OHSAA extending 2021 playoffs to 12 teams per region

There has already been 16 teams from a region making the playoffs [ 2013-15 D1] :whistle:

If schools are worried by the number of potential games played in a season; only schedule 8 or 9 in the regular season- "problem" solved

There has already been 16 teams from a region making the playoffs [ 2013-15 D1] :whistle:

If schools are worried by the number of potential games played in a season; only schedule 8 or 9 in the regular season- "problem" solved
That shouldn’t be a concern for anybody. The teams are gonna play 16 games are going to be well oiled machines.

Interestingly, it could really help attendance. You will get more teams who may rarely experience the playoffs. Twice as many home games for the Iplayoffs. Players, coaches, and fans from the team with a bye are much more likely to go watch their future opponent in week 11.

I know that many don't like this but it is going to add alot of excitement for football those first two weekends. I suspect that week 11 in 2021 will set records for how many people show up on this site.
I know personally if my team is fortunate to get a bye week 11 I would be attending another local team who would be playing that weekend.

The OHSAA has to find a way to stay afloat after losing the winter and spring tournaments. Football and Basketball are easy tournaments to manage and sell tickets to and make money from. It does not take a lot of planning or imagination or hard work. If I was football, I'd take the 12 teams teams expansion for Regional playoffs and just be happy. If football doesn't happen or can't pull in more money, then the OHSAA will have to look at other sports to make money and once that happens, football may not be the sacred cow anymore. There is a lot of money to be made with Cross Country and Track and Field if the tournaments were run by people that wanted and needed that to happen. Need Soccer to make more money, I'm sure they can put some effort into making that happen and once it does, that could be effort not put into football anymore.

I still don't understand how "making the tournament" is put up on the mantel as an accomplishment. Why would it be any less of an accomplishment to make it through to the second game of the tournament. Would winning the region be any less of an accomplishment? Isn't winning your league an accomplishment? I think people know what an accomplishment is. I don't see kids in other sports boasting that they made the tournament. Just winning it.

The more I have thought about this the more I like it. The incentive to be in the top 8 is you get a home game. Will be great for some of these regions that are loaded, it will make it fun to watch. I also think that it will drum up more following and excitement for the playoffs with more teams involved.

Should be fun, embrace the change!

I think with D-1 having the smallest number of teams 8 is { Was} a good number. 12 in other divisions seems ok as some legit play-off teams are left out every year . What I do think should happen in some other sports is LESSENING the number of teams making it. Why does everyone make the field ? Basketball baseball and soccer in particular see some ridiculous match-ups and scores in games that shouldn't be played where no one benefits from it { OK Some $$} Scores like 91- 12 73- 8 in hoops , Soccer games 14-0 15-2 { I used to see Coffman girls soccer just pull kids off the field using 9 kids then 8 down to 7 eventually when playing in the first round and still had the ball most of the time not trying to score anymore never ran it up badly} Do we need a last place city league team playing a first place OCC school in baseball ? Tighten that up , it's embarrassing . I grew up in a state where you had to win 70 percent of your games to make the tournament in hockey and baseball You could get in with less than that if you came in second in your league , it went down to 55 percent a few years after I got out of school . [Football had a computer system much like the harbin }

I get the extra revenue from the extra football play off games , but I would draw a line in the other sports

Last edited:
Reactions: y2h

Nobody is going to cut back on the number of games they play in a regular season that is their gate money the playoffs schools only get a small portion. 16 games is too many for a H.S. kid, colleges do not even play that many but who cares about what's best for the players involved.

Nobody is going to cut back on the number of games they play in a regular season that is their gate money the playoffs schools only get a small portion. 16 games is too many for a H.S. kid, colleges do not even play that many but who cares about what's best for the players involved.

Sensing that this is a change to match the IHSAA model. Soon it will be fewer regular season games to have an all-in format. The higher seeds getting to host and I'm sure they'll discuss how to increase the school's portion of gate money. Just keep it seeded if you go that route.

Here is a novel idea, want to get people interested in H.S. football, create better play off match ups, to do that less divisions. No one is interested in watching another MAC school destroy some hapless team on the east side of the state. More is not better.

Hopefully Kirtland and Ursuline are laughing at your hubris.

The OHSAA has to find a way to stay afloat after losing the winter and spring tournaments. Football and Basketball are easy tournaments to manage and sell tickets to and make money from. It does not take a lot of planning or imagination or hard work. If I was football, I'd take the 12 teams teams expansion for Regional playoffs and just be happy. If football doesn't happen or can't pull in more money, then the OHSAA will have to look at other sports to make money and once that happens, football may not be the sacred cow anymore. There is a lot of money to be made with Cross Country and Track and Field if the tournaments were run by people that wanted and needed that to happen. Need Soccer to make more money, I'm sure they can put some effort into making that happen and once it does, that could be effort not put into football anymore.

I still don't understand how "making the tournament" is put up on the mantel as an accomplishment. Why would it be any less of an accomplishment to make it through to the second game of the tournament. Would winning the region be any less of an accomplishment? Isn't winning your league an accomplishment? I think people know what an accomplishment is. I don't see kids in other sports boasting that they made the tournament. Just winning it.
Because most other sports everyone gets in, of course.

The number one goal of teams is to make the playoffs.

Plain and simple.

Many will say their first goal is to win the league, but I bet you would be hard pressed to find many people who say if they had a choice of A. Winning their league and not making the playoffs or B. Not winning their league but making the playoffs they would choose B.

Obviously, winning the league goes a very long way in making the playoffs, but that postseason is still the bread and butter of the sport, and what people remember and revel in.

Getting into the playoff is a huge accomplishment for many places. Where I come from it has become the norm, and people take it for granted, but for many kids making the playoffs is something they strive for. I will never ridicule a school for celebrating a playoff berth. It may be no big deal to some, but for many it is.

(Kudos to the name, if indeed that is a reference to Married with Children)

This just helped conferences again. Larger conferences won't feel the pressure to schedule more OOC games. Heck #12 gets, in some cases, a couple of 4-6 or 5-5 teams.

Basketball baseball and soccer in particular see some ridiculous match-ups and scores in games that shouldn't be played where no one benefits from it { OK Some $$} Scores like 91- 12 73- 8 in hoops , Soccer games 14-0 15-2
I think the OHSAA may be heading in this direction. In the past in the NE district, basketball seeded the teams and then let them choose where to place themselves in the bracket. What happened alot of times, the #1 seed decided to take a first round home game and the lowest seed had to come to their place to play. In the second round, the #1 seed hosted the second lowest seed. This was because all the other teams avoided that top seed. Usualy two blowout games in a row. Now the NE brackets teams based on their seeding. With 12 teams, the #9 seed plays at the #8 seed. The winner then plays at the #1 seed. Two different teams get home games. The first game is usually close and the second is reasonable with occasional upsets. IMO, this makes the basketball tournament much better.

This football matchup looks much the same. Good matchups at the higher seed in the first round. Second round should be better because marginal teams that played weak schedules and snuck into the top 8 will get exposed by lower seeds that were barely kept out in the past. The second round games will still be won by a majority of higher seeds but the score margins should be a little closer. But the biggest thing is that twice as many High Schools will be hosting a playoff football game in 2021 and no one will be playing two home games (except McKinley if they make the state championship).

I have a new format idea that I believe would work well and isn’t very complicated.

1. Get rid of pre-season regions
2. The top 32 in computer points per division make the playoffs
3. Create 4 regions Per division after week 10 based on the top 32 teams geography
4. Seed the teams 1-8 like they do now and play.

This would eliminate teams with 11 points making it in one region while teams with 19 points are left out in a another region.

I have a new format idea that I believe would work well and isn’t very complicated.

1. Get rid of pre-season regions
2. The top 32 in computer points per division make the playoffs
3. Create 4 regions Per division after week 10 based on the top 32 teams geography
4. Seed the teams 1-8 like they do now and play.

This would eliminate teams with 11 points making it in one region while teams with 19 points are left out in a another region.
What I’ve been saying for YEARS

A team that is making it to the state championship to play 15 or 16 games is going to have quite a few games with running clocks and maybe even a couple that are such blowouts that the starters don't even play the 2nd half. This really lessens the pounding a player will take during a 15 or 16 game season.

Every team gets in the playoffs in the other sports, theres nothing to brag about.

If it's legal to "hold" a scrimmage until after the season starts or before the playoffs (which with a potentially shortened preseason, it'd be easier to do), I could see many coaches who think their teams are high-seed contenders doing the joint practice/scrimmage idea, analogous to what NFL teams do in the second/third week of the preseason. The caviat here is that these bye teams in Week 11 would have to partner with a team not in their division (e.g. D1 Solon could go against D2 Hudson), so as not risk revealing too much to an opponent. With conferences aligned as they are, this shouldn't be too difficult.
The rule could be changed, but currently scrimmages must be completed before the week of the first game. The 2020 scrimmage dates are August 8-22. The first Friday game is August 28.

THIS HAS ZERO TO DO WITH CROWNING A CHAMPION. THIS IS TO RECOUP LOST REVENUE. THIS IS A MONEY GRAB. PERIOD.
First, it's about including more teams in the playoffs.

Second, so what if the OHSAA makes a little more money?

Last edited:
Bad mistake. I know some of you want football all year round but IMO the season starts to early and ends to late.
I mostly agree, but I would have preferred to see a couple of more divisions instead of another round of playoff games. 16 games is a long season.

Is that why teams take byes so often in the regular season instead of playing club teams?
My comment was meant to be specifically about the new HS football playoff system.

I have never heard of a high school football team scheduling a bye week, except that sometimes a scheduled opponent cancels the game or their season, and the other team has difficulty scheduling a replacement.

Maybe it ultimately passed because the OHSAA is looking to make more money, but not sure. It was in works for a while, discussed last season, and promoted by coach's association.

Every team gets in the playoffs in the other sports, theres nothing to brag about.
There is nothing to brag about in making the playoffs in football either. It's a messed up system when, as people have stated here, that it's better to finish 2nd in your league and make the playoffs than win your league and not make playoffs. It's all about scheduling. You have situations where teams beat other teams head to head and the losing team gets into the playoffs over the winning team. Winning the Region would be an accomplishment, but getting into the playoffs shouldn't be. Too bad that your quarterback was injured the first 3 games, but you ran the table when he came back. Tough luck that 2 teams in your league stink this year and beating them means nothing. You need to get out of that league. I see teams in our Region that don't have a single common opponent where a 7-3 record gets you 2nd and also 14th. 7-3 puts you ahead of 10-0. 8-2 was good enough to get you 13th 6-3 gets 4th. Somehow not playing a game is better than playing and winning a game. I also see where teams have common opponents and the difference in making the playoffs is the two non common opponents.

Just use the same ridiculous computer system but let top 16 in and let the games sort it out then brag about winning the region. Make your league matter again. Allow teams to schedule without points being the only consideration. Why are so many of you so afraid of taking one extra week to let games determine the top 8 teams? Don't see how it lessens anything. It doesn't even have to be an extra week of the season. It's just exchanging one non conference game for a different game.

I think it's time we get rid of "conferences" and just have six classifications with the state updating regions (8 per classification) every two years.

There is nothing to brag about in making the playoffs in football either. It's a messed up system when, as people have stated here, that it's better to finish 2nd in your league and make the playoffs than win your league and not make playoffs. It's all about scheduling. You have situations where teams beat other teams head to head and the losing team gets into the playoffs over the winning team. Winning the Region would be an accomplishment, but getting into the playoffs shouldn't be. Too bad that your quarterback was injured the first 3 games, but you ran the table when he came back. Tough luck that 2 teams in your league stink this year and beating them means nothing. You need to get out of that league. I see teams in our Region that don't have a single common opponent where a 7-3 record gets you 2nd and also 14th. 7-3 puts you ahead of 10-0. 8-2 was good enough to get you 13th 6-3 gets 4th. Somehow not playing a game is better than playing and winning a game. I also see where teams have common opponents and the difference in making the playoffs is the two non common opponents.

Just use the same ridiculous computer system but let top 16 in and let the games sort it out then brag about winning the region. Make your league matter again. Allow teams to schedule without points being the only consideration. Why are so many of you so afraid of taking one extra week to let games determine the top 8 teams? Don't see how it lessens anything. It doesn't even have to be an extra week of the season. It's just exchanging one non conference game for a different game.
Of course it's an accomplishment (or was). Something you have to earn. Instead of expanding the football playoffs they should be tightening the other team sport playoffs. Do we really need a 1,2,3 win basketball team in the tournament? Baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball?