Ohio's guidelines are out for returning to baseball

Speaking as an umpire, here would be some concerns about working behind the plate under the protocols:
-I have face shield (cloth mask presumably) on, I then put on either a face mask or hockey style mask over it. When I take the mask off, does the face shield go with it? Lord knows if that face shield gets into the dirt, what good does it do (it's not sanitary to put back on, and to breathe in dirt would seem like a bad idea).
-I'm asked to take a position more in back of the catcher than normal. All of the sudden, the traditional protection that the catcher provides in terms of foul "tips" and wild pitches/passed balls all of the sudden vanishes; that puts me in greater risk of being hit by a pitched/batted ball. Not withstanding that an adjusted position creates issues in terms of the ability to call balls & strikes as effectively. At that point, you might as well just put the umpire behind the pitcher, go one-man mechanics, and pay that umpire 1-1/2 (or 2x) game fee.

I know we're on the same side but I think breathing will be an essential part of life for the foreseeable future.

Yep... somehow people have the opinion that I don't want kids back out playing ball. Trust me, I want them out there.

Just let them play for crying out loud.

Speaking as an umpire, here would be some concerns about working behind the plate under the protocols:
-I have face shield (cloth mask presumably) on, I then put on either a face mask or hockey style mask over it. When I take the mask off, does the face shield go with it? Lord knows if that face shield gets into the dirt, what good does it do (it's not sanitary to put back on, and to breathe in dirt would seem like a bad idea).
-I'm asked to take a position more in back of the catcher than normal. All of the sudden, the traditional protection that the catcher provides in terms of foul "tips" and wild pitches/passed balls all of the sudden vanishes; that puts me in greater risk of being hit by a pitched/batted ball. Not withstanding that an adjusted position creates issues in terms of the ability to call balls & strikes as effectively. At that point, you might as well just put the umpire behind the pitcher, go one-man mechanics, and pay that umpire 1-1/2 (or 2x) game fee.

Might as well put a bullseye on us standing that far back.

AllSports12,

I'm not sure what your perspective is, but I would rather do a one-man behind the pitcher then umpire behind the plate but six-to-ten feet behind the catcher (in presumably two-man). At least I won't be at risk to wild pitches and foul balls off the bat (as you know very well, the protection provided by the worn equipment has to work in concert with the umpire stance behind the plate and using the catcher in close proximity as protection).

My gosh i am lost now. Just thought a plastic shield much like hockey players wear would work well for umpires and catchers. I was not suggesting MacGyver the umpire to make it in his garage but some company has to have thought of that. I was also not suggesting it to cover the eyesight though I have no idea how the coronavirus can attach to anyone or thing. I was using the mask sun visor as an example of the simplicity to alter the mask. There just has to be an easier solution than a mask under a mask.
I believe our local Little League is going with umpires behind the pitcher, which I have done as a coach during intersquads for almost 35 years and have never once been hit by a batted ball. But then again my 260 lb frame moves like cheetah or is it a slug, can't remember. Carry on.

I think I mentioned the one man crew calling from behind the pitcher somewhere. I believe there will be a shortage of umpires. In my opinion, it'd be the best way to do things. This will of course effect their ability to make correct calls that are at the upmost importance to parents.

I think I mentioned the one man crew calling from behind the pitcher somewhere. I believe there will be a shortage of umpires. In my opinion, it'd be the best way to do things. This will of course effect their ability to make correct calls that are at the upmost importance to parents.

I do recall that. My idea of one-man behind the pitcher was a combination of umpire safety and reducing concern of another human being being too close to the batter/catcher (for those concerned about that, not necessarily me personally). The pay part of my idea was b/c that one umpire is being asked to do more work, do it from a different position, and probably absorb more grief than normal (though I'd hope, maybe stupidly, parents would understand the circumstance and give a little more than normal); it would also be a slight savings to pay fee of 1-1/2 umpire instead of two.

I think this would be a proper response to whoever's making the calls with sports nowadays. I would contemplate coming out of retirement under those conditions. So how do we start up tee-ball though? And who's raising their hand and saying they'll take for whatever happens outside the lines? If a kid throws their mask in anger am I supposed to throw them out and report them to the local health authority? Who's making sure only families are sitting together and properly socially distanced from the rest? What's the recourse of something happening on my field?

AllSports12,

I'm not sure what your perspective is, but I would rather do a one-man behind the pitcher then umpire behind the plate but six-to-ten feet behind the catcher (in presumably two-man). At least I won't be at risk to wild pitches and foul balls off the bat (as you know very well, the protection provided by the worn equipment has to work in concert with the umpire stance behind the plate and using the catcher in close proximity as protection).

Ball/Strike
Fair/Foul
Catch/No Catch
Safe/Out

Those are, in order, umpire priorities on each pitch. When you move the plate umpire behind the mound, you directly impact the ability to judge the two most important parts segments of each pitch and the immediate aftermath.

Personally, I would not accept an assignment that required the plate umpire to call a game from behind the pitcher. (and I agree, behind the mound would be light years safer for the umpire) I'd rather they save a few bucks and have the coaches call the game at that point.

Ball/Strike
Fair/Foul
Catch/No Catch
Safe/Out

Those are, in order, umpire priorities on each pitch. When you move the plate umpire behind the mound, you directly impact the ability to judge the two most important parts segments of each pitch and the immediate aftermath.

Personally, I would not accept an assignment that required the plate umpire to call a game from behind the pitcher. (and I agree, behind the mound would be light years safer for the umpire) I'd rather they save a few bucks and have the coaches call the game at that point.

I think no matter what the final decision ends up being...umpires will be asked to perform a task they haven't been trained to do. I have troubles taking responsibility for the safety of myself and the players on the field at that point. All new regulations have been put in place to try to keep a virus from spreading. In my opinion, in doing so they've neglected to think about keeping those involved safe from injury.

Right but with Little League coming out and basically having the same regulations, including masks...don't see that changing

Just saw where the state is mandating umpires wear a face covering at all times. I umpire in the big tournaments in my area. It's fun money and not a required income, but this is making me think about wanting to umpire this Summer now. I can't imagine doing a double header in June/July in 80 degrees and being humid out having a face mask on for 1.5-2 hours for a game... then add in if you are at the plate... Yikes!!
I have umpired for 30 plus years, travel to college, and I can guarantee you that more than 1/2 of available umps will simply say no thanks to that requirement. Baseball games are too long, and as the season progress thru the summer, the heat and humidity will make the masks unwearable. Many of the guys I have already spoken with today agree.

I have umpired for 30 plus years, travel to college, and I can guarantee you that more than 1/2 of available umps will simply say no thanks to that requirement. Baseball games are too long, and as the season progress thru the summer, the heat and humidity will make the masks unwearable. Many of the guys I have already spoken with today agree.

Today, they rescinded the masks for coaches during games (still have to wear them for practices, as apparently the virus loves practices), players, and umpires at any time during games.

Amazing what has happened when they finally engaged the OHSAA

Today, they rescinded the masks for coaches during games (still have to wear them for practices, as apparently the virus loves practices), players, and umpires at any time during games.

Amazing what has happened when they finally engaged the OHSAA
Practice. Practice? Man , we talking about practice? Practice.

Doubt ya see many wearing them at practice.

If the state really believes most of these things will last even one weekend tournament they must be more naive than I thought.

The problem with this roll out is that they put requirements in that were untenable, as well as being rather random with the roll-out and tight turn-arounds, which caused teams and groups to scrap playing. Who knows if they'll come back now that one of the most untenable requirements was rescinded. Same thing with the pools.

Seems to me on a broad basis that for Dewine it's been about trying to claim things are operational yet making conditions so untenable that they aren't truly operating. But that's a different conversation.

As an official, it's certainly a relief that masks are not mandatory for us to wear. Now if a league or organization chooses to make them mandatory, then that'll be on them to find willing officials.

And, this goes back to what Mr. Yappi said early in this pandemic. "Don't cancel things until you have too." The situation is changing all the time. Now it looks like fields may be available sooner than later. Will ACME re-think it's shutdown? How about the Wood Bat Tourney? I understand the desire to make a decision and let people now but speaking as a former Marine logistician: it is so hard to turn things on and so easy to turn things off.

The problem with this roll out is that they put requirements in that were untenable, as well as being rather random with the roll-out and tight turn-arounds, which caused teams and groups to scrap playing. Who knows if they'll come back now that one of the most untenable requirements was rescinded. Same thing with the pools.

Seems to me on a broad basis that for Dewine it's been about trying to claim things are operational yet making conditions so untenable that they aren't truly operating. But that's a different conversation.

As an official, it's certainly a relief that masks are not mandatory for us to wear. Now if a league or organization chooses to make them mandatory, then that'll be on them to find willing officials.
I know at Mary's pool in auglaize cry said they are not opening their pool because they cannot comply with the regulations.

The GLCL, I know 2 more teams, Lima and grand lake, said this week they are not fielding teams and that is at least 4 to 5 that I heard of.

Have not heard anything more about acme. When the 26 may date came up I was told some were blowing up the phones talking about trying to bring it back.

The GLCL, I know 2 more teams, Lima and grand lake, said this week they are not fielding teams and that is at least 4 to 5 that I heard of.

Have not heard anything more about acme. When the 26 may date came up I was told some were blowing up the phones talking about trying to bring it back.

I think the GLCL canceled the season league wide.

Local AD's met and agreed not to open baseball fields until the ODH announces that they can. So far, that date is still June 1? I think coaches and players just want to get some games in, but are meeting with a lot of resistance.

I know at Mary's pool in auglaize cry said they are not opening their pool because they cannot comply with the regulations.

As fortfan noted, on Wednesday The Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League cancelled their season due to the pandemic "and the resulting government regulations".

Seems the big issue right now is when are schools going to open their outdoor facililities. A majority of youth baseball and softball is played on school owned facilities in our area. It is hard to plan much of anything without knowing when this will happen. The current order is on until 6-30 as far as I know. School officials in our area have stated they will not do anything until the ODH lifts that order. When Dewine and Husted are asked about this they give no specifics. It is also important for the Ohio Legislature to pass legislation that bans liability for facility owners, coaches, and players for Covid related lawsuits. Am I missing something? It is okay to play but the fields are not available for use. Like a lot the things going on, it makes little sense.

As fortfan noted, on Wednesday The Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League cancelled their season due to the pandemic "and the resulting government regulations".
My bad, must have missed it. I saw two other teams fold, but not the GLCL announcment.

Veteran umpire here too. Just got word from Summer assigner that the mask requirement is there, but the PU will be behind the pitcher. Not a perfect situation at all. The hope would be people are happy to be playing some baseball. We shall see how it goes. There are obviously modified mechanics, but they seem reasonable.

Veteran umpire here too. Just got word from Summer assigner that the mask requirement is there, but the PU will be behind the pitcher. Not a perfect situation at all. The hope would be people are happy to be playing some baseball. We shall see how it goes. There are obviously modified mechanics, but they seem reasonable.

Local rule with the mask?

Ohio rescinded the requirement.