OHSAA announces 6-game regular season for football; all teams make playoffs

Most obvious cash grab I’ve ever seen.

I have talked to multiple ADs. If DeWine was on board it would have been announced today, this is to put the ball completely in DeWines court. No one can say how it will be treated but my guess this move will anger him and get us pushed to Spring.
You haven't talked to any ADs or you would know that Husted is the point man on this. That is why this went through today after getting turned down soundly on Wednesday by the OHSAA. Dewine most likely already rubber stamped. Pretty curious this comes out of the blue immediately after Dewine looks foolish with the false positive. Best way to get the heat off is to give the people what they want.

You haven't talked to any ADs or you would know that Husted is the point man on this. That is why this went through today after getting turned down soundly on Wednesday by the OHSAA. Dewine most likely already rubber stamped. Pretty curious this comes out of the blue immediately after Dewine looks foolish with the false positive. Best way to get the heat off is to give the people what they want.

The majority of the state does not “want”high school sports. Every AD is about this because it completely caught them off guard and even worse, 25% of state isn’t even clear to start on that date.

Last edited by a moderator:
The majority of the state does not “want”high school sports. Every AD is about this because it completely caught them off guard and even worse, 25% of state isn’t even clear to start on that date.
If they dont want football then they have no business being ADs. Husted made it clear to that 25% on Wednesday that they were all told back in March to listen to the State and the State only. Not local health depts run by real estate agents and retired bankers. See, I'm actually informed rather than making assumptions based off of fears and wishes.

P.s. The 600 or so schools that are practicing certainly do want football. The only ones that don't are the ones that are hiding under their covers waiting to be told when it is safe to come out. Sadly they are taking it away from a ton of healthy young men who hsve no say in the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a team has NO chance to go past first round, are they looking to opt out entirely if it's going to get an extra home game? How does revenue sharing work under the attendance rules?

I wouldn't. Regular season limit is 10 either way, may as well play the playoff game, get the practice, then schedule your 4 games afterward.

Interesting that Canton won't be hosting all of the championship games.
Especially if there's a restriction on fan attendance. How can their broadcast all 7 games in one weekend?

I get the logistical hurdle with many teams and officials sharing the same facilities one after another but that's a big detriment if attendance is restricted.

I just got through reading the latest proposal for a 6 game season and then everyone that wants to makes the playoffs. I am scratching my head over this. In my mind, either the season is on or it isn't. These half way measures are just plain confusing and I don't know that they actually accomplish anything except to show that "we are trying".

I guess that this is the best compromise to get football played this fall in Ohio. But like all compromises, no one is happy. This makes me think of the 10pm rule for bars. What is magic about 10pm? Either the bar is shut down because it is a hot bed for Covid, or it is open because it is not. I don't know that keeping a bar open for half the night really accomplishes much - except to show that we are trying to do something. And this is the same for football. It is a halfway measure (Ok one more game than half) for a 6 game football season.

But wait it is more convoluted because schools can opt out of the playoffs and play more than the 6 game regular season. But who do they play if their competitors are opting for the playoffs? Do they stop at 6 and start sending out flyers saying that they are looking for games in weeks 7, 8, 9, 10? How do you fill those last 4 weeks if you decide that this is a rebuild year and you want to get in the max number of games for experience?

Then instead of the Harbin system we are using votes. We are going back to 1960. So if you have a school that you hate, you can not vote for them, or vote them down in the rankings so that they get a poor seed. I am not happy, but now the kids who have been working so hard this winter, spring, summer and now fall will get a chance to play - I am happy for that.

I just got through reading the latest proposal for a 6 game season and then everyone that wants to makes the playoffs. I am scratching my head over this. In my mind, either the season is on or it isn't. These half way measures are just plain confusing and I don't know that they actually accomplish anything except to show that "we are trying".

I guess that this is the best compromise to get football played this fall in Ohio. But like all compromises, no one is happy. This makes me think of the 10pm rule for bars. What is magic about 10pm? Either the bar is shut down because it is a hot bed for Covid, or it is open because it is not. I don't know that keeping a bar open for half the night really accomplishes much - except to show that we are trying to do something. And this is the same for football. It is a halfway measure (Ok one more game than half) for a 6 game football season.

But wait it is more convoluted because schools can opt out of the playoffs and play more than the 6 game regular season. But who do they play if their competitors are opting for the playoffs? Do they stop at 6 and start sending out flyers saying that they are looking for games in weeks 7, 8, 9, 10? How do you fill those last 4 weeks if you decide that this is a rebuild year and you want to get in the max number of games for experience?

Then instead of the Harbin system we are using votes. We are going back to 1960. So if you have a school that you hate, you can not vote for them, or vote them down in the rankings so that they get a poor seed. I am not happy, but now the kids who have been working so hard this winter, spring, summer and now fall will get a chance to play - I am happy for that.

No reason to opt out. If you lose round 1, you have 5 weeks to play 4 more games with PLENTY of schools available and more becoming available every week.

This is literally the same system basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, soccer, hockey, etc. use. They do it just fine. This isn't a poll style, you still have to play the games. Just voting for seeding. Coaches with a vengeance won't be a big factor.

I’m still not convinced Ohio won’t be playing spring football. It will be interesting to see how many teams will and won’t be playing the week of Aug 24. Then what it will look like 3 weeks later, IF there is a 3 weeks later....

A majority of the state has no connection to high school sports so your statement ir irrelevant.

Especially if there's a restriction on fan attendance. How can their broadcast all 7 games in one weekend?

I get the logistical hurdle with many teams and officials sharing the same facilities one after another but that's a big detriment if attendance is restricted.
Oh lord. Get over it. Football is happening! Sorry to prance on the pity party that you were wrong.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but according to the latest OSHAA brainfart, Ignatius will be playing only three regular season games before the playoff starts. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

From my distant youth I vaguely recall a Gershwin song performed by Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers that seems a propos to the current football situation, "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off."

So who wants to be the one to talk Duq, Paladin, BkMK, that Polar Bear dude, brianwr112 and the rest down off the ledge? Anybody go check the bball forum to see if they started calling for the end if civilization there yet? Wrestling?

So true. Those guys have been wrong every single day since March 13th. I think they just get on yappi to stir up the pot. Hopefully we never hear from them again.

You might be laughing but I’m not kidding, which Massillon high school is it? I know and speak for majority of 2020 Ohio, no one knows outside of NE Ohio.
They are the franchise that will be hosting Pickerington North week 1. Oh, and if you're not too busy, you can catch them on tv. On a little known station called ESPN 2. For the whole world to see.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but according to the latest OSHAA brainfart, Ignatius will be playing only three regular season games before the playoff starts. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That’s the Jesuit’s problem. Other schools can play as many games as the OHSAA allows before the playoffs. If Iggy or any other school chooses to play three games or no games before the playoffs that’s on them.

Last edited:
I’m still not convinced Ohio won’t be playing spring football. It will be interesting to see how many teams will and won’t be playing the week of Aug 24. Then what it will look like 3 weeks later, IF there is a 3 weeks later....

Spring football is not happening in Ohio, nor should it for numerous reasons. It’s dumb and remain’s dumb for the states that have claimed they are doing so, especially the northern states. If there is no fall football in 2020 it should be canceled until the fall of 2021.

Oh lord. Get over it. Football is happening! Sorry to prance on the pity party that you were wrong.
Read. Please. I know you can do it.

We're talking about their plans not to have all seven title games held at the same location.