OHSAA High School Early Season Cross Country Invitational - August 15

runohio

FYI
The OHSAA is planning to host the ninth annual “OHSAA High School Early Season Cross Country Invitational” on August 15, 2020.

There will be THREE race formats for both boys and girls competition:
• 5000 meter scored team race
• 5000 meter open race
• 2.5 mile open race
Schools may enter a maximum of 10 runners in the 5000 meter scored team race, 10 runners in the 5000 meter open race and 30 runners in the 2.5 mile open race. Schools with less than five runners may enter the scored team race as individual competitors or the open race which are not scored. Total number of competitors from each school may not exceed 100 (50 boys & 50 girls).
Team Entry Fees Per School: 5 to 10 runners per race
$100 – One race entered with 5 or more competitors
$170 – Two races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($80 per race)
$250 – Three races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($80 per race)
$300 – Four races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($75 per race)
$375 – Five races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($75 per race)
$450 – Six races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($75 per race)

So you would have to assume they have a map since last year the race was 3200 and this year it is advertised as 2.5 miles. Maybe that is how it worked out with what they had available to finish at the same place as the 5k.

Mr. Slippery

Nevermind the FinishTiming link I posted earlier. The info posted there is mixed. It lists the date of August 15, 2020, but it also lists the location as National Trail Raceway.

If you look at the limited info on the OHSAA's website, it mentions a 2.25 mile race, not a 2.5 mile race.

One of my OATCCC contacts told me that the new race director had a course but it had the start far away and some other imperfections. They are fixing those to make it best they can at that venue for runners, fans, and coaches. It may or may not be finished by this point. My convrsation was 2-3 weeks ago.

Mr. Slippery

One of my OATCCC contacts told me that the new race director had a course but it had the start far away and some other imperfections. They are fixing those to make it best they can at that venue for runners, fans, and coaches. It may or may not be finished by this point. My convrsation was 2-3 weeks ago.
Do we know who the new race director is?

Do we know who the new race director is?
He was not someone I know of. He lives in the Olentangy area and is a friend of one of the OHSAA commissioners or staff. He does not have a background in XC. These are according to my one OATCCC source. That might be why someone is correcting the start from being very far from everything else.

psycho_dad

It is a bit off putting that in this day and age that they would make a decision to move the venue, and not have a course map sent out to coaches a month later. So, did they just look at the site and say, "yep, looks like we can make that work." but not take any time to actually figure out the course? Can that be possible? Or, are they just not taking the time to put it out there for us? It's like a 30 minute thing if that. I'm thinking there might be a few people with some time on their hands that could get it done. Find some our of work 12 year old and it will be done with a virtual tour in about an hour.

Supertramp

It is a bit off putting that in this day and age that they would make a decision to move the venue, and not have a course map sent out to coaches a month later. So, did they just look at the site and say, "yep, looks like we can make that work." but not take any time to actually figure out the course? Can that be possible? Or, are they just not taking the time to put it out there for us? It's like a 30 minute thing if that. I'm thinking there might be a few people with some time on their hands that could get it done. Find some our of work 12 year old and it will be done with a virtual tour in about an hour.
I agree with this. How do you announce a CC venue change for the State Cross-Country meet and not accompany that with a course map?

runohio

Fotress Obetz officials called the OHSAA to see if they could host any soccer or football games. The OHSAA asked it they could host the State CC Championships and Fortress Obetz said yes ( I am sure they didn't have a course and as mentioned earlier when they came up with a course there were a few problems they had to address - not sure if they fixed the issues yet).

The course map is done but not allowed to post yet due to people going to facility to run the course since the park is open. There have already been a lot of teams/individuals running around the grounds (with some even hopping fences). I have not seen it yet but was told it was being finished last week. Terry Oerhtman is still meet manager.

The course map is done but not allowed to post yet due to people going to facility to run the course since the park is open. There have already been a lot of teams/individuals running around the grounds (with some even hopping fences). I have not seen it yet but was told it was being finished last week. Terry Oerhtman is still meet manager.
I had lunch with my OATCCC contact yesterday and he said that Terry will act as a liason to the new meet manager this year and be out of it next year. He also said the map hasn't come out yet because of what you mentioned, teams going in without social distancing and climbing fences during hours when it is not open to the public. The original course design was not overly fan friendly and now has both 1600 and 3200 splits right in front ot the grandstand.

I think my source has some credible information and contacts but could always be mistaken.