OHSAA Early Season Invitational

Race sizes seemed good yesterday, but I noticed that the D2 and D3 teams from central Ohio seemed to be staying away.
I have taken a team there every year since it started, but we are re-evaluating the value of keeping this race on our schedule for next year as well.

It was so hot again this year. I fear the heat there every year, even had to go on an ambulance once with an athlete who suffered heat exhaustion. We go to check out the course and work on visualization. Not really worried about the race per say. The course was good for two miles. That last mile was one mile straight down and back...everyone was dying in that heat. Times were slow, and i think it may have been long. Conveniently ended right where it always does. We may not go back, been there for years...anyone else’s thoughts on the course and distance yesterday? Would love to know from anyone else who ran those later races in that heat. On to the next week!

Race sizes seemed good yesterday, but I noticed that the D2 and D3 teams from central Ohio seemed to be staying away.
I have taken a team there every year since it started, but we are re-evaluating the value of keeping this race on our schedule for next year as well.
The D1 boys and girls races had a lot of decent teams from all over the state.

Don't most coaches use this meet as sort of a "scrimmage" or something to "dust off the rust" and to see where everyone on the team is and what may need to be done? Something to help guide future training? If you're considering not attending in the future are you going to consider a different meet? I would think that coaches need to consider if the meet has value in terms of training and preparation for the season.

It's a three hour drive, to run 2 miles along a cement wall, in a less than inspiring facility, no thanks.
Slow times in the heat? Madeira's had 3 under 17:18 in the D2 race to easily win over Carroll

I Girls - Lakota East stuns Mason by two, 96-98
DI Boys - Solon 73 - didn't make it to state last year, hungry to get there this year.
DII Boys - Madeira - 53 - off to another strong start early, don't want a repeat of last year's 17th place at state.
DII Girls - Ontario 40 - 5th at state last year, hope for better things this year
DIII Girls - Madeira - combined DII and III, strange that the boys ran in the all DII race but the girls didn't
DIII Boys - Maplewood - wow! Last year 19th place at state, a contender this year?

Website

www.finishtiming.com

It's a three hour drive, to run 2 miles along a cement wall, in a less than inspiring facility, no thanks.
Slow times in the heat? Madeira's had 3 under 17:18 in the D2 race to easily win over Carroll
"Less than inspiring" is a good way to put it. I will not be sucked into Madeira's fan club again this year. They will have to prove it to me at the state meet and not a meet earlier. Woodridge would most likely 15 them right now anyway.

I don't think I would want to go to the state meet facility and have a bad experience and have that in my head when I ran there again. I would want it fresh and new and exciting for the state meet if it were me.

Might as well get used to the heat. Don't think it's going to be cooler next year or the year after that or the year after that. My daughter coaches in North Carolina and they have rules and regulations about dew point and temperature and heat index and how far the race can be...It's probably going to migrate north to us soon.

The D1 boys and girls races had a lot of decent teams from all over the state.

Don't most coaches use this meet as sort of a "scrimmage" or something to "dust off the rust" and to see where everyone on the team is and what may need to be done? Something to help guide future training? If you're considering not attending in the future are you going to consider a different meet? I would think that coaches need to consider if the meet has value in terms of training and preparation for the season.
That’s exactly how I try to use it. We even put the whole team into the 2.whatever race instead of the full course options. The two problems I have are the heat, and the number of families who take a last summer vacation in early August. This year I only had 6 runners with enough practices to race. Beyond that, my teams just don’t enjoy it.
If I replace it, it will be with an intra squad meet either Friday night or much earlier Saturday morning where we can invite families and alums to come out.

DI Boys - Solon 73 - didn't make it to state last year, hungry to get there this year.
DII Boys - Madeira - 53 - off to another strong start early, don't want a repeat of last year's 17th place at state.
DII Girls - Ontario 40 - 5th at state last year, hope for better things this year
DIII Girls - Madeira - combined DII and III, strange that the boys ran in the all DII race but the girls didn't
DIII Boys - Maplewood - wow! Last year 19th place at state, a contender this year?

Website

www.finishtiming.com
Remember the 2018 Results for D1 girls

66 Lakota East
110 Hilliard Davidson
127 Medina
135 Mason

Same scenario last year. Lakota East opened up very, very fast. Taking down 3 of the top teams in the state outside of Centerville, Beavercreek and Granville.

I don't understand what point is trying to be made. Lakota East also beat Hilliard Davidson and Medina at the state meet. It's not like they fell off the face of the earth. They finished pretty good and the three teams they took down also had very good seasons.

Website

www.finishtiming.com

Pump the brakes on this one, man. Maplewood should make state again, but they aren't at the level of contending yet. A 10-pt. win in a 10-team race isn't exactly domination. If you want to talk contender, I'd be looking at the other DIII school in Maplewood's county whose name starts with an "M."

PUMP THE BRAKES...because Canton Central Catholic crushed Maplewood at Hoban.

We should have a good look at McDonald on Saturday.