OHSAA High School Early Season Cross Country Invitational - August 15

OHSAA Cross Country Guideline:

Potential Covid-19 Protocol Mitigations for Meets of more than 3 teams

Before the Event:
1] Meet manager(s) to follow all Federal, State, Local government and Health Department(s)
Protocol(s)
2] Participating schools responsible for individual temperature check and health questions for all
their athletes and coaches before departure from school
3] Depending on government and health department regulations on meet day; at the very minimum, it
is strongly suggested (if not required) that all spectators wear masks when outside their private vehicles
4] Depending on government and health department regulations on meet day; at the very minimum, it
is strongly suggested (if not required) that when not in competition areas or when not preparing for or cooling down from competition that all athletes and coaches wear masks

5] All officials and workers will be masked throughout the day and those in close contact with others
will be gloved

6] It is recommended that all attending carry personal hand sanitizer and maintain social distancing
when possible
7] Social distancing areas will be designated in the 6,500 seat stadium (2019 attendance was 2,029)

Starting Area:

1] Starting line boxes wider to accommodate better spacing between runners
Extra spacing between team boxes
2] Runners will not be brought out by starter to give instructions—this will be accomplished through
written information in the coach’s packet and/or through hand held PA device
3] Runners will not be held on starting line for more than 10 seconds
4] Teams will be limited in number of starters (runners) in each race

During the Race:
1] Individual cups of water will be available at the 2 mile race point
Individuals handling water cups will be masked and wearing gloves
2] Close visual monitoring of athletes by all officials, workers, and athletic trainers
3] Athletes will be encouraged not to purposely touch or assist other runners during competition

After the Race:
1] Finish chute will be fan shaped into 4 separate finish zones
2] All finish workers will be masked and gloved
3] Only licensed and properly dressed medical personal will touch athletes in need of attention
4] Bottled water will be available for all finishers
5] Sufficient number of athletic trainers should be on site; along with two physicians (depending on the number of teams and entries
6] All surfaces that have potential for physical contact will be frequently sanitized
7] Disposable finish bib chips can be used
8] All competitors will be continuously encouraged not to purposely touch other competitors and/or
officials, and to keep moving through the recovery area to the exit

Specific Sport Med Athletic Staff Accommodations and Recommendations:
1] Medical Van should be parked as near to the finish line area as possible.
2] Four cooling tubs (depending on number of teams and entries) located under tenting near medical van.
3] Supply cool spray misting showers located at finish area—3 or 4 recommended depending on the number of teams and entries.
4] Local fire department EMT service to be pre-meet notified

Additional Notes

*Starting boxes should be a minimum of 10’ in width, with an additional 6 feet in between boxes for social distancing;
*Allow for multiple corrals at the end of the races so runners can feed into a less crowded area. This will not change the fact that you will still only need 1 finish line. Allow the finish chute to fan out in the back to allow for the multiple corrals;
*An average finish zone is approximately 15’. Recommend to increase that width (depending on the number of teams);
*Depending on the number of teams or entries, suggested 100 runners at one time, allowing for 25 runners in each corral.

Where is this posted at? The email we were sent today (From our AD and from the OHSAA) only had the same information that galesxc shared which was a different document than this? Thanks in advance!

It was like he cut and pasted information from other outlets.
Social distancing areas will be designated in the 6,500 seat stadium (2019 attendance was 2,029), like why is this statement in a general XC recommendations??
I bet these are recommendation he made for the pre-season meet. And figured he would pass on the same info to other schools hosting meets.

We are just going to have to get used to being required, or at least asked, to do things we feel aren't necessary or just stupid for awhile. As long as they aren't dangerous, let's just suck it up and do our best to do them.

You know this meet is right next to the county that recommended canceling fall sports and have remote learning. I can’t see this meet going on as scheduled and planned but who knows.

You know this meet is right next to the county that recommended canceling fall sports and have remote learning. I can’t see this meet going on as scheduled and planned but who knows.
I think there is no chance they have it. If it were a small meet maybe, but this is a very big meet with people from all over the state. One of the worse situations there can be. Maybe they limit the amount of teams allowed to participate? I don’t know. I’m hoping to have a season but it seems we need to start off small and hope for a post season.

They can absolutely have this meet. Youth baseball, softball and who knows what other events with multiple teams from around the state (and beyond) have been happening all summer. Is there evidence that these kids or their parents are contributing to COVID problems? Why should CC have to suddenly miss out when the baseball, etc crowd has forged ahead all summer?

They can absolutely have this meet. Youth baseball, softball and who knows what other events with multiple teams from around the state (and beyond) have been happening all summer. Is there evidence that these kids or their parents are contributing to COVID problems? Why should CC have to suddenly miss out when the baseball, etc crowd has forged ahead all summer?
My boys played travel baseball this summer. We spent every weekend in Columbus, Canton, Akron and Cleveland with 2,000+ people at many of these sports complexes/parks with multiple ball fields. No reason XC shouldn't happen.

My boys played travel baseball this summer. We spent every weekend in Columbus, Canton, Akron and Cleveland with 2,000+ people at many of these sports complexes/parks with multiple ball fields. No reason XC shouldn't happen.
Absolutely! Give CC coaches and athletes the chance that we all deserve and have worked so hard to prepare for. Nobody can tell me that we are less cautious and aware than the youth coaches with a bunch of kids that are 14 yo and under. It's time to quit looking for all the reasons that things cannot happen (there really aren't many) and imagine how we can make it work, and already are making it work with summer sessions. I feel the same way about the other fall sports.

Absolutely! Give CC coaches and athletes the chance that we all deserve and have worked so hard to prepare for. Nobody can tell me that we are less cautious and aware than the youth coaches with a bunch of kids that are 14 yo and under. It's time to quit looking for all the reasons that things cannot happen (there really aren't many) and imagine how we can make it work, and already are making it work with summer sessions. I feel the same way about the other fall sports.
I’m hoping for the same thing. It just seems like they are overly protective with school affiliated sports. Maybe worried about kids getting COVID-19 at a contest and then taking it back and spreading it to their school building. I don’t know. I think they should have the meets but don’t feel very positive about trusting the governor to make that decision. I think cases have gone up since they made the decision to have baseball but I really hope they continue sports as normal.

This is one of the major reasons why the experts say the virus is spreading. These people are bringing it with them to others that are more vulnerable who are getting sick.

I want to be optimistic but I have a feeling this week or next Dewine is going to shut all sports down, including these travel leagues. You can't justify these high school sports and travel sports are okay while colleges and the pros are cancelling their season. It's contradicts one another.

This is one of the major reasons why the experts say the virus is spreading. These people are bringing it with them to others that are more vulnerable who are getting sick.

I want to be optimistic but I have a feeling this week or next Dewine is going to shut all sports down, including these travel leagues. You can't justify these high school sports and travel sports are okay while colleges and the pros are cancelling their season. It's contradicts one another.
But for you guys on here that are the big math/stats experts... isn't there a big difference between a XC Invitational with 1,500 people spread out over a park/fairgrounds once a week and a MLB game with 40,000 people in a stadium for 4 straight days (homestand)?

Again, here is why XC is considered a high contact sport:
1595785290248.png

You're not wrong, but starts like that are very easy to get rid of if we are given parameters for the size of competition. My fear is that once schools declare they are virtual, they can't justify sports. I look at it a different way. Outdoor sports are much less risky than being in a classroom all day with a teacher or teachers that may be vulnerable and unable to distance themselves. This should be what is given to kids as an outlet after everything else has been taken away.

My god it must be painful to cry and whine so much. Stay home in your basement or go to Portland.

teachers that may be vulnerable and unable to distance themselves.
A teacher can very easily distance themselves. Stand in far corner when kids go in and out and after kids in desk stay 6-10 feet away from them in the front of classroom. If teacher worried enough get a plexiglass glass wall to stand behind. No of this is ideal but instead of looking for reasons not to do something look for ways for things to be done.

My god it must be painful to cry and whine so much. Stay home in your basement or go to Portland.
Hey stupid man101. I didn’t say I agree with it, I was stating what the experts and the higher ups are saying. That pic is the reason why they are considering xc a high contact sport. If you want to change their minds go attack them or show them your googled graphs.

I was actually at this race. All the health guidelines were met and 99% of the people were wearing face masks.
Since July 4, Lake County has had 3 in-person races, each with approximately 500 runners. From what I'm aware of,, there has not been a report of any positive tests coming from any of these races.
My neighbor told me yesterday at there daughters wedding a month ago, there has not been a single positive tests from any of the 275 guests at the inside wedding. He said there was zero social distancing with lots of dancing.
So... we can have 300 person weddings inside, but we can't have XC races of 75-400 people outside?

I was actually at this race. All the health guidelines were met and 99% of the people were wearing face masks.

I was curious so I looked up the race guidelines. It said waves of 25 and that looked like more than 25 but if no positive tests previously, that's good news.

I would agree if you can have 300 people indoor at a wedding, you should be able to have XC especially if the start is spread out.

I was curious so I looked up the race guidelines. It said waves of 25 and that looked like more than 25 but if no positive tests previously, that's good news.

I would agree if you can have 300 people indoor at a wedding, you should be able to have XC especially if the start is spread out.
It was more than 25... probably 50-75.

What I love, in the middle of a pandemic, is that if someone tells a story about how their daughter-in-law died of the virus along with an unborn child, it is dismissed as anecdotal and not really worthwhile. She had to have another underlying medical issue that would have killed her that day anyway. "We had a wedding and no one died" is proof positive. All the tracing has been done of course. No one had symptoms and every person that every person at the wedding came in contact with and all the people that came in contact with those people have not had a single issue. 10 levels deep. Verified it myself. Not anecdotal. Scientific proof! Well, maybe one person traveled to Florida and is wiping out a hundred people a day. Those people should have stayed at home.

I was at that race and all the safety measures were followed. Except for the ones you can clearly see that are not being followed in the picture. I'm sure that won't get back to people making decisions. School sports can happen because everyone is doing exactly what we are asking them to do. Just these exceptions in these pictures here. But, these are the only ones. I promise.

It's all going great. Texas and Florida have real good leadership and are doing a fantastic job. Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

And volleyball is a non-contact sport?
View attachment 8636
Have you looked at the differences in both pictures? Lol. Even the video you shared has 50+ people all grouped together shoulder to shoulder that will be breathing heavily in the next few seconds while I see three volleyball players from two different schools that are only close for brief seconds.

I agree though volleyball being indoors is a big concern. Indoor track is doomed in the winter if things don’t get better. That has to be the worst conditions to compete.

Have you looked at the differences in both pictures? Lol. Even the video you shared has 50+ people all grouped together shoulder to shoulder that will be breathing heavily in the next few seconds while I see three volleyball players from two different schools that are only close for brief seconds.

I agree though volleyball being indoors is a big concern. Indoor track is doomed in the winter if things don’t get better. That has to be the worst conditions to compete.
OK. You guys have convinced me. Let's not have XC this fall.

I am not trying to convince anyone to not have XC in the fall and have never said that. I'm saying all the info that has been sent out by the experts is saying its not going to be possible if we want to stop this from spreading (congregating, unable to social distance, athletes bringing it home to their loved ones). They are calling the shots.

Call it a hoax or overblown...it doesn't matter. It's out of our hands.

What I love, in the middle of a pandemic, is that if someone tells a story about how their daughter-in-law died of the virus along with an unborn child, it is dismissed as anecdotal and not really worthwhile. She had to have another underlying medical issue that would have killed her that day anyway. "We had a wedding and no one died" is proof positive. All the tracing has been done of course. No one had symptoms and every person that every person at the wedding came in contact with and all the people that came in contact with those people have not had a single issue. 10 levels deep. Verified it myself. Not anecdotal. Scientific proof! Well, maybe one person traveled to Florida and is wiping out a hundred people a day. Those people should have stayed at home.

I was at that race and all the safety measures were followed. Except for the ones you can clearly see that are not being followed in the picture. I'm sure that won't get back to people making decisions. School sports can happen because everyone is doing exactly what we are asking them to do. Just these exceptions in these pictures here. But, these are the only ones. I promise.

It's all going great. Texas and Florida have real good leadership and are doing a fantastic job. Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.
Give us all a break. Perfection in our response isn't the goal, or even possible. You seem so miserable. Is that even fun?