is closer to early/mid July.

I'd be surprised if schools ever go back in session. At some point, it's just pointless to take the risk with so little time left in the school year.

The point is...tell coaches and administrators the game plan... I'm sure all of you can think of issues that should be abswered...

if they try and resume basketball and wrestling season, will spring sports start the same time or after they complete tournament

that is kust one there are plenty of other issues that should be addressed

Only issue I can think of is how are there still people too dense to realize, there is no game plan.

This is at a much higher level than any AD, coach or sports organization. There is no time-frame. And when a time comes that lock-down is over and we're at a point normal enough to get on with sports, it's not brain surgery. A couple days of back and forth and everything is in place.

Here is our plan.....until the Governor changes it.....stupid to think anything can be planned until the medical experts determine if our curve has flattened out. Just breath. We cannot control this.

There are two primary methods of spreading the virus:
1- buck shot method. Ie. A plane filled with positive Cov-19 individuals lands in Columbus and spreads giving it to many areas.
2- the bee hive method. An infected individual enters the hive and infects those inside.

Knowing this, once we get the green light to began returning to norm I would expect athletic events, concerts, business seminars and the like, where people come from different communities into a confined space ( hive model ), to be off limits for longer than many other things.

I heard from a source yesterday that community schools will potentially return before private schools or Universities who have a broader footprint.
Seems common sense to me that we return to work first and see if we can maintain control over the spread before we attempt non essential cultural settings such as large sporting events.

All that said, they will either cancel all, or compete with no fans. No way we are going to be allowed to travel, mingle and watch from a seat packed elbow to elbow.

I have hopes for an abbreviated spring sports agenda. Winter is gone. I can't see any rational scenario that would have allowed for winter sports champions to be crowned.

The point is...tell coaches and administrators the game plan... I'm sure all of you can think of issues that should be abswered...

if they try and resume basketball and wrestling season, will spring sports start the same time or after they complete tournament

You say some really stupid stuff lol. If the state is essentially on lockdown, there can be no game plan. What part of that don't you understand. They realistically waited as long as they could for winter sports. Now it's just sit back and ride it out and see what happens. Again, how do you expect the OHSAA to have any kind of game plan at this point? They don't know if/when schools will reopen. If schools close for the remainder of the year, which seems more and more likely, there is no way Spring sports happen....but at this point, there's no reason to rush the decision.

Governor DeWine has been signaling that all schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year. Would be surprised if he doesn't just say it during one of his pressers this week.

I’ve several teachers in my family. Their concern is how will these kids have the necessary skills to move onto the next grade. The bandaid put on a quarter of learning is just that, not the same as classroom teaching.

I’ve several teachers in my family. Their concern is how will these kids have the necessary skills to move onto the next grade. The bandaid put on a quarter of learning is just that, not the same as classroom teaching.

I'm interested to see, with the kids at home, trying to keep up with school work, if the attitude of many Ohioans that teachers are nothing more than lazy, overpaid baby sitters will change.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that we won't be talking about any high school sports until next basketball season!

With no vaccine in sight for the next 8-10 months we won't see this stay in place lifted until June/July. Then you still have to worry about large gatherings of people spreading still...as much as I love high school and college football, I will be shocked if we have football this Fall.

There will be football.
I hope you are right. But if I were a betting man right now with what the CDC and National Healthcare leaders are saying...I would bet against football being played. Especially since they think another outbreak of this will occur in the Fall.

I hope you are right. But if I were a betting man right now with what the CDC and National Healthcare leaders are saying...I would bet against football being played. Especially since they think another outbreak of this will occur in the Fall.
If school is in session their will be sports.

Still a lot of unknowns out there, but prepare for he most likely scenarios.

Mostly likely spring sports will be cancelled and schools will not resume until fall.
I would agree sports would be allowed when schools are open, but for the 2020-21 school year expect parents and immediate family only to be able to attend games. Mass gatherings seem unlikely until a high percentage of the population is vaccinated or has developed immunity.

No one has inside info on any of this because literally no on knows day by day. One thing that won't happen is an immediate return to how things were in one day sometime this spring or early summer.

Still a lot of unknowns out there, but prepare for he most likely scenarios.

Mostly likely spring sports will be cancelled and schools will not resume until fall.
I would agree sports would be allowed when schools are open, but for the 2020-21 school year expect parents and immediate family only to be able to attend games. Mass gatherings seem unlikely until a high percentage of the population is vaccinated or has developed immunity.

No one has inside info on any of this because literally no on knows day by day. One thing that won't happen is an immediate return to how things were in one day sometime this spring or early summer.
Its April 11. I am hearing from principals and superintendents to NOT expect sports to return as soon as school. Yet OHSAA says even spring sports may return in May and run through June.
I wonder if OHSAA is on same page as health officials? Dewine appears ready to follow health leadership more than OHSAA. I just hope fall sports happen as we will all be looking over our shoulder for the return of this virus.

Its April 11. I am hearing from principals and superintendents to NOT expect sports to return as soon as school. Yet OHSAA says even spring sports may return in May and run through June.
I wonder if OHSAA is on same page as health officials? Dewine appears ready to follow health leadership more than OHSAA. I just hope fall sports happen as we will all be looking over our shoulder for the return of this virus.
What an idiotic comment. The OHSAA isn't saying spring sports may return in May. They're saying IF they return in May, here's the schedule.

The schedule release was just a show by the OHSAA to say they didn't give up on spring sports when they cancelled the winter tournaments. They know there's a 0% chance that a spring sports season will happen. But they can say "look, we had a plan. We were optimistic, but it just isn't going to happen".

What an idiotic comment. The OHSAA isn't saying spring sports may return in May. They're saying IF they return in May, here's the schedule.

The schedule release was just a show by the OHSAA to say they didn't give up on spring sports when they cancelled the winter tournaments. They know there's a 0% chance that a spring sports season will happen. But they can say "look, we had a plan. We were optimistic, but it just isn't going to happen".

Exactly.

I hope they hold of as long as possible to cancel if that is where we are headed. The sooner they cancel the sooner people start freaking out about the fall. And at the current freak out rate there will be a demand to cancel fall sports by May, winter sports by June, and next spring by July.

Where is the idiotic part of the statement? The statement dealt with the difference between schools getting back in session and sports coming back once they are back in session. You did not address any portion of that relationship between the two. Perhaps reading comprehension issue?

Where is the idiotic part of the statement? The statement dealt with the difference between schools getting back in session and sports coming back once they are back in session. You did not address any portion of that relationship between the two. Perhaps reading comprehension issue?

Make no mistake, the OHSAA is following the directives of the Governor.

If there is no school, there is no sports.

From the press release dated 4/9/20 ....

“If the Governor and Ohio Department of Health deem it safe to reopen school facilities in early May, then we will have a shortened spring sports season that extends into June,” said OHSAA Executive Director Jerry Snodgrass

SPRING SPORTS OVERVIEW

• If school facilities are closed for the remainder of the school year, spring sports will be cancelled.
  • The dates below for each sport are tentative and are based on the Governor’s optimistic direction that schools will reopen May 4. We will adjust accordingly.
  • The mandatory no-contact period remains in place through May 1. No practices or group workouts may occur through this date, but the OHSAA encourages coaches to maintain electronic correspondence with their student-athletes.
  • With a current return on May 4, the schedules below have been adopted for spring sports. Specific information relative to sectional and district tournaments, playing dates, seeding procedures, game sites, will all be provided in communications from the respective six District Athletic Boards.
  • State tournament venues listed below are subject to change.