OHSAA - Enough with Mason!

Next weeks game will be at Mason also. Guess EHS fan02 hoping Elder doesn’t win this week. Outside of Cincinnati 275 Loop?? You want the game played inside the 275 loop, might as well be played at Elder or X. I myself can’t stand the wind at Mason but it’s obviously the best venue of the options given to the OHSAA. As someone already stated in another thread, “days of Double Header at Nippert are gone with Friday games.”

Pboy Forever,OSP NEVER!!!

I will agree with everyone that Mason is better than UD. Should be a great game. I hope Elder fans show up.

I hear that argument all the time, but it is all hearsay until you put another game at UC. I don't know about 20,000, but I think attendance would be double what you will see at Mason. I'm shocked Elder/X representatives didn't get together to push for UC.
I wouldn't call it hearsay when the Pit's 10,000 hasn't been sold out in years. If the time comes where Elder sells out a venue for the post season and there is a significant number of people trying to get in at the gate and cannot, then it justifies a 35k seat stadium. Until then, 7,000 will suffice.

Also, who will pick up the tab to rent Nippert? They aren't going to do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

I hear that argument all the time, but it is all hearsay until you put another game at UC. I don't know about 20,000, but I think attendance would be double what you will see at Mason. I'm shocked Elder/X representatives didn't get together to push for UC.

Dwindling crowds and increased costs in recent years have made it an unwise business proposition for both UC and the OHSAA. (it has to work for both)

It's not 2009 any longer. These games just don't bring 15K like they did 15-20 years ago.

You can watch it online for $10. Nice warm and comfy without having to drive to Mason.... cheaper too !!

I actually agree with this from a central location and size perspective. Parking is terrible, concessions are terrible, nothing in Clifton is convenient. Mason has a great setup, just a bit of a drive.

Parking is sufficient for 40,000 on Saturdays, I am sure it can handle 15,000 on a Friday night.
Concessions are no better nor any worse than any other high school or college game I have been to.
All kinds of great stuff in Clifton within half a mile of the stadium.
However, I doubt UC put in a bid to host. The impetus would have to come from the outside.

The last three or four Regional finals have been at Mason and none have Sold Out. Like someone said earlier until they sell out and thousands are left outside the gates, Nippert isn't needed. Mason has more than enough room. Sorry West siders, dust off your passport and leave Price Hill for once.

The last three or four Regional finals have been at Mason and none have Sold Out. Like someone said earlier until they sell out and thousands are left outside the gates, Nippert isn't needed. Mason has more than enough room. Sorry West siders, dust off your passport and leave Price Hill for once.

We'll never know, but the common denominator is the game being at Mason. That is the reason the games are not selling out.

A meme for the kids.

Attachments

• 7A3F0080-204B-465E-A70E-66C7A4878EF4.jpeg
    7A3F0080-204B-465E-A70E-66C7A4878EF4.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
I actually like that. I'd be fine Elder-X being at Colerain.
So you who wants it at Nippert would be fine with the game at Colerain where the seating capacity is under half of Mason? Colerain would be great for travel for the teams, but that's it. Poor concessions and restroom set up, and who gets to sit in those terrible visitor stands at Colerain?

There are some absolute gem stadiums in SW Ohio, but none of my favorites would work. Barnitz Stadium in Middletown is an amazing place to watch football, but nobody want to travel to Middletown. I love Shea Stadium in Norwood, but it's a touch too small and seating only on 1 side, people lose their minds over that for some reason. Parking also is a huge issue. Withrow has the prettiest stadium and plenty big enough, but again, seating only on 1 side, which people can't seem to handle for some reason.

Again Mason will be fine, traffic sucks everywhere on a Friday evening, you Westsiders should know this from driving Queen City, Glenway, or Harrison.

Elder vs X at Colerain or Fairfield

Colerain vs Fairfield at X or Elder.

Simple

You're being sarcastic here right?

Mason is clearly a much better choice then FF, Elder or Colerain. And with X playig that night hosting a playoff game seems dumb and unfair to X folks who would have to work the stadium and miss the game.

FF doesn't have the right symmetry for a D1 playoff game. No room on the visitors with plenty on the home side.

Colerain's "hill" which is great for an overflow crowd in September I suspect is a potential mud slide in November. Not to mention inadequate seating, rest room and concession facilities.

As for Elder it comes down to: location, location, location. There is NO way FF or Colerain fans would rather drive down to the Pit then go to Princeton or Mason.

I remember someone saying that UC can't host games in certain months anymore because of new recruiting rules and that's why the crosstown shootout games aren't there anymore. Also noticed that there is not a SINGLE college campus location hosting a game this coming weekend. Coincidence?

I remember someone saying that UC can't host games in certain months anymore because of new recruiting rules and that's why the crosstown shootout games aren't there anymore. Also noticed that there is not a SINGLE college campus location hosting a game this coming weekend. Coincidence?
No. High school venues cost less to use than college venues. That is the reason.

This love affair with Mason's football stadium as a host for playoff games must end. Why are not other school's bidding on these games? Mason is a wind tunnel. It is not a place to host playoff games in the November. It is a terrible place to watch the game with the wind and the track between the fields. The stands are a good 40 yards from the field. Mason is NOT in Cincinnati. It is north outside of the 275 loop. When Mason is announced as a playoff site you hear groans from both teams. No one wants to play there. I'm not saying this just because Elder is playing there. It is the same if it was Colerain-X or Fairfield-X. Get these games out of Mason!!!
i would concur....i have coached in a playoff game at mason....windy as H.E. double hockey sticks...

All of those scenarios, does anyone know if Colerain, Elder, X, Fairfield, or what other schools have attempted to host?

To be honest, I don’t have a problem with the Panthers playing at Mason. Sure, it has an eight-lane track around the field, but so do a lot of other stadiums where the Panthers have played, including Winton Woods, Princeton, and Gahanna Lincoln (LaSalle has a six-lane track). You have to admit, Mason has plenty of easy parking; the $5 fee they will charge is the maximum allowed by the OHSAA. On the other hand, I must confess I do not know if the food is any good; I’ll probably check out a dog and burger.
Last year against Colerain, it was in the upper 30s at kickoff with a bit of a steady breeze. I remember thinking to myself, at least the wind is at my back. As the higher seed, I guess X will get the home side, so if the wind is blowing again it almost certainly will be at our backs and in their faces. Although I really wasn’t cold last year, this year I know a bit more and will bring a blanket and be plenty warm.
As for Hamilton, it also has an eight-lane track, and parking is nowhere near as good as at Mason.
Finally, google maps says it takes 13 minutes to drive from Visi to Elder. For the trip from Visi to Mason, it pegs the drive at 39 minutes; add 5-10 minutes for rush hour slowdowns, and you have a drive of 44-49 minutes, which is only 31-36 minutes longer than driving from Visi to The Pit. Personally, I do not consider driving an extra 36 minutes (of course your time may vary) to watch the Panthers eliminate X to be driving “far” or even approaching “far.” That said, playing the game at Mason will save me about 25 minutes over driving to The Pit, and about 50 minutes total round trip; that’s another reason I don’t mind driving to Mason.

To be honest, I don’t have a problem with the Panthers playing at Mason. Sure, it has an eight-lane track around the field, but so do a lot of other stadiums where the Panthers have played, including Winton Woods, Princeton, and Gahanna Lincoln (LaSalle has a six-lane track). You have to admit, Mason has plenty of easy parking; the $5 fee they will charge is the maximum allowed by the OHSAA. On the other hand, I must confess I do not know if the food is any good; I’ll probably check out a dog and burger.
Last year against Colerain, it was in the upper 30s at kickoff with a bit of a steady breeze. I remember thinking to myself, at least the wind is at my back. As the higher seed, I guess X will get the home side, so if the wind is blowing again it almost certainly will be at our backs and in their faces. Although I really wasn’t cold last year, this year I know a bit more and will bring a blanket and be plenty warm.
As for Hamilton, it also has an eight-lane track, and parking is nowhere near as good as at Mason.
Finally, google maps says it takes 13 minutes to drive from Visi to Elder. For the trip from Visi to Mason, it pegs the drive at 39 minutes; add 5-10 minutes for rush hour slowdowns, and you have a drive of 44-49 minutes, which is only 31-36 minutes longer than driving from Visi to The Pit. Personally, I do not consider driving an extra 36 minutes (of course your time may vary) to watch the Panthers eliminate X to be driving “far” or even approaching “far.” That said, playing the game at Mason will save me about 25 minutes over driving to The Pit, and about 50 minutes total round trip; that’s another reason I don’t mind driving to Mason.
Skip the food at the stadium and eat before hand- City BBQ is a hearty option. Go for the hot chocolate while you freeze in the stands instead.