OHSAA Early Season...Race Times

Does anybody have any insight into the race times for the Aug 21 OHSAA Early Season Cross Country Invitational?
Some of us have over a 2-hour drive and might need hotel rooms. I have emailed them 2 times without a response.

1628542316346.png

Only thing I did not like about the course last year was entering the stadium from the start. The gravel was much too big. My opinion might change as there are bigger crowds, but it was a good place. I'm concerned about parking and access, but again, have to wait and see once there is a more standard crowd.

I was in Bay Village yesterday morning and the Bay boys CC team was out running. I asked if they were ready for Woodridge this year. They were not as enthusiastic answering the question as I was asking it. Looked like a good number of kids. It was early and it was already hot and I'm sure they did not enjoy some old guy being excited to see CC kids out running at 8:30 am.

I was in Bay Village yesterday morning and the Bay boys CC team was out running. I asked if they were ready for Woodridge this year. They were not as enthusiastic answering the question as I was asking it. Looked like a good number of kids. It was early and it was already hot and I'm sure they did not enjoy some old guy being excited to see CC kids out running at 8:30 am.
Dang whippersnappers, lol.

I know you’d expressed some concern last year, especially about that first turn into the stadium. I certainly hope everything goes well today, both for the athletes and the fans. Stay hydrated!

Does anyone know how accurate the 2.5 mile course is? Valley View boys had only one athlete under 19:00 returning and won this race, averaging 5:19 pace. If this is an accurate course, this team has made great improvements.

Does anyone know how accurate the 2.5 mile course is? Valley View boys had only one athlete under 19:00 returning and won this race, averaging 5:19 pace. If this is an accurate course, this team has made great improvements.
I would think it had to be short. The kid that won race with a 12:23 had PR last year of 4:52-1600, 11:10-3200 and 20:18-5k. It would be great if he improved that much but hard time believing he can now run sub 5 per mile over 2.5 miles on grass on a very hot day.

D1 girls race was an anticipated showdown vs the defending D1 State XC champ from Centerville, Mia Robillard, and the D1 3200 meter run champ from last spring, Alyssa Shope from Gahanna Lincoln. Shope totally dominated that 3200 at State in very hot conditions, winning by 13 seconds in 10:32, so I was anticipating a serious challenge by Shope to take the win. But…the girl from Olmsted Falls, Katie Clute, took charge just before the mile mark and ran away from everyone. I had forgotten she won indoor State last year in the 3200 in 10:38 as a sophomore before getting injured outdoor. Look out for the third place finisher though. A frosh from Dublin Jerome, Milly Leonard. Nineteen seconds off the win, but running 18:49 in her HS debut, and in hot, humid conditions is pretty darn impressive. She‘s gonna be exciting to watch!

2.25 seems more likely.
Meet officials said the 2.5 mile races were actually only 2.1 miles and admitted it was their mistake but didn't do anything to change the course or publish it as such other then telling some of the coaches.

Meet officials said the 2.5 mile races were actually only 2.1 miles and admitted it was their mistake but didn't do anything to change the course or publish it as such other then telling some of the coaches.
:rolleyes: Typical OHSAA money grab in a "minor" sport.

:rolleyes: Typical OHSAA money grab in a "minor" sport.
You didn't figure that out 9 or 10 years ago when the OHSAA began hosting this meet?

Can we please get back to overanalyzing the preseason meet results, so that we can crown all of the individual and team champions 10 weeks before the actual state meet?

You didn't figure that out 9 or 10 years ago when the OHSAA began hosting this meet?

Can we please get back to overanalyzing the preseason meet results, so that we can crown all of the individual and team champions 10 weeks before the actual state meet?
Absolutely! First off, congratulations to the Loveland girls, this year's early nominee for the 2021 Lakota West Award for "Team that didn't qualify for last year's state meet that might win it this year." They had some injuries last year, but if they can stay healthy they should definitely be in the mix for a podium finish in November. On the boys side Davidson reaffirmed their position as one of the top teams in the state, although Solon wasn't on many people's radar screen but has a fairly tight 1-5 pack and is worth keeping an eye on. But most importantly it was nice to see a normal start to the season since this meet didn't even happen last year.

Thanks for the info. Time to let schools have their own meets on this date if they choose to.

Marlington looked to be at full strength Boys D2 and they look good but not great at this point. Unioto looked to be running their top 5 returners from last year and they also look like they have some work to do. Very very early, but it gives a team like Woodridge some hope.

Thanks for the info. Time to let schools have their own meets on this date if they choose to.
The whole reason this meet is on this date is to not conflict with any other schools meet and give an opportunity to run the state meet course (they started this when it moved to hebron and needed to see how the course was going to play out). They had thought about having it during the season but did not want to take away from existing meets. There is no real reason to have any other meets this early as we are seeing now with the heat this week all these early bird meets are either changing distances or moving back their times if not cancelling all together.

Is for OHSAA to make money. Having other meets that weekend would take away some of that money and OHSAA is not going to let that happen.

I am no fan of much of the way OHSAA conducts itself but what Finishtiming said is accurate. I remember having a conversation with Terry Ortman who was the meet manager when they first introduced the meet. OHSAA wanted the meet the first weekend of allowable competition. Terry persuaded them to push it back a week. He thought that with the new course (moving to NTR from Scioto Downs) everyone would want to come run it and it would decimate many of the meets already scheduled on that date.

What you are saying about taking money from OHSAA is true but it is not why they moved to their own weekend in the inception.

I have no problem with the meet itself, but at least make sure each race is run on an accurate course.