OHSAA 2022 Volleyball State Finals, Eight Private Schools, Three MAC Schools...and the rest of the state

OHSAA 2022 Volleyball State Finals, Eight Private Schools, Three MAC Schools...and the rest of the state
Hey pea brain, do you read any of the other threads on this site? We discussed this at length on the 2022 volleyball thread and it was called out that the common thread was the Catholic school tradition of volleyball that stretches back to the primary school age; that is why you see the schools listed which include the heavily Catholic MAC schools. Why not produce the same sort of clickbait article about the implied unfair advantage that pubs have in softball and how competitive balance isn't working there?

Finally fix the title of your bit, these are not private schools but Catholic Schools. Private schools are places like Summit Country Day, Columbus School for Girls, and Laurel School; their traditions are in country club sports. Places named for Saints, Religious Orders/Personnel or in honor of the Virgin Mary are Catholic Schools.

Hey pea brain, do you read any of the other threads on this site? We discussed this at length on the 2022 volleyball thread and it was called out that the common thread was the Catholic school tradition of volleyball that stretches back to the primary school age; that is why you see the schools listed which include the heavily Catholic MAC schools. Why not produce the same sort of clickbait article about the implied unfair advantage that pubs have in softball and how competitive balance isn't working there?

Finally fix the title of your bit, these are not private schools but Catholic Schools. Private schools are places like Summit Country Day, Columbus School for Girls, and Laurel School; their traditions are in country club sports. Places named for Saints, Religious Orders/Personnel or in honor of the Virgin Mary are Catholic Schools.
Um...There are no Catholic MAC schools.

Um...There are no Catholic MAC schools.
But how many of those players are Catholic? The discussion on the general thread was based off of the tradition factor for Catholic girls and the sport of volleyball. Radio douche ignores this factor when he posts his click baits.

But how many of those players are Catholic? The discussion on the general thread was based off of the tradition factor for Catholic girls and the sport of volleyball. Radio douche ignores this factor when he posts his click baits.
Great question but I think the fairer question should be how many of the players didn't come from a parochial grade school or doesn't have any ties to that catholic high school as some families send their children to the public grade school then send to catholic high school.

Another interesting element that comes into play is if any of the girls that don't fit this profile I mentioned above are coming from the same Vball club that the coach is affiliated with.

You think that religion of girls playing is a factor? WTH?

What does being Catholic have to do with playing volleyball?? It’s not like they practice at CCD. With that being said Radio Dave is the biggest idiot on Yappi and that’s really saying something!!

Last edited:
Something missed in the Catholic + MAC equation is that other than the same club volleyball most other girls 'have access' to, there is no volleyball before JH. It is significantly different there than the parochial school setup you see elsewhere in the state - the only CYO is basketball, and that's only in HS.

My guess may be more controversial, but I say the #1 reason for MAC success in any sport is economic stability/ communities with large rural middle classes. Tradition, work ethos, and coaching talent are also contributors, but if they didn't have 70% or more of a grade able and willing to put significant time in 2-3 sports with parents supporting them they wouldn't be where they are. The last 50+ years have hurt small-town America and MAC land has had a lot to be grateful for in Crown, Dannon, Midmark, and too many more contributors to mention.

Something missed in the Catholic + MAC equation is that other than the same club volleyball most other girls 'have access' to, there is no volleyball before JH. It is significantly different there than the parochial school setup you see elsewhere in the state - the only CYO is basketball, and that's only in HS.

My guess may be more controversial, but I say the #1 reason for MAC success in any sport is economic stability/ communities with large rural middle classes. Tradition, work ethos, and coaching talent are also contributors, but if they didn't have 70% or more of a grade able and willing to put significant time in 2-3 sports with parents supporting them they wouldn't be where they are. The last 50+ years have hurt small-town America and MAC land has had a lot to be grateful for in Crown, Dannon, Midmark, and too many more contributors to mention.
Agree.

Great question but I think the fairer question should be how many of the players didn't come from a parochial grade school or doesn't have any ties to that catholic high school as some families send their children to the public grade school then send to catholic high school.

Another interesting element that comes into play is if any of the girls that don't fit this profile I mentioned above are coming from the same Vball club that the coach is affiliated with.
Zero except for DSJ. 2nd statement not sure about, I will say this when my daughter tried out for 7th grade Vball (at Marion Local) maybe 38 girls total in her class and 34 tried out for Vball.

What does being Catholic have to do with playing volleyball?? It’s not like they practice at CCD. With that being said Radio Dave is the biggest idiot on Yappi and that’s really saying something!!
I don' t know but considering all the State Final teams are either Catholic or MAC schools, I think it is just more than a coincidence.

I don' t know but considering all the State Final teams are either Catholic or MAC schools, I think it is just more than a coincidence.
In the other thread many surmised it was a tradition factor. Radio dude almost always opinions it is open enrollment of the non-public schools, which I agree has some factor, but tradition also plays probably an equal part and if it was only about resources + hard work the MAC school would be a lot better in some other sports like softball.

In Cincinnati the Catholic youth volleyball league is well established and has over 350+ teams in one league and the west side Catholic League has about 150+ teams for grades 3 to 8. There is also a public school youth league and some of the programs are doing really well, but in comparing leagues the Catholic Youth leagues are more established. I do think the public youth league there are certain programs that are closing the gap but as a whole there is really no comparison.

Also the girls playing in the Catholic league for grades 7/8 have an advantage over those playing at their public middle school. Since the Catholic leagues are private the players can do more training outside of their school team where as the girls playing for their public middle school have more restrictions.

The Catholic Youth league also has several extra tournaments for their teams during the season where the public youth teams only have a limited number of tournaments.

The other advantage that the Catholic league has over the Public schools is in 7/8 grade, the Public schools have cuts. Not sure outside of Mason but most schools only have one team per grade (Mason has 2 per grade). In the Catholic youth leagues, there are no cuts. There are different levels of teams but the girls stay engaged in the sport. There are plenty of stories of girls not on the "A" team in 7/8 grade but go on and make a contribution at the varsity level. As a point of reference, there are over 50 7/8 grade teams on the Westisde of Cincy this season.

Genetics. If you find a sport that your good at naturally you may be inclined to work at developing it further. I accept all the other components of hard work, coaching talent, youth programs etc. but also believe producing many potential girls with natural reach far superior to the average is a significant component of success.

Genetics. If you find a sport that your good at naturally you may be inclined to work at developing it further. I accept all the other components of hard work, coaching talent, youth programs etc. but also believe producing many potential girls with natural reach far superior to the average is a significant component of success.
100% agree.