Ohio's tournaments...coronavirus may throw a wrench into it

And the misinformation is being spouted by yourself. Not taking this thing seriously and not taking precautions would just be one of the dumbest decisions possible. Best to take caution and limit the spread as much as possible compared to burying your head in the sand and letting it spread like wild fire and overrun the health care system in this country. This thing is only going to get worse in the coming weeks.
I get to choose what I take serious. I’m not a doctor and I’m not giving medical advice. Go watch CNN or PMSNBC and watch the sky fall. People should be smart enough to take their own precautions. If you’re that concerned, stay home. My guess is you wouldn’t even be going to any events anyway but had to give your two cents.

You’re actually being told “what’s best” for you by Governor DeWine, who you may have voted for!

New member with less than 10 posts ... on the basketball forum that has pretty much been the same people up until the past month. Yeah, not buying it. Even Brusharc was more convincing.

I still get to go. It’s not about me at all. It’s about how local school teams are part of community and pride in that community. Players still get to play but it won’t be the same. The two biggest weeks of the season and fans, students, relatives, alumni and teachers won’t be there for support. Spectators should be able to choose if the want to attend. They shouldn’t be told by bureaucrats what’s best for them. If you’re concerned about getting this virus, stay home.

You don’t understand the point. It’s not about any person who wants to attend. The ban isn’t so that the people going to the game are safe. It’s so they don’t go and contribute to the spread of a virus that will end up harming others.

Getting robbed is having a season cancelled by a teacher’s strike. They still get to play the game, here.

And no one here has made it about the kids, at all here. They’re only making it about themselves, the fans, and how the local sports team is a projection of their community against the rest of Ohio.
honestly the decision making is incredibly head scratching at the moment given the stats and inconsistent recommendations/decision.
In the US currently:
- 981 cases
-30 deaths
-15 full recoveries
-936 currently infected. Of which 926 (99%) are classified as "mild". The other 10 are classified as serious or critical.
-What does mild mean? To me, mild means mild. Maybe that turns into serious, most likely it doesn't. Of the 936 in the mild catergory what are the ages. Age matters in here.
-Of the 30 dead I know the average age is around 80, many of which were in the same nursing home. Of the 10 currently "serious" how many are over the age of 70?
- Granted we don't know the outcome of the mild, but if those cases stay mild to recovery, the current fatality risk in the US not classified as elderly is very small.
-And the hypocracy of what's open and what's closed. Kids can be in the same classrooms all day but the playoff games are off limits. yet I can go to any Cavs game in Cuyahoga County I want. Now why would that be?
-This is a governor stradling the state economic/facility constraint fence. Let's not pretend he's all in on stemming a potential pandemic. There's no other explanation for the headscratching recommendations and decisions surrounding this entire mess.

H1N1
Ebola
Bird flu
Swine Flu
Freakin' Y2K

All of these were at once hailed as "the end" by chicken little, yeah some people were infected..........we can't keep every single person from contracting every single virus, etc. Never leave the house and/ or disallow every form of human interaction, that is how to limit the spread of diseases and also never let more than 20 people congregate in the same area........is this where we are heading?

I get to choose what I take serious. I’m not a doctor and I’m not giving medical advice. Go watch CNN or PMSNBC and watch the sky fall. People should be smart enough to take their own precautions. If you’re that concerned, stay home. My guess is you wouldn’t even be going to any events anyway but had to give your two cents.

Uh I was at a regional tonight. That said, it’s not about what risks individuals are willing to take, it’s about the collective and slowing the inevitable spread of this. Doing nothing and letting this thing spread is nothing short of moronic.

So here’s an example. Guy attends regional game, has the virus but no symptoms yet. 4,000 people are there, now exposed to it. Let’s be conservative and only say 10 people get infected. Now those 10 people have 2-14 days of unknowingly spreading the disease to people who didn’t willingly go to a gathering. Now in those people’s daily lives they are spreading until they get symptoms etc. So sure those 10 people were ok with the risk, the others weren’t. Now we got dozens/hundreds of new cases requiring medical attention running the health care system even thinner, causing anyone with an issue to get less care because there’s only so much man power.

honestly the decision making is incredibly head scratching at the moment given the stats and inconsistent recommendations/decision.
In the US currently:
- 981 cases
-30 deaths
-15 full recoveries
-936 currently infected. Of which 926 (99%) are classified as "mild". The other 10 are classified as serious or critical.
-What does mild mean? To me, mild means mild. Maybe that turns into serious, most likely it doesn't. Of the 936 in the mild catergory what are the ages. Age matters in here.
-Of the 30 dead I know the average age is around 80, many of which were in the same nursing home. Of the 10 currently "serious" how many are over the age of 70?
- Granted we don't know the outcome of the mild, but if those cases stay mild to recovery, the current fatality risk in the US not classified as elderly is very small.
-And the hypocracy of what's open and what's closed. Kids can be in the same classrooms all day but the playoff games are off limits. yet I can go to any Cavs game in Cuyahoga County I want. Now why would that be?
-This is a governor stradling the state economic/facility constraint fence. Let's not pretend he's all in on stemming a potential pandemic. There's no other explanation for the headscratching recommendations and decisions surrounding this entire mess.

So when should action be taken? 10k cases? 100k? million? Just today we added 30% of those confirmed cases. And because the US has woeful in testing the real number is likely already well into the thousands. This thing is going to continue to spread, but doing what we can to slow it down is only beneficial before it becomes like China

Uh I was at a regional tonight. That said, it’s not about what risks individuals are willing to take, it’s about the collective and slowing the inevitable spread of this. Doing nothing and letting this thing spread is nothing short of moronic.

So here’s an example. Guy attends regional game, has the virus but no symptoms yet. 4,000 people are there, now exposed to it. Let’s be conservative and only say 10 people get infected. Now those 10 people have 2-14 days of unknowingly spreading the disease to people who didn’t willingly go to a gathering. Now in those people’s daily lives they are spreading until they get symptoms etc. So sure those 10 people were ok with the risk, the others weren’t. Now we got dozens/hundreds of new cases requiring medical attention running the health care system even thinner, causing anyone with an issue to get less care because there’s only so much man power.
and if you were at a Cavs game (in Cuyahoga County with the only known cases to date) with the 20,000 spectators that have not been recommended by the governor to stay away? Although I did hear him say the arena has a terrific ventalation system, at which point I spit my drank out from laughter.

and if you were at a Cavs game (in Cuyahoga County with the only known cases to date) with the 20,000 spectators that have not been recommended by the governor to stay away? Although I did hear him say the arena has a terrific ventalation system, at which point I spit my drank out from laughter.

Wut? Governor recommended all indoor sporting events to take place with no spectators. MAC tournament at the Q won’t have any spectators. Also already talk the nba will be going to games with no spectators soon.

With your logic then we should all stay home. Don’t go to work. Don’t go to school. No vacations. No grocery shopping. No dinners out with the family. In other words stop everything and wait for bureaucrats to tell us it’s ok to come out and play?
Ohhhh if you’re that concerned about this whole thing why did you go to a game tonight? The $8 you spent was more important than potentially contracting or even spreading the virus yourself. Pretty hypocritical going and doing tonight exactly what your telling everyone they shouldn’t do. What a joke.

Attachments

• B73EC6CD-042D-438D-A76B-CE13231934AC.png
    B73EC6CD-042D-438D-A76B-CE13231934AC.png
    417 KB · Views: 32

So you could possibly be the guy in your own example. Hypocrite.

With your logic then we should all stay home. Don’t go to work. Don’t go to school. No vacations. No grocery shopping. No dinners out with the family. In other words stop everything and wait for bureaucrats to tell us it’s ok to come out and play?
Ohhhh if you’re that concerned about this whole thing why did you go to a game tonight? The $8 you spent was more important than potentially contracting or even spreading the virus yourself. Pretty hypocritical going and doing tonight exactly what your telling everyone they shouldn’t do. What a joke.

And your logic we should do nothing in the name of individual choice and let this be the next China, but hey we got to go to our sporting events! Who cares there’s 500k infected now.

I agree it was selfish of me to go tonight, no argument there. won’t be going to any major gathering going forward.

Wut? Governor recommended all indoor sporting events to take place with no spectators. MAC tournament at the Q won’t have any spectators. Also already talk the nba will be going to games with no spectators soon.
[/QUOTE]
cavs at the Q still have spectators, same with blue jackets. And i swear I heard him give the great ventilation system lame excuse as the why cavs are ok to play. Could be i didn't hear that right about the Q but it was either the Q or nationwide. Also why are kids still in school everyday. spare me on the all in-door arena recommendation. Either shut them all down or don't Mike. Either he's serious about protecting his state or he's going to continue dabbling with high school basketball games and internet classrooms, while university dining halls and libraries remain open. It appears state economics are on par with the pandemic prevention.

cavs at the Q still have spectators, same with blue jackets. And i swear I heard him give the great ventilation system lame excuse as the why cavs are ok to play. Could be i didn't hear that right about the Q but it was either the Q or nationwide. Also why are kids still in school everyday. spare me on the all in-door arena recommendation. Either shut them all down or don't Mike. Either he's serious about protecting his state or he's going to continue dabbling with high school basketball games and internet classrooms, while university dining halls and libraries remain open. It appears state economics are on par with the pandemic prevention.
[/QUOTE]

He didn’t “dabble” with high school basketball, he put out recommendations and the ohsaa obliged, as did the MAC. The point of these precautions is to slow the spread so we can continue to live with only minor inconveniences instead of having to introduce drastic measures like China or Italy in a few weeks. If the ohsaa doing what they did prevents just 1 person from transmitting at one of these events that otherwise would’ve went, it was completely worth it.

I'm not an attorney but I I don't think they can legally stop civic center and others from selling tickets! Thoughts

He didn’t “dabble” with high school basketball, he put out recommendations and the ohsaa obliged, as did the MAC. The point of these precautions is to slow the spread so we can continue to live with only minor inconveniences instead of having to introduce drastic measures like China or Italy in a few weeks. If the ohsaa doing what they did prevents just 1 person from transmitting at one of these events that otherwise would’ve went, it was completely worth it.
[/QUOTE]
And public schools that remain open? The risk probability is significantly higher isn't it? There he's waiting for the first confirmed cases right before he gives his "recommendation"? there is a very obvious economic compenent to this selective cancellation. That's dabbling. If the goal is as you note above. Can someone please find the ridiculous ventilation excuse please.

the venue is just the rental host for the evening. It’s OHSAA events, they can decide to sell tickets or not. You can’t force a business to sell you something.
but they are selling tickets! Only selectively, parents etc

Last edited:
It's just for the "near future" to limit the spread of COVID 19--if you limit the # of people exposed and thusly keep the infected #'s down--it's being proactive and not waiting til too late--fans can listen on radio, watch TV, or follow on twitter-- DeWine and Ohio Health experts are right!!
Most cities and communities doesn't broadcast local high school games let alone televise them.

I think the streaming consolation that the OHSAA has brought up will never occur, largely because of zezzol’s comment, above.

that said, if all The locations did stream, what a smorgasbord for us fans—could pick and choose which game to watch, just like March Madness.

Done with yappi tired of all the BS.I thought this was a sight to get sports information not preached about what I should attend or not!!

They should at least allow the schools to provide busing for students to attend the games, if it is still considered safe to keep schools open, it should be safe for them to attend the game as well.

Napoleon is going to broadcast their girl's State Semi-Final game live on TV in the school gym. They expect nearly 2,000 people to attend. So much for the stopping large gathering strategy based on panic and political correctness. This is the governor trying to making it look like he is doing something.

Napoleon is going to broadcast their girl's State Semi-Final game live on TV in the school gym. They expect nearly 2,000 people to attend. So much for the stopping large gathering strategy based on panic and political correctness. This is the governor trying to making it look like he is doing something.

Saved for posterity for when the first cases appear in Napoleon.