Ohio's Greatest High School Player Ever

Who was the best player in high school?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember him, Nigerian right?

More likely 'Watusi' (the giant people) - AKA Tall Rulers.
sometimes spelled Watussi

From the 1950 film King Solomon's Mines
actual native dance ~ no Hollywood Choreography

The dance I did back in the '60s...

:>---

SALT

Last edited:
Kellogg was hands down the best high school player I have ever watched in Ohio...and yes I saw all 4 years of Lebron at SVSM.

Lebron turned out to be the better player in his career. But if we are going by the original question then it is Kellogg.

Comparing eras is impossible. 1-Lebron James 2-Jerry Lucas (not old enough to see) 3-Clark Kellogg 4-Jimmy Jackson 5-Jon Diebler Not sure if anyone else has mentioned Diebler his numbers and team success is at the top.

Comparing eras is impossible. 1-Lebron James 2-Jerry Lucas (not old enough to see) 3-Clark Kellogg 4-Jimmy Jackson 5-Jon Diebler Not sure if anyone else has mentioned Diebler his numbers and team success is at the top.

It's piece of cake. We've been doing it all thread! :D People supporting Lucas bringing facts. People supporting Bronski bringing wishes and fairy dust.

1. Lucas 2. James 3. Jackson. 4. Kellogg

Now if I were picking a team and got the first five picks, Lucas and James would be my first two but after that, I'm picking to make a team so likely neither Jackson nor Kellogg in their prime high school years would make it. Jackson would be more likely than Kellogg. I have to work from what I saw and I probably saw Kellogg on his worst day ever and a not special day the other time.

Surprisingly, I've not found it easy to find any high school action video on Kellogg? Anyone have a source?

Kellogg was hands down the best high school player I have ever watched in Ohio...and yes I saw all 4 years of Lebron at SVSM.

Lebron turned out to be the better player in his career. But if we are going by the original question then it is Kellogg.
Correct. Lebron's been a media fixture for 20 years, but the topic is high school only. Had Kellogg's HS career had the national exposure which LJ had, people would realize.

Kellogg was so good his senior year they started to televise some of his games. A first at that time as high school games were not televised at that time.

In considering Kellogg's place in the Ohio HS pantheon, how fair is it to consider his team's success? It may not be the decisive factor, but it also cannot be overlooked. Fairly to state or not, Lucas and LeBron played in the seven state finals their teams were eligible to play in; going a collective 5-2 in those games. Kellogg's Vikings reached the state tournament only one time, losing in the final; albeit with an epic performance by Kellogg that still stands the test of time!

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/clark-kelloggs-epic-51-point-g there ame-turns-40-and-continues-to-stand-test-of-time/article_5315bb54-4fe3-11e9-b698-0be42be71174.html

Still, there is something to be said about raising the level of play of your teammates. Both Lucas and LeBron seem to have done that. But when I think of Kellogg, I tend to think that yes, he was great, but he could have been better. Yes, he played on great teams, but they should have been better. Even his Ohio State career leaves me thinking there should have been more. Now part of that was coaching and part of that was the beginnings of the chronic knee condition that dramatically shortened his pro career, but part of that was on him, too.

As far as high school goes, a strong case can be made that he laid the foundation for the success that the St. Joe's program enjoyed after he went on to Columbus. And that is a BIG plus in his favor. Still, if you consider team success at all, then while Kellogg is absolutely a Top 5 player in Ohio HS history, he is IMO solidly #3 behind Lucas and James.

As far as high school goes, a strong case can be made that he laid the foundation for the success that the St. Joe's program enjoyed after he went on to Columbus. And that is a BIG plus in his favor. Still, if you consider team success at all, then while Kellogg is absolutely a Top 5 player in Ohio HS history, he is IMO solidly #3 behind Lucas and James.

you could likewise make a STRONG case that Jimmy Jackson's success laid the foundation for the CLOSING of Macomber. That's how good he was and they knew there were others following.

you could likewise make a STRONG case that Jimmy Jackson's success laid the foundation for the CLOSING of Macomber. That's how good he was and they knew there were others following.
Jimmy Jackson was a great player at every level. I think he was a freshman the first time I ever saw him play. Macomber must have been only AA then, as they lost to Oberlin in a regional final, but it was clear JJ was going to be a star.

In considering Kellogg's place in the Ohio HS pantheon, how fair is it to consider his team's success? It may not be the decisive factor, but it also cannot be overlooked. Fairly to state or not, Lucas and LeBron played in the seven state finals their teams were eligible to play in; going a collective 5-2 in those games. Kellogg's Vikings reached the state tournament only one time, losing in the final; albeit with an epic performance by Kellogg that still stands the test of time!

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/clark-kelloggs-epic-51-point-g there ame-turns-40-and-continues-to-stand-test-of-time/article_5315bb54-4fe3-11e9-b698-0be42be71174.html

Still, there is something to be said about raising the level of play of your teammates. Both Lucas and LeBron seem to have done that. But when I think of Kellogg, I tend to think that yes, he was great, but he could have been better. Yes, he played on great teams, but they should have been better. Even his Ohio State career leaves me thinking there should have been more. Now part of that was coaching and part of that was the beginnings of the chronic knee condition that dramatically shortened his pro career, but part of that was on him, too.

His Ohio State career was held back by the inability of Eldon Miller to utilize talent to its full potential. Miller did much better when his teams didn’t have the star players. Kellogg’s OSU numbers remind me of the old joke about Michael Jordan. Who’s the last person to hold MJ below 20 in a game? Dean Smith.

Which guys are the on the short list of Greatest High School players regardless of State? You can start and end your list there IMHO....

Which guys are the on the short list of Greatest High School players regardless of State? You can start and end your list there IMHO....
While all of this is subjective, here are a couple of national lists:

Maxpreps: https://www.maxpreps.com/news/NVm4Y...igh-school-basketball-players-of-all-time.htm

Bleacher Report: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1760932-the-10-best-high-school-basketball-players-of-all-time

Both have LeBron and Lucas in the Top 10; which is impressive for Ohio! LeBron is ranked #2 in both while Lucas is at #8 and #6, respectively. But if you take into account the time difference, to me, that's pretty much a dead heat. So, again, it seems to be LeBron and Lucas and then everyone else.