Ohio's tournaments...coronavirus may throw a wrench into it

Thanks Dewine for being proactive and willing to take the criticism for his decision for the safety of all Americans, especially for me and other grandparents that are vulnerable. It’s definitely more serious than most people want to believe and just tonight our president is even restricting air travel. I really hope this is call to start trusting our people in charge to make the right decisions and hope they are listening to the experts.

Thanks Dewine for being proactive and willing to take the criticism for his decision for the safety of all Americans, especially for me and other grandparents that are vulnerable. It’s definitely more serious than most people want to believe and just tonight our president is even restricting air travel. I really hope this is call to start trusting our people in charge to make the right decisions and hope they are listening to the experts.
But I’m not optimistic.

If you are worried about it stay home, America use have something called individual choice. The flu this year will kill 10 times more people than covid 19. Their are doctors and pathologist out their who are saying this is way over blown, the media of course ignores them. BTW I am a grandparent, and i am much more concerned about myself or my children dying in a car accident than from covid 19.

If you are worried about it stay home, America use have something called individual choice. The flu this year will kill 10 times more people than covid 19. Their are doctors and pathologist out their who are saying this is way over blown, the media of course ignores them. BTW I am a grandparent, and i am much more concerned about myself or my children dying in a car accident than from covid 19.

Does someone have an individual choice to walk into the home of your grandchildren just because they really really want to? If they're sick, would you want them to?

These games are no longer open public events and frankly, they never have been. Schools have restricted who could go since forever. Those stats on car accidents have na da, zip, zero to do with anything. They're strawman. Car accidents are accidents. Not predators looking to feed.

If there's a snow emergency, the government can restrict your choice to do where you want, when you want for the public good.

No new ground is being covered in this emergency. Just pig headed people intent on understanding only what they can see, not what they can faith. Let's not be those people.

This is not a simple numbers game. Until more is known, it needs be treated as a critical mass game like fission. Too much in one place and boom, you cannot hope to control it. This is a time to listen to wisdom.

Roll with it. You'll survive the inconvenience brother. For the grandkids.

You sir are the definition of a hero. What we need is more people like you.

Some people miss the whole point of all this - Am I afraid to go out in public? No, I work with the general public. The issue isn't about being afraid to go out with the fear of catching the virus - the issue is that when you go out and contract the virus, you spread it. No one thinks you're a tough SOB for going out right now or because you're not afraid to go out - but you are for sure being a complete dullard for believing or thinking this is about whether or not YOU are afraid or get sick from it......its more about human decency to prevent it from spreading.

As for the people talking about have the right to make the choice to go to a public event right now - no, actually you don't have that choice. Quarantining for CDC recognized infectious diseases is not a new thing, and it's never been a choice. If you have an illness that requires quarantine and you enter public space intentionally, you can be arrested for public endangerment. And let me be VERY clear, we are not there with this disease, which is why every time you hear quarantine being thrown around in the media - the word "self" is in front of it. There are no armed guards standing outside your house when you get the virus, the generally population just hopes that you are smart enough to not go out when you do get it...

The flu has a mortality rate of .1%. COVID-19 is 3.4%.

This is 34 times more deadly than the flu, and as I pointed out to some mouthbreather complaining about OSU cancelling the spring game....3.4% of 100,000 would be 3400 dead. Compared to 100 with the flu.

No, this is NOT "just a flu" and nothing to worry about. I'm not going to live my life in fear, but large gatherings are NOT a good idea right now. We'll survive without sports for a few weeks. It'll be ok.

Twitter post from a reporter at the Girls State games at 12:25 today:

West Branch girls warming up here at St. John Arena but don’t expect a full game. According to sources around the arena, the OHSAA plans to cancel/postpone the entire state tournament in the next hour or so. Tip is 1 PM. Nothing official till Governor DeWine addresses at 2PM.

Feel so bad for the kids but what can you do?
Actually play the games. Administer testing if someone feels it necessary. So what do they do? Just like Florida State just won their conference tournament by default, then the highest ranked team left in the state wins the state championship?

Here’s the most prescient comment in the COVID-19 saga, folks.

Well done.
You dont think they were pointless? We had no idea at the time the virus was about 1/2 as deadly as the flu ( based on New Yorks random testing of 15,000 people statewide and finding 12.3% have antibodies) and were told it was 10 times more lethal than the flu. They were wrong. They overstated its lethal ability by 20 times the actual.

It appears we didn't slow it all that much, and it was infecting many, many more people who have next to no symptoms. So I would disagree with the notion shutting businesses down stopped the spread. I would say the mildness of the virus stopped people from dying from it or overwhelming the hospitals. If we did not shut down would we have overwhelmed our medical system? Not with this wimpy but highly contagious virus.

Last edited:
We’ll never know. I agreed we needed to be cautious. Now we need most things open by 1st of June.